Re: kernel panic on 5.3 running under RedHat KVM in virtio mode

Re: kernel panic on 5.3 running under RedHat KVM in virtio mode

Alexey Suslikov
>> virtio0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "Qumranet Virtio Network" rev 0x00: Virtio
Network Device
>> vio0 at virtio0: address 52:54:00:00:1c:a9

Could you switch network adapter emulation to Intel PRO/1000 to
see if it helps?

Re: kernel panic on 5.3 running under RedHat KVM in virtio mode

janus
Hello Alexey,

unfortunately, my VPS provider says it's virtualized rl0 (does not even get link under OpenBSD) or virtio with vio0. I've asked about Intel and they say they don't support it. (even though KVM seems to support it just fine)

Anything else I can do on my side to help debug this further?

Thank you,
Jan Vlach

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:15:39AM +0300, Alexey Suslikov wrote:
> >> virtio0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "Qumranet Virtio Network" rev 0x00: Virtio
> Network Device
> >> vio0 at virtio0: address 52:54:00:00:1c:a9
>
> Could you switch network adapter emulation to Intel PRO/1000 to
> see if it helps?

Re: kernel panic on 5.3 running under RedHat KVM in virtio mode

Mike Belopuhov-5
Hi Jan,

I can't seem to find which panic message did you get.
Have you tried current already?  There was a vio fix
recently.

Cheers,
Mike

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Jan Vlach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Alexey,
>
> unfortunately, my VPS provider says it's virtualized rl0 (does not even get link under OpenBSD) or virtio with vio0. I've asked about Intel and they say they don't support it. (even though KVM seems to support it just fine)
>
> Anything else I can do on my side to help debug this further?

well, with crashdump you have provided, I think we will revert one of our
VMs to vio to find out similarities, and we can analyze that further when.

> Thank you,
> Jan Vlach

>> Network Device
>>
>> Could you switch network adapter emulation to Intel PRO/1000 to
>> see if it helps?

Re: kernel panic on 5.3 running under RedHat KVM in virtio mode

janus
Hello Alexey,

I have the machine in DDB> again. The error message is the same panic:
_bus_dmamap_load_mbuf:no packet header message again.

Should I report this as another bug report? Would you like to get some
detailed info I haven't provided earlier? Would it make sense to see it for
yourself? The console access is via VNC over SSL ...

I don't have to reboot it into production right away, but please let me
know.

Thank you,
Jan Vlach

--
Jan Vlach
Skype: h.vlach

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Honza Vlach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Alexey,
>
> I have the machine in DDB> again. The error message is the same panic:
> _bus_dmamap_load_mbuf:no packet header message again.

Are you running -current? You should try if not.

> Should I report this as another bug report? Would you like to get some
> detailed info I haven't provided earlier? Would it make sense to see it for
> yourself? The console access is via VNC over SSL ...
>
> I don't have to reboot it into production right away, but please let me
> know.
>
> Thank you,
> Jan Vlach
>

> --
> Jan Vlach
> Skype: h.vlach
> Jabber: [hidden email]
> Mobile: +420 737 925 447
> Office: +420 246 035 584
> [hidden email]
>

> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Alexey Suslikov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Jan Vlach <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello Alexey,
>> >
>> > unfortunately, my VPS provider says it's virtualized rl0 (does not even
>> > get link under OpenBSD) or virtio with vio0. I've asked about Intel and they
>> > say they don't support it. (even though KVM seems to support it just fine)
>> >
>> > Anything else I can do on my side to help debug this further?
>>
>> well, with crashdump you have provided, I think we will revert one of our
>> VMs to vio to find out similarities, and we can analyze that further when.
>>

>> > Thank you,
>> > Jan Vlach

Re: kernel panic on 5.3 running under RedHat KVM in virtio mode

janus
Hello Mike,

the actual message was "panic: _bus_dmamap_load_mbuf: no packed header"

I'm running current as of now, will report if the issue goes away or stays.

Thank you all for you help.

Jan

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 01:10:10PM +0200, Mike Belopuhov wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> I can't seem to find which panic message did you get.
> Have you tried current already?  There was a vio fix
> recently.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Re: kernel panic on 5.3 running under RedHat KVM in virtio mode

janus
Hello Alexey,

The machine did not crash to kernel panic, but lost network connectivity over night running 5.3-current.

I was able to log in to system console, there was nothing unusual in the logs. I did the reboot to verify that there are no problems with the VPS provider ...

If/when this happens again, are there any steps like force crashdump to help to debug it further?

Thank you,
Jan

Jan Vlach <janus <at> volny.cz> writes:

> The machine did not crash to kernel panic, but lost network connectivity
over night running 5.3-current.

> I was able to log in to system console, there was nothing unusual in the
logs. I did the reboot to verify that
> there are no problems with the VPS provider ...
>
> If/when this happens again, are there any steps like force crashdump to
help to debug it further?

5.3 -current snapshot, which you used to install from, may contain
experimental (read "not so stable") features.

I think your network connectivity problem maybe unrelated to issue
itself, however fetching sources and rebuilding kernel will minimize
possible impact of experimental code.

See http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BldKernel

(Please note, in general, testing snapshots "as is" is also important
because newer code will not be committed without broad testing).

Re: kernel panic on 5.3 running under RedHat KVM in virtio mode

janus
Hello again,

The VPS machine lost network connectivity again. Running the commands:

# ifconfig vio0 down
# sh /etc/netstart vio0

restored connectivity.

Will try to run TCPDUMP for longer period of time to see what happens before it loses the connection.

Jan