Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Stuart Henderson
In gmane.os.openbsd.misc, you wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 03:52:06PM +0800, Alex wrote:
>> Dear OpenBSD users, developers, contributors, My name is Mingjing a *BSD user and lover from China. My friend and I did some wallpapers for OpenBSD and other opensource project in the free time. For now they are designed only for smart phones. The pictures are 1920*1080. I put them on Github (https://github.com/opensourcecn/wallpapers) and we've packaged them into android APKs on Google Play ( http://bit.ly/2JPetLy and http://bit.ly/2qxX8xU). All the wallpapers released in BSD license that you can do what ever you want.  Feel free to use them and give me suggestions if you have. Thanks Mingjing
>
> So, you're taking OpenBSD art without permission and publishing it as a
> "free app" with ads. Why the app needs so many permissions?.

This is *not* under BSD license, it is copyrighted artwork.

It would be nice if the apps were removed without the copyright owner
having to mess around with DMCA notices...

Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Alex-5
Hi Stuart, Thanks for your suggestions. I will remove them. Mingjing ---- On 星期五, 2018-11-09 07:31:59 Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote ---- In gmane.os.openbsd.misc, you wrote: > On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 03:52:06PM +0800, Alex wrote: >> Dear OpenBSD users, developers, contributors, My name is Mingjing a *BSD user and lover from China. My friend and I did some wallpapers for OpenBSD and other opensource project in the free time. For now they are designed only for smart phones. The pictures are 1920*1080. I put them on Github (https://github.com/opensourcecn/wallpapers) and we've packaged them into android APKs on Google Play ( http://bit.ly/2JPetLy and http://bit.ly/2qxX8xU). All the wallpapers released in BSD license that you can do what ever you want.  Feel free to use them and give me suggestions if you have. Thanks Mingjing > > So, you're taking OpenBSD art without permission and publishing it as a > "free app" with ads. Why the app needs so many permissions?. This is *not* under BSD license, it is copyrighted artwork. It would be nice if the apps were removed without the copyright owner having to mess around with DMCA notices...

On 2018-11-09, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stuart, Thanks for your suggestions. I will remove them. Mingjing

Thank you. For reference, the general policy for artwork is on
https://www.openbsd.org/art1.html (ads on the app are a problem
with the "do not make profit from them").

---- On 星期五, 2018-11-09 17:03:56 Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote ---- On 2018-11-09, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote: > Hi Stuart, Thanks for your suggestions. I will remove them. Mingjing Thank you. For reference, the general policy for artwork is on https://www.openbsd.org/art1.html (ads on the app are a problem with the "do not make profit from them"). Yes. I totally agreed with your point. They were removed from the Play Store. Thanks Mingjing