Re: Twisted

Eric Faurot
On 3/31/06, Andrew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

(forwarded to ports@)

> I'm wondering if anyone has taken a look at, or spotted anything nasty in
> the Twisted Python framework.

I have written a port for it, as well as other related packages:
http://ekyo.nerim.net/openbsd/index.html#py-twisted

> It looks like a wonderfully functional suite for async network application
> development, however, it does require Zope 3 which is a little untried at
> the moment.

It only requires zope.interface, which is really a small standalone
subset of zope3.

Eric.

Re: Twisted

asmith-4
Thanks Eric,

Tell me, have you found twisted a worthwhile effort?

-Andy
On 3/31/06, Andrew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

(forwarded to ports@)

> I'm wondering if anyone has taken a look at, or spotted anything nasty in
> the Twisted Python framework.

I have written a port for it, as well as other related packages:
http://ekyo.nerim.net/openbsd/index.html#py-twisted

> It looks like a wonderfully functional suite for async network application
> development, however, it does require Zope 3 which is a little untried at
> the moment.

It only requires zope.interface, which is really a small standalone
subset of zope3.

Eric.

Re: Twisted

Eric Faurot
On 3/31/06, Andrew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Eric,
>
> Tell me, have you found twisted a worthwhile effort?

I have lurked on Twisted mailing lists and related irc channels for a
rather long time, and I have largely digged in the code for curiosity
and education.  So I could somehow follow its evolution.  I found it
altogether very "elegant", with neat ideas and clean design.  It
definitely taught me a lot about python and programming in general.

The problem with the Twisted "community" is the tendency of the
developers to quickly jump to the latest cool idea, giving the
impression that all API are under the threat of deprecation. Again,
it's very good for learning if you can track it, but maybe not so fun
if you have a lot production code to maintain.

So that would probably depend of your goals and abilities. But if you
like python and have some time to spend on it, I think it is a very
enriching thing to look at.  I would definitely consider it for an
application server. Very good for quick prototyping.

Eric.

Re: Twisted

Lars Hansson
On Saturday 01 April 2006 04:14, Andrew Smith wrote:
> Tell me, have you found twisted a worthwhile effort?

Yes, i find twisted a very nice framework and like Eric I have created a port
for it. I have just been too busy lately to put an effort into getting it
commited to the ports tree.

---
Lars Hansson