Re: man softraid improvement

Sebastian Rother
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:50:20 +0100
Jason McIntyre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 01:34:25AM +0200, Sebastian Rother wrote:
> >
> > Please add the following to man softraid to enable others to get a clue
> > how to encrypt a partition with sofraid.
>
> ok, first off, please mail diffs in future. it takes 10 times longer to
> see what people want without a diff.

Yes, sorry Jason.
But I did not wanted to provide a diff because your phrasing is just
superior.

> > An example to create a encrypted partition from scratch is as follows:
> >
> >            # disklabel -E sd0
> >
> > Modify or create a partition you like to encrypt.
> > Set the FS TYPE to "RAID" instead of 4.2BSD.
> > Save the partition label and exit the interactive mode.
> >
> > bioctl -c C -l /dev/sd0k softraid0
> >

> this seems to be the bit you are adding.

Yes

> softraid(4) already tells people to use RAID for archs which support it.

That is not the point. People do not figure out how to use it JUST for
a partition except a whole drive.

> it is not a blanket thing - not all archs use it. the disklabel stuff
> well, we expect people to know how to use disklabel anyway. if they
> don;t, they can read the man page.

The method I descriped is NOT mentioned anywhere.
People have to assume that softraid just works with WHOLE disks.
Specialy for the encryption this is wrong so the manpage is missleading.
It is not my point of view but I got already serval mails where people
ask me how to set up such a crypto partition.

And I wanna make it clearly: THEY DO NOT ASK because they simply
somehow fear the bullshit by Marco and other "awesome" bunnies with
comments like: "Do you pay me?" "Do it yourself?" "That is not a
supported way of using it" or even more rude things.

*rant*
I think if anybody else would for example mention the slow svnd write
speed Marco just would go b00m. But you've luck: Most people stfu and
go away... and Theo wonders about his income? Impressiv. :-)
*/rant*

> your example doesn;t add anything that isn;t already there.

I encounter PERMANENT requests HOW to encrypt a SINGLE partition with
softraid. it is NOT mentioned in the manpage nor is it CLEAR for
everybody that changing the FS type to RAID will be the solution.

That's why I asked you briefly to add the example.

Don't be pissed Jasons but I post the solution at misc@ to inform
people who are not that creativ like you, marco and/or me about how to
use things. The average admin and co just would not try what I
suggested because it is not mentioned in the manpage.

So for everybody else and the LIST ARCHIVES and just to make things
clear for everybody not just OpenBSD developers:

--
Either you have already created a partition you like to encrypt or you
create a partition during the following step:

disklabel -E wd0

Now either create (a %LETTER) or modify (m %LETTER) a partition.
Take care that the FS TYPE is NOT "4.2BSD" but "RAID".

After you did that please save the changes and leave the interactive
mode. You can now use bioctl to attach the partition to softraid:

bioctl -c C -l /dev/wd0%LETTER softraid0

After this step you can create a dislabel at sd0 or proceed how you
like. If you like to encrypt multiple HDDs or partitions you might need
to add additional softraid devices by
modifying /usr/src/sys/conf/GENERIC and recompiling the kernel or you do nerve Marco who created that piece of code.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Re: man softraid improvement

Damien Miller
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Sebastian Rother wrote:

> > it is not a blanket thing - not all archs use it. the disklabel stuff
> > well, we expect people to know how to use disklabel anyway. if they
> > don;t, they can read the man page.
>
> The method I descriped is NOT mentioned anywhere.
> People have to assume that softraid just works with WHOLE disks.

People who _don't understand disklabel_ assume that softraid just works
with whole disks. It is quite clear what is going on if you get disklabel.

-d

Re: man softraid improvement

Michael Lechtermann-4

Sebastian Rother wrote:
> If you like to encrypt multiple HDDs or partitions you might need
> to add additional softraid devices by
> modifying /usr/src/sys/conf/GENERIC and recompiling the kernel or
> you do nerve Marco who created that piece of code.

You can use multiple encrypted softraid partitions without recompiling
the kernel just fine.

And just for the record, I think the softraid/bioctl manpage is just
fine as it is.

Michael

Re: man softraid improvement

Sebastian Rother
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:57:33 +1000 (EST)
Damien Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Sebastian Rother wrote:
>
> > > it is not a blanket thing - not all archs use it. the disklabel stuff
> > > well, we expect people to know how to use disklabel anyway. if they
> > > don;t, they can read the man page.
> >
> > The method I descriped is NOT mentioned anywhere.
> > People have to assume that softraid just works with WHOLE disks.
>
> People who _don't understand disklabel_ assume that softraid just works
> with whole disks. It is quite clear what is going on if you get disklabel.
>
> -d

Might be logical to you and me.
But the average admin or somebody who's not a permanent openbsd user
might NOT figure it out and he might NOT try it out.

It's nothing about you and me or many others.
I just say I got serval mails during the years HOW to do it exactly.
And the latest arrived yesterday and this was the day I thought the
openbsd manpage lacks clarity.

*cut the beginning* --
Also ich wuerde ganz gerne mal eine Partition auf
meinem Rechner verschluesseln. Jetzt habe ich in ein/zwei Tutorials und
die manpages f. softraid geschaut und habe den Eindruck, dass nur
komplette Platten mit Softraid verschluesselt werden koennen... jetzt
bin ich ein wenig verunsichert.

Ist es denn moeglich mit disklabel eine einzige Partition fuer s.c. zu
definieren?

Kannst du mich evtl. noch auf andere manpages/Webseiten/Tutorials
verweisen, oder ggf. mal ganz grob umreissen, wie ich beim Einrichten
solch einer Partition vorgehen sollte?!
*cut the end* --

So i give a fuck about your oppinion: It AINT clear for the normal
OpenBSD user. But nobody needs the "normal" OpenBSD user... right?

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Re: man softraid improvement

Jason McIntyre-2
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 02:37:53PM +0200, Sebastian Rother wrote:

> > > Please add the following to man softraid to enable others to get a clue
> > > how to encrypt a partition with sofraid.

oh great, now you are cc'ing my private mail to misc. and insulting the
people who i work with. and you wonder why you get short shrift!

> > ok, first off, please mail diffs in future. it takes 10 times longer to
> > see what people want without a diff.
>
> But I did not wanted to provide a diff because your phrasing is just
> superior.

that's not the point. if you send a diff i can see what you want. it
means i don;t have to wade through 2 pages of insults about other
developers.

> The method I descriped is NOT mentioned anywhere.
> People have to assume that softraid just works with WHOLE disks.
> Specialy for the encryption this is wrong so the manpage is missleading.
> It is not my point of view but I got already serval mails where people
> ask me how to set up such a crypto partition.

nowhere does this page say an entire disk must be used. it says
"all component partitions". as i understand it, that is correct.

> --
> Either you have already created a partition you like to encrypt or you
> create a partition during the following step:
>
> disklabel -E wd0
>
> Now either create (a %LETTER) or modify (m %LETTER) a partition.

this is disklabel(8) stuff.

> Take care that the FS TYPE is NOT "4.2BSD" but "RAID".

softraid(4):
        All component partitions must be of type RAID.  Some
        platforms, such as SUN, are not capable of using the RAID
        partition type.  The 4.2BSD partition type should be used
        on such platforms.

> After you did that please save the changes and leave the interactive
> mode. You can now use bioctl to attach the partition to softraid:
>
> bioctl -c C -l /dev/wd0%LETTER softraid0

softraid(4):
        Assemble the RAID volume:
            # bioctl -c 1 -l /dev/wd1a,/dev/wd2a,/dev/wd3a softraid0

bioctl(8):
        -l special[,special,...]
            Use special device list to create within the softraid(4)
            framework.  Requires -c.

this adds nothing that is not already there.

i'm not saying the page cannot be improved, but this is just adding
another example, once that users should be able to come up with if they
read the associated pages.

i think an improvement is more likely to come from the wording of the
text. i'm willing to look at any improvements you might have for that.
if you send a diff. calmly. without insults.

jmc

Re: man softraid improvement

Marc Lagies
Hello

I guess I kind of triggered this discussion since I asked Sebastian
yesterday if softraid crypto works only on whole disks or if it is
applicable on partitions too. I looked into some tutorials, the archive
and in the softraid manpages, but all examples used whole disks, so I've
got uncertain how to start.

After Sebastian pointed out that I just need to create a partition of
type RAID, initialize it using bioctl and go on as in the softraid
manpage, things became clear to me.

Well, I can only speak for myself. But if in the softraid manpage, where
the CRYPTO discipline is explained, at least it would have been
mentioned that it encrypts data on a single disk AND/OR partition,
things would have been more obvious to me. BTW I wasn't aware that
bioctl creates a new volume/disk out of my partition.

Anyway, once again, as it worked out for me I was impressed how easy and
straight forward things actually are on OpenBSD.

Thanks @hackers for this wonderful OS and thanks Sebastian for pointing
me into the right direction.

Marc

Re: man softraid improvement

Marco Peereboom
Bwahahahahaha there really is no end to your stupidity. Thanks for the
morning laugh.

<------- must be this tall to ride

<------- you

You are beyond any help.

On Apr 28, 2009, at 7:37, Sebastian Rother
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> clear for everybody not just OpenBSD developers:
>
> --
> Either you have already created a partition you like to encrypt or you
> create a partition during the following step:
>
> disklabel -E wd0
>
> Now either create (a %LETTER) or modify (m %LETTER) a partition.
> Take care that the FS TYPE is NOT "4.2BSD" but "RAID".
>
> After you did that please save the changes and leave the interactive
> mode. You can now use bioctl to attach the partition to softraid:
>
> bioctl -c C -l /dev/wd0%LETTER softraid0
>
> After this step you can create a dislabel at sd0 or proceed how you
> like. If you like to encrypt multiple HDDs or partitions you might
> need
> to add additional softraid devices by
> modifying /usr/src/sys/conf/GENERIC and recompiling the kernel or
> you do nerve Marco who created that piece of code.

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:19:27 -0500
Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bwahahahahaha there really is no end to your stupidity. Thanks for the
> morning laugh.
>
> <------- must be this tall to ride
> |

> <------- you
>
> You are beyond any help.

Thos who take my but-reports to fix their own crappy code should be
more quiet. Don't you think so too Marco? Or wait: You found each
bug yourself in softraid. ;)

Go an fix NFS, go an fix the oBSD TCP/IP Stack(s) or go an fix your
code. I think there's more to do then insulting me? Never knew I'm such
a importent part of your life. :-)

Btw: You'll solve everything by insulting me more and harder!
Just don't wonder if people assume your mother would have been ashamed.
But she actualy failed baldy during educating you.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Re: man softraid improvement

Henning Brauer
* Sebastian Rother <[hidden email]> [2009-04-28 17:02]:
> Thos who take my but-reports

butt-reports, indeed

BS Web Services, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting - Hamburg & Amsterdam

Re: man softraid improvement

Marco Peereboom
> Thos who take my but-reports to fix their own crappy code should be
> more quiet. Don't you think so too Marco? Or wait: You found each
> bug yourself in softraid. ;)

I fucking wrote so yeah I am painfully aware of bugs in it.  I haven't
seen any bug reports from you that weren't totally retarded.

> Go an fix NFS, go an fix the oBSD TCP/IP Stack(s) or go an fix your
> code. I think there's more to do then insulting me? Never knew I'm such
> a importent part of your life. :-)

I'll fix whatever I feel like spending my time on learning.  Something
you have no concept of.  You just whine like my daughter when she wants
something she can't have.  The difference being that she is cute.

> Btw: You'll solve everything by insulting me more and harder!
> Just don't wonder if people assume your mother would have been ashamed.
> But she actualy failed baldy during educating you.

I can do that all day long and in fact I'd love to.  You are a fucktard.

My mom has plenty of hair so don't worry about it.

> Kind regards,
> Sebastian

Re: man softraid improvement

Neal Hogan

_______________________________________________________________crossed

> Just don't wonder if people assume your mother would have been ashamed.
> But she actualy failed baldy during educating you.
>
> Kind regards,

really?

www.nealhogan.net          www.lambdaserver.com

Re: man softraid improvement

michal-49
Seriously, shut up, the pair of you, it's going no where. You're both being
immature twats about raid. Work on what your bitching about, or shut up, or
at least keep the e-mails between your self. I don't fancy reading through a
bitch fest for 6 more hours. This isn't a celebrity paparazzi magazine last
time I checked!!

> Thos who take my but-reports to fix their own crappy code should be
> more quiet. Don't you think so too Marco? Or wait: You found each
> bug yourself in softraid. ;)

I fucking wrote so yeah I am painfully aware of bugs in it.  I haven't
seen any bug reports from you that weren't totally retarded.

> Go an fix NFS, go an fix the oBSD TCP/IP Stack(s) or go an fix your
> code. I think there's more to do then insulting me? Never knew I'm such
> a importent part of your life. :-)

I'll fix whatever I feel like spending my time on learning.  Something
you have no concept of.  You just whine like my daughter when she wants
something she can't have.  The difference being that she is cute.

> Btw: You'll solve everything by insulting me more and harder!
> Just don't wonder if people assume your mother would have been ashamed.
> But she actualy failed baldy during educating you.

I can do that all day long and in fact I'd love to.  You are a fucktard.

My mom has plenty of hair so don't worry about it.

> Kind regards,
> Sebastian

Re: man softraid improvement

Sebastian Rother
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:33:34 -0500
Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Thos who take my but-reports to fix their own crappy code should be
> > more quiet. Don't you think so too Marco? Or wait: You found each
> > bug yourself in softraid. ;)
>
> I fucking wrote so yeah I am painfully aware of bugs in it.  I haven't
> seen any bug reports from you that weren't totally retarded.

And that's why I blame you.
You introduce code, you have NO serious testing routine and you put
user data at risk and you always hide behind that "WELL IT IS FREE AND
I DO WHAT I WANT" slogan.

> I'll fix whatever I feel like spending my time on learning.  Something
> you have no concept of.  You just whine like my daughter when she wants
> something she can't have.  The difference being that she is cute.

Just I doubt your dougther ever forces you to admit a misstake you did.
But she'll maybe has plenty of time int he future.

> > Btw: You'll solve everything by insulting me more and harder!
> > Just don't wonder if people assume your mother would have been ashamed.
> > But she actualy failed baldy during educating you.
>
> I can do that all day long and in fact I'd love to.  You are a fucktard.
> My mom has plenty of hair so don't worry about it.

Who cares...
Go on Marco...

The more you flame me is the less you fix your bug(s++) is the more
others encounter these bugs is the less users openbsd has is the less
money theo earns is the more you lose reputation...... and so on. :-)

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Re: man softraid improvement

Abel Abraham Camarillo Ojeda
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 04:43:54PM +0100, Michal wrote:

> Seriously, shut up, the pair of you, it's going no where. You're both being
> immature twats about raid. Work on what your bitching about, or shut up, or
> at least keep the e-mails between your self. I don't fancy reading through a
> bitch fest for 6 more hours. This isn't a celebrity paparazzi magazine last
> time I checked!!

... but it's funny...

--
DISCLAIMER: http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
This message will self-destruct in 3 seconds.

Re: man softraid improvement

Neal Hogan

AGAIN _______________________________________________ crossed! Wow!

www.nealhogan.net          www.lambdaserver.com

Re: man softraid improvement

Jordi Espasa Clofent-3
Sebastian,

You're really annoying for this planet.
Please, get a gun and shoot on your fucking head.

Jordi Espasa Clofent

Re: man softraid improvement

roberth-5
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:52:05 +0200
Sebastian Rother <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:33:34 -0500
> Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Thos who take my but-reports to fix their own crappy code should
> > > be more quiet. Don't you think so too Marco? Or wait: You found
> > > each bug yourself in softraid. ;)
> >
> > I fucking wrote so yeah I am painfully aware of bugs in it.  I
> > haven't seen any bug reports from you that weren't totally retarded.
>
> And that's why I blame you.
> You introduce code, you have NO serious testing routine and you put
> user data at risk and you always hide behind that "WELL IT IS FREE AND
> I DO WHAT I WANT" slogan.
>
> > I'll fix whatever I feel like spending my time on learning.
> > Something you have no concept of.  You just whine like my daughter
> > when she wants something she can't have.  The difference being that
> > she is cute.
>
> Just I doubt your dougther ever forces you to admit a misstake you
> did. But she'll maybe has plenty of time int he future.
>
> > > Btw: You'll solve everything by insulting me more and harder!
> > > Just don't wonder if people assume your mother would have been
> > > ashamed. But she actualy failed baldy during educating you.
> >
> > I can do that all day long and in fact I'd love to.  You are a
> > fucktard. My mom has plenty of hair so don't worry about it.
>
> Who cares...
> Go on Marco...
>
> The more you flame me is the less you fix your bug(s++) is the more
> others encounter these bugs is the less users openbsd has is the less
> money theo earns is the more you lose reputation...... and so on. :-)
>

> Kind regards,
> Sebastian

Please stop for a moment and take a step back.
My suggestion for you would be to switch to another operating system or
fork your own version.
You don't seem to like how things are handled here, so you have to look
elsehwere.
Your attitude doesn't benefit anyone, not even yourself.

- Robert

Re: man softraid improvement

Justin Fletcher-4
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Sebastian Rother <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:33:34 -0500
> Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Thos who take my but-reports to fix their own crappy code should be
> > > more quiet. Don't you think so too Marco? Or wait: You found each
> > > bug yourself in softraid. ;)
> >
> > I fucking wrote so yeah I am painfully aware of bugs in it.  I haven't
> > seen any bug reports from you that weren't totally retarded.
>
> And that's why I blame you.
> You introduce code, you have NO serious testing routine and you put
> user data at risk and you always hide behind that "WELL IT IS FREE AND
> I DO WHAT I WANT" slogan.

I normally just lurk and learn, but this last sentence is just dumb all
over.

It is not a "slogan" and there is no hiding.  Read that sentence again.  And
since you have been so unwilling to understand it:  read it again.  Done it
yet?  Three times at least so far?  Good.

Again, it is not a slogan, it is a statement you accept when using the
software.  You seem a little slow, so I'll paste the important parts taken
from a random file in the source tree.  I don't think I took this from any
of the parts you are specifically complaining about, but I don't really care
enough to do so.  The basic premise is the same for all of them.  Here it
is:

 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
 * "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
 * LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
 * FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
 * COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
 * INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
 * BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
 * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
 * CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN
 * ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
 * POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Read that a few times.  Maybe it will sink in.

The developers work on this stuff because they want to.  We are free to use
and enjoy it for whatever we wish but we cannot "blame" them for anything.
The developers, being that they enjoy what they do, are willing to help fix
problems but are under no obligation to do so.  If this agreement does not
work for you then please move on.

(apologies to the devs if I have misspoken or misunderstood the terms under
which you allow us to use your works)