Re: documentation/4608

jmc-6
Synopsis: file sizes in cpio are limited to 4294967295 bytes.

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: jmc
State-Changed-When: Thu Nov 10 03:43:10 MST 2005
State-Changed-Why:
fixed, thanks. i used a slightly different fix though.

Re: documentation/4608

Peter J. Philipp
On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 03:44:00AM -0700, Jason McIntyre wrote:
> Synopsis: file sizes in cpio are limited to 4294967295 bytes.
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: jmc
> State-Changed-When: Thu Nov 10 03:43:10 MST 2005
> State-Changed-Why:
> fixed, thanks. i used a slightly different fix though.

Hi, good job!  But I'm dissatisfied with it somewhat, I was lazy earlier and
didn't give the limits for all the formats and I'm thinking one should know
all the limits for all the sizes in the manpage in order to approach which
format to use best, here are all the format sizes:

extended cpio (format cpio):

11 digit octal value
$ dc
77777777777 p
8589934591 (bytes)

sv4cpio:

8 digit hex value
4294967295 (bytes)

bcpio:

4 byte binary value
4294967295 (bytes)

tar + ustar:

12 digit octal value
68719476735 (bytes)

Can we see a table perhaps in the manpage?  Let me know if you want me to
write it up.

-peter