Re-compute bsd checksum

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re-compute bsd checksum

Thuban
I disabled `ulpt` in the kernel using `config` to use an USB-printer.

Now, at reboot, I see "kernel relinking failed" message.
How to recreate the new checksum? I can't igure out where to find this
information.

Any advice?

Regards.

--
    thuban

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re-compute bsd checksum

Base Pr1me
Don't think you can use config to disable ulpt and KARL. Someone will correct me
if I'm wrong.

On 1/16/18 1:08 PM, Thuban wrote:

> I disabled `ulpt` in the kernel using `config` to use an USB-printer.
>
> Now, at reboot, I see "kernel relinking failed" message.
> How to recreate the new checksum? I can't igure out where to find this
> information.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Regards.
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re-compute bsd checksum

Sterling Archer
In reply to this post by Thuban
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Thuban <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I disabled `ulpt` in the kernel using `config` to use an USB-printer.
>
> Now, at reboot, I see "kernel relinking failed" message.
> How to recreate the new checksum? I can't igure out where to find this
> information.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Regards.
>
> --
>     thuban

sha256 /bsd > /var/db/kernel.SHA256

--
:wq!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re-compute bsd checksum

Thuban
* Sterling Archer <[hidden email]> le [16-01-2018 21:35:56 +0100]:

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Thuban <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I disabled `ulpt` in the kernel using `config` to use an USB-printer.
> >
> > Now, at reboot, I see "kernel relinking failed" message.
> > How to recreate the new checksum? I can't igure out where to find this
> > information.
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > --
> >     thuban
>
> sha256 /bsd > /var/db/kernel.SHA256
>
thanks!

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re-compute bsd checksum

Alexander Hall
In reply to this post by Sterling Archer


On January 16, 2018 9:35:56 PM GMT+01:00, Sterling Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Thuban <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I disabled `ulpt` in the kernel using `config` to use an USB-printer.
>>
>> Now, at reboot, I see "kernel relinking failed" message.
>> How to recreate the new checksum? I can't igure out where to find
>this
>> information.
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> --
>>     thuban
>
>sha256 /bsd > /var/db/kernel.SHA256

While that might be a technically correct answer, I don't think the consequences are being considered. Think about why the situation occurs in the first place.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re-compute bsd checksum

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Base Pr1me
> On 1/16/18 1:08 PM, Thuban wrote:
>> I disabled `ulpt` in the kernel using `config` to use an USB-printer.
>>
>> Now, at reboot, I see "kernel relinking failed" message.
>> How to recreate the new checksum? I can't igure out where to find this
>> information.
>>
>> Any advice?

On 2018-01-16, Base Pr1me <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't think you can use config to disable ulpt and KARL. Someone will correct me
> if I'm wrong.

That's correct. And by implication, you can't use config to disable ulpt
and use syspatch for kernel patches (because they now rely on KARL relinking).

I think the least worst option in this case is probably to build a kernel
from source (using a -stable checkout if you're starting from a release).
As well as installing the kernel, the "make install" stage will install
the link-kit used for KARL, and update kernel.SHA256, in one go.