Re: kernel/4613: Slow SATA performance with nForce4 on amd64

Re: kernel/4613: Slow SATA performance with nForce4 on amd64

Stuart Henderson
The following reply was made to PR kernel/4613; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
To: Jonathan Gray <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: kernel/4613: Slow SATA performance with nForce4 on amd64
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:20:25 +0000

 > Is there something eating all your interrupts perhaps?
 > What does looking at the output of "systat vmstat" for a while
 > reveal?

 I have a customer's DL145G2 I have been able to do a little testing
 with. The only significant interrupts are bge1/pciide1 (it's shared),
 around 100/sec (bge1 about 3-5/sec more than pciide1 according to
 systat vmstat).

 Disabling the nic doesn't help, and the BIOS has exactly one SATA-
 related knob: ON/OFF!

 top shows dd is mostly sleep/biowait, with low cpu use (93%-99.8%
 idle, 0.2%-0.6% interrupt, 0%-6.2% system). As you might expect
 the system is fairly unresponsive when this happens.

 I couldn't find a newer bios on hp.com. I've tried these kernels:

 amd64 GENERIC, GENERIC.MP from source check-out ~24h ago
 amd64 GENERIC, GENERIC.MP latest snapshot
 i386 GENERIC, GENERIC.MP latest snapshot

 I didn't see a difference between the kernels.

 Can you think of anything else to try while I've got the box
 available? (it won't be here for long, unfortunately).