Re: mirror.cs.wisc.edu

Roger Midmore
I actually made a mistake for the email address for technical support is
[hidden email]
although the I think csl might work as well since it stands for Computer
Systems Lab. But sending to lab actually creates a complaint that is logged and
taken care of as soon as possible. I forwarded your message on to the
department though. If you notice anything else just send a message to lab with
[CSL #354961] in the subject since someone else noticed that to be the proper
path to the release should be /pub/OpenBSD not /pub/mirrors/OpenBSD. I created
a request for them to add a link to fix that problem as well.

roger

> In gmane.os.openbsd.misc, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I'm an alumni from the CS Department at Wisconsin who uses OpenBSD and I
>> recently got them to update their mirror page to reflect the fact that
>> they mirror the OpenBSD releases. They have had a mirror for some time but
>> I don't think they have openly publicized the fact. Their servers sit on
>> fiber optic lines to the national backbone in Chicago and I have always
>> found it to be one of the fastest OpenBSD mirrors available no matter my
>> location (even in Europe). Sometimes they can be lax in updating their
>> mirror to the current release but if you send a email to [hidden email]
>> (computer systems lab) they will generally update the mirror within a day
>> (M-F 9:00-5:000). I was hoping that Wisconsin could be added to the list
>> of download sites so that other people could take advantage of the
>> services provided by such a outstanding institution.
>>
>> roger
>>
>> btw
>> the actual path to the openbsd releases for both http and ftp is
>> mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/OpenBSD
>
> This mirror seems to be behind a firewall that only permits passive
> transfers, and only using PASV rather than EPSV or Active mode.
> However most clients supporting EPSV use it in preference to PASV,
> so this mirror isn't accessible for them without changing client
> configuration (if they even work out what the problem is).
>
> If it's not possible to adjust the firewall, is there any chance
> that EPSV could be disabled on the server, so clients that support
> it will automatically back to PASV instead?
>
> Thanks!
> Stuart

Re: mirror.cs.wisc.edu

Will Maier
Hi Roger-

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 06:54:32AM -0500, Roger Midmore wrote:

> I actually made a mistake for the email address for technical
> support is [hidden email] although the I think csl might work as
> well since it stands for Computer Systems Lab. But sending to lab
> actually creates a complaint that is logged and taken care of as
> soon as possible. I forwarded your message on to the department
> though. If you notice anything else just send a message to lab
> with [CSL #354961] in the subject since someone else noticed that
> to be the proper path to the release should be /pub/OpenBSD not
> /pub/mirrors/OpenBSD. I created a request for them to add a link
> to fix that problem as well.

Thanks for getting this started. I've contacted the CSL and will
work to get their mirror in order and listed on ftp.html. I work at
hep.wisc.edu, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep them on top of
updates. ;)

--

| web:.......http://www.lfod.us/ | [hidden email] |