Re: new: net/bitcoin

Pascal Stumpf
On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:44:31 +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:

> Bitcoin is an experimental new digital currency that enables instant
> payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer
> technology to operate with no central authority: managing transactions
> and issuing money are carried out collectively by the network.
> Bitcoin is also the name of the open source software which enables
> the use of this currency.
>

> Of course, mining is not very efficient on OpenBSD, but it is still
> useful to manage your wallet, make transactions etc.

Updated port attached (0.7.1), latest update done by Alex Bula.

ok?

bitcoin.tgz (3K) Download Attachment

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Gregor Best
On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 05:09:56PM +0100, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
> [...]
> ok?

There seems to be one superflouus file, patches/patch-srd_db.cpp.org.
Can't say anything else yet, it's still building.

    Gregor Best

Re: new: net/bitcoin

David Hill-3
On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 05:09:56PM +0100, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
:On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:44:31 +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
:> Bitcoin is an experimental new digital currency that enables instant
:> payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer
:> technology to operate with no central authority: managing transactions
:> and issuing money are carried out collectively by the network.
:> Bitcoin is also the name of the open source software which enables
:> the use of this currency.
:>
:>
:
:Updated port attached (0.7.1), latest update done by Alex Bula.
:
:ok?

Updated your port to 0.7.2 and successfully using it on i386.
Attached is the tarball.

bitcoin.tgz (3K) Download Attachment

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Aaron Bieber
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM, David Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 05:09:56PM +0100, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
> :On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:44:31 +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
> :> Bitcoin is an experimental new digital currency that enables instant
> :> payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer
> :> technology to operate with no central authority: managing transactions
> :> and issuing money are carried out collectively by the network.
> :> Bitcoin is also the name of the open source software which enables
> :> the use of this currency.
> :>
> :>
> :> Of course, mining is not very efficient on OpenBSD, but it is still
> :> useful to manage your wallet, make transactions etc.
> :>
> :
> :Updated port attached (0.7.1), latest update done by Alex Bula.
> :
> :ok?
>
> Updated your port to 0.7.2 and successfully using it on i386.
> Attached is the tarball.

Updated to 0.8.5 - working great on amd64.  FWIW I can't reproduce
the deleting /dev/null issue.

bitcoin.tar.gz (4K) Download Attachment

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Fred
On 11/12/13 18:31, Aaron wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM, David Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 05:09:56PM +0100, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
>> :On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:44:31 +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
>> :> Bitcoin is an experimental new digital currency that enables instant
>> :> payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer
>> :> technology to operate with no central authority: managing transactions
>> :> and issuing money are carried out collectively by the network.
>> :> Bitcoin is also the name of the open source software which enables
>> :> the use of this currency.
>> :>
>> :>
>> :> Of course, mining is not very efficient on OpenBSD, but it is still
>> :> useful to manage your wallet, make transactions etc.
>> :>
>> :
>> :Updated port attached (0.7.1), latest update done by Alex Bula.
>> :
>> :ok?
>>
>> Updated your port to 0.7.2 and successfully using it on i386.
>> Attached is the tarball.
>>

> Updated to 0.8.5 - working great on amd64.  FWIW I can't reproduce
> the deleting /dev/null issue.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the port - I can confirm that it is working well on amd64:

port:fred ~> bitcoind -?|head -1
Bitcoin version v0.8.5.0-gef14a26-beta

port:fred ~> dmesg|head -4
OpenBSD 5.4-current (GENERIC.MP) #117: Sun Nov  3 11:37:42 MST 2013
     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
real mem = 8447131648 (8055MB)
avail mem = 8214102016 (7833MB)

Cheers

Fred

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Alexander Pakhomov
bitcoin-qt also compiles:

cd /usr/ports/pobj/bitcoin-.../bitcoin-...
bitcoin-qt.pro: remove "-lrt" line
qmake4 BOOST_LIBS_SUFFIX=-mt INCLUDE_PATH+=/usr/local/include/db4
gmake

Don't know should I make a separate port or it is better to include in this.

12.11.2013, 22:31, "Aaron" <[hidden email]>:

>  On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM, David Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>   On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 05:09:56PM +0100, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
>>   :On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:44:31 +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
>>   :> Bitcoin is an experimental new digital currency that enables instant
>>   :> payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer
>>   :> technology to operate with no central authority: managing transactions
>>   :> and issuing money are carried out collectively by the network.
>>   :> Bitcoin is also the name of the open source software which enables
>>   :> the use of this currency.
>>   :>
>>   :>
>>   :> Of course, mining is not very efficient on OpenBSD, but it is still
>>   :> useful to manage your wallet, make transactions etc.
>>   :>
>>   :
>>   :Updated port attached (0.7.1), latest update done by Alex Bula.
>>   :
>>   :ok?
>>
>>   Updated your port to 0.7.2 and successfully using it on i386.
>>   Attached is the tarball.
>  Updated to 0.8.5 - working great on amd64.  FWIW I can't reproduce
>  the deleting /dev/null issue.

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Aaron Bieber
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Alexander Pakhomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> bitcoin-qt also compiles:
>
> cd /usr/ports/pobj/bitcoin-.../bitcoin-...
> bitcoin-qt.pro: remove "-lrt" line
> qmake4 BOOST_LIBS_SUFFIX=-mt INCLUDE_PATH+=/usr/local/include/db4
> gmake
>
> Don't know should I make a separate port or it is better to include in this.

Not sure either - but here is a version of just bitcoin-qt :D

Maybe a flavor vs a different port?

> 12.11.2013, 22:31, "Aaron" <[hidden email]>:
>
>>  On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM, David Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>   On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 05:09:56PM +0100, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
>>>   :On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:44:31 +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
>>>   :> Bitcoin is an experimental new digital currency that enables instant
>>>   :> payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer
>>>   :> technology to operate with no central authority: managing transactions
>>>   :> and issuing money are carried out collectively by the network.
>>>   :> Bitcoin is also the name of the open source software which enables
>>>   :> the use of this currency.
>>>   :>
>>>   :>
>>>   :> Of course, mining is not very efficient on OpenBSD, but it is still
>>>   :> useful to manage your wallet, make transactions etc.
>>>   :>
>>>   :
>>>   :Updated port attached (0.7.1), latest update done by Alex Bula.
>>>   :
>>>   :ok?
>>>
>>>   Updated your port to 0.7.2 and successfully using it on i386.
>>>   Attached is the tarball.
>>  Updated to 0.8.5 - working great on amd64.  FWIW I can't reproduce
>>  the deleting /dev/null issue.

bitcoin.tar.gz (5K) Download Attachment

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2013/11/14 12:18, Aaron wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Alexander Pakhomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > bitcoin-qt also compiles:
> >
> > cd /usr/ports/pobj/bitcoin-.../bitcoin-...
> > bitcoin-qt.pro: remove "-lrt" line
> > qmake4 BOOST_LIBS_SUFFIX=-mt INCLUDE_PATH+=/usr/local/include/db4
> > gmake
> >
> > Don't know should I make a separate port or it is better to include in this.
>
> Not sure either - but here is a version of just bitcoin-qt :D

The manpages here conflict with the other port in bitcoin.tar.gz..
Also I noticed when reading the Makefile that there's an internal copy
of leveldb, can it use leveldb from ports instead?

> Maybe a flavor vs a different port?

I don't think a flavour makes sense, if you want to build them in the same
port then just subpackage the qt interface, separate ports would be fine with
me too though (but I think I'd have ports/net/bitcoin/qt and
ports/net/bitcoin/daemon or something, so you can use a Makefile.inc so
there's less chance of them getting out-of-sync later).

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Pascal Stumpf
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:30:37 +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2013/11/14 12:18, Aaron wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Alexander Pakhomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > bitcoin-qt also compiles:
> > >
> > > cd /usr/ports/pobj/bitcoin-.../bitcoin-...
> > > bitcoin-qt.pro: remove "-lrt" line
> > > qmake4 BOOST_LIBS_SUFFIX=-mt INCLUDE_PATH+=/usr/local/include/db4
> > > gmake
> > >
> > > Don't know should I make a separate port or it is better to include in this.
> >
> > Not sure either - but here is a version of just bitcoin-qt :D
>
> The manpages here conflict with the other port in bitcoin.tar.gz..
> Also I noticed when reading the Makefile that there's an internal copy
> of leveldb, can it use leveldb from ports instead?

My version in openbsd-wip does that, so maybe you can use that as a
starting point.

> > Maybe a flavor vs a different port?
>
> I don't think a flavour makes sense, if you want to build them in the same
> port then just subpackage the qt interface, separate ports would be fine with
> me too though (but I think I'd have ports/net/bitcoin/qt and
> ports/net/bitcoin/daemon or something, so you can use a Makefile.inc so
> there's less chance of them getting out-of-sync later).

I think the MULTI_PACKAGES approach is the sanest solution; I just didn't
bother with it because I didn't need bitcoin-qt anyway.

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Christian Weisgerber
I think everybody who proposes a bitcoin port should consider whether
something that seriously deals with people's money doesn't warrant
special auditing and whether they are prepared to invest that work.

I'm very uncomfortable with shipping our usual "it seems to build
and run for me" packages and having naive users actually put their
trust in them.  But it is 0P3NB5D! 1T MU57 B3 S3KYOOR!

Re: new: net/bitcoin

Alexander Pakhomov
Welcome, audit it. That would be cool. I guess divide code into separate
processes for gui, core and maybe database would be great.
I actually looked through patches. They obviously fix staff like include dirs.

So you can trust this port as you trust official source.

I don't really care about it since I haven't a LOT of bitcoins.
BTW I don't really understand how to perform reliable security audit.
Remember famous Linux backdoor example?
if ((options == (__WCLONE|__WALL)) && (current->uid = 0))
              retval = -EINVAL;
I looked at this code 3 times before I understand where it is...