Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Super Bisquit
BSD
 Best Software Distribution
Brightest Sunshiny Day

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Alex Libman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Fellow BSD Users & Advocates:
>
> In light of the recent violent faculty-supported anti-free-speech riots at
> UC Berkeley, the archaic namesake of BSD Unix, I would like to once again
> revisit the question that I've posed in a less serious tone six years ago:
>
> WHAT *SHOULD* THE B IN BSD STAND FOR?
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-advocacy&m=129750891811408&w=2
>
> The history of the BSD Unix ecosystem, stretching from the late 1960s to
> the present day, involves contributions from many different universities,
> companies, non-profit organizations, and individuals from all over the
> world.  Why should just one (particularly controversial and divisive)
> university get perpetual free advertising for all eternity at the expense
> of every other individual and institution?
>
> I propose that the name BSD should be thought of as a recursive acronym
> (like GNU) for "BSD Software Distribution".  The B in BSD could also stand
> for Beastie, Bell Labs (to which it has a more forthright connection than
> Linux), etc, etc, etc...
>
> This need not be a formal decision by any BSD variant's foundation, BDFL,
> etc - just a preference of some members of the BSD community.
>
> Long live the BSD Software Distribution!
>
> Peace out.
> "

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Subcommander l0r3zz
Alex,
This is BS. The violence was created by Black Bloc, UC had nothing to do
with it. The talk was canceled because the entire situation was unsafe.

I'd you have any questions or would like clarification please reach out.

Sent from my Nexus 6. Big Sister is indexing you.

On Feb 3, 2017 1:10 PM, "Joe Nosay" <[hidden email]> wrote:

BSD
 Best Software Distribution
Brightest Sunshiny Day

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Alex Libman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Fellow BSD Users & Advocates:
>
> In light of the recent violent faculty-supported anti-free-speech riots at
> UC Berkeley, the archaic namesake of BSD Unix, I would like to once again
> revisit the question that I've posed in a less serious tone six years ago:
>
> WHAT *SHOULD* THE B IN BSD STAND FOR?
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-advocacy&m=129750891811408&w=2
>
> The history of the BSD Unix ecosystem, stretching from the late 1960s to
> the present day, involves contributions from many different universities,
> companies, non-profit organizations, and individuals from all over the
> world.  Why should just one (particularly controversial and divisive)
> university get perpetual free advertising for all eternity at the expense
> of every other individual and institution?
>
> I propose that the name BSD should be thought of as a recursive acronym
> (like GNU) for "BSD Software Distribution".  The B in BSD could also stand
> for Beastie, Bell Labs (to which it has a more forthright connection than
> Linux), etc, etc, etc...
>
> This need not be a formal decision by any BSD variant's foundation, BDFL,
> etc - just a preference of some members of the BSD community.
>
> Long live the BSD Software Distribution!
>
> Peace out.
> "

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Alex Libman-2
I am not here to start a general political debate. Â I am not a Trumpsupporter
nor a Clinton supporter, and I have a very long history ofusing and
advocating BSD Unix since the 90s. The question is: if you had started
with a blank slate, choosing aname for a Unix OS that gets contributions
from all over the world,would you name it after that university - or any
one university? Calling BSD "BSD Software Distribution" is just more
appropriate,more politically neutral, and more inclusive.  03.02.2017,
16:15, "Geoff White" <[hidden email]>:

  Alex,This is BS. The violence was created by Black Bloc, UC had
  nothing to do with it. The talk was canceled because the entire
  situation was unsafe.

  I'd you have any questions or would like clarification please reach
  out.  Sent from my Nexus 6. Big Sister is indexing you. On Feb 3,
  2017 1:10 PM, "Joe Nosay" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    BSD
    Â Best Software Distribution
    Brightest Sunshiny Day

    On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Alex Libman <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > My Fellow BSD Users & Advocates:
    >
    > In light of the recent violent faculty-supported
    anti-free-speech riots at
    > UC Berkeley, the archaic namesake of BSD Unix, I would like to
    once again
    > revisit the question that I've posed in a less serious tone six
    years ago:

    > WHAT *SHOULD* THE B IN BSD STAND FOR?
    >
    > http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-advocacy&m=129750891811408&w=2
    >
    > The history of the BSD Unix ecosystem, stretching from the late
    1960s to
    > the present day, involves contributions from many different
    universities,
    > companies, non-profit organizations, and individuals from all
    over the
    > world.  Why should just one (particularly controversial and
    divisive)
    > university get perpetual free advertising for all eternity at
    the expense
    > of every other individual and institution?
    >
    > I propose that the name BSD should be thought of as a recursive
    acronym
    > (like GNU) for "BSD Software Distribution".  The B in BSD
    could also stand
    > for Beastie, Bell Labs (to which it has a more forthright
    connection than
    > Linux), etc, etc, etc...
    >
    > This need not be a formal decision by any BSD variant's
    foundation, BDFL,
    > etc - just a preference of some members of the BSD community.
    >
    > Long live the BSD Software Distribution!
    >
    > Peace out.
    > "

Re: Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Rebecca Page
The B in BSD should and always stand for Berkeley.  Political and social ideas
do not affect historical software naming conventions.

Sent from my iPhone
Rebecca L. Page