Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Roger Neth Jr
On 5/26/06, Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christopher Nelson wrote:
> [...]
> > I was wondering what window manager was recommended for use with OpenBSD
> > 3.9?  i.e, one that is reasonably current, and not broken.
>
> Am I the only one that is quite satisfied with fvwm? While not as
> keyboard-only-friendly as ion et al by default, it is quite decent.
>
> Furthermore, it comes with the base install, which is the main reason I
> stick with it. I've tried quite a few window managers (briefly), and I
> really did not find any reason to switch.
>
> /Alexander

I have the same sentiment but never voiced it.

rogern

John 3:16

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Andrés Delfino
I've using ion since a time ago, and I absolutely recommend it to
everyone. At least, give it a try, it's pretty handy.

Greetings.

Andris Delfino

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Marian Hettwer

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Gilles Chehade
I would definitely recommand ion, it is just the perfect window manager for coders :)
I've been a happy fvwm user since 2.7, then a couple years ago happened to walk behind a friend who
had ion as his window manager. He had his screen split in such a way that he had permanent view over
his editor, his compile term, his debug term and documentation, and the sexiest of all is that each
little frame could be arranged as he wanted and that he was almost never using his mouse. I installed
ion, and since then I am totally addicted and find it difficult to work with any other window manager.

if you don't care about fancy modern looking window managers, it is definitely worth a try.

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Stephen Takacs
Marian Hettwer wrote:
> I'm stuck with fluxbox and I'm quite happy. You can define your
> shortcuts at you wish, it's pretty fast and slim too.

I used that (and blackbox) for a very long time, but recently moved on
to ratpoison.  It's very different from other WMs but wonderful in many
ways.  This article is a good introduction:
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/581/

So now my "desktop environment" consists of ratpoison + ratmen + xterm +
screen + xbindkeys and almost exclusively just console/text apps like
lynx, vim, mutt, mc, etc. (firefox and xpdf being the only major
exception).

--
Stephen Takacs   <[hidden email]>   http://perlguru.net/
    4149 FD56 D078 C988 9027  1EB4 04CC F80F 72CB 09DA

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Darrin Chandler
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 05:10:11PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> I would definitely recommand ion, it is just the perfect window manager for coders :)

I can second this recommendation. I used ratpoison for a good while, but
I like ion better in many ways. It's simple, fast, stable and stays out
of your way and leaves your fingers on the keyboard. It handles floating
windows a bit nicer than ratpoison as well, for the occasional pop-up
dialog from Firefox, et al.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
[hidden email]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

akonsu
hello

has anyone tried evilwm (http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/)? is it any good? i
am looking for a good simple keyboard controllable WM. i am doing mostly
development.

thanks
konstantin

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Sam Chill
On 5/30/06, akonsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hello
>
> has anyone tried evilwm (http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/)? is it any good?
Try it yourself. Its one of the smallest wms I have ever used. It
doesn't do much, but it does all it claims well. I've used it in the
past when I just wanted a bunch of xterms and I have no complaints.

-Sam

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Eric Furman-3
On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:22:51 -0700, "akonsu" <[hidden email]> said:
> hello
>
> has anyone tried evilwm (http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/)? is it any good?
> am looking for a good simple keyboard controllable WM. i am doing mostly
> development.

I don't know about evilwm, but a bunch of people have already
mentioned 'ion' that does this well.
--
  Eric Furman

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Martin Toft-2
akonsu wrote:
> hello
>
> has anyone tried evilwm (http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/)? is it any good? i
> am looking for a good simple keyboard controllable WM. i am doing mostly
> development.
>
> thanks
> konstantin

I've been using evilwm for almost a year on my workstation and laptop,
and I must say that I'm very satisfied. I used it a couple of months
with Debian unstable before moving on to OpenBSD 3.8, and later 3.9.
I've made a screenshot available here for limited time:

http://www.cs.aau.dk/~mt/evilwm.png

I use it in conjunction with Enlightenment's terminal, Eterm, and (at
the moment) a nice wallpaper from
http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/opuwa/

Everything you need to know to use evilwm is described in its manual
page. Go and try it out - just install the package. My .xsession and
Eterm theme file are attached for your convenience.

/Martin
<Eterm-0.8.10>
begin main

  begin color
    foreground white
    background black
    tint 0xffffff
    shade 0%
    cursor #ffff00
    cursor_text #880000
    menu_text white
    scrollbar #3f1c00
    unfocusedscrollbar #777777
    pointer white
    video normal
    color 0 rgb:0/0/0
    color 1 rgb:cc/00/00
    color 2 rgb:00/cc/00
    color 3 rgb:cc/cc/00
    color 4 rgb:00/00/cc
    color 5 rgb:cc/00/cc
    color 6 rgb:00/cc/cc
    color 7 rgb:fa/eb/d7
    color 8 rgb:33/33/33
    color 9 rgb:ff/00/00
    color 10 rgb:00/ff/00
    color 11 rgb:ff/ff/00
    color 12 rgb:00/00/ff
    color 13 rgb:ff/00/ff
    color 14 rgb:00/ff/ff
    color 15 rgb:ff/ff/ff
  end color

  begin attributes
    title Eterm-0.8.10
    name Eterm-0.8.10
    iconname Eterm-0.8.10
    scrollbar_type motif
    scrollbar_width 10
    font 0 fixed
    font 1 6x10
    font 2 6x13
    font 3 8x13
    font 4 9x15
  end attributes

  begin pixmaps
    path "/usr/local/share/Eterm/pix/"
  end pixmaps

  begin toggles
    map_alert 1
    visual_bell 0
    login_shell 1
    scrollbar 0
    menubar 0
    utmp_logging 1
    meta8 0
    iconic 0
    home_on_echo 1
    home_on_input 0
    home_on_refresh 1
    scrollbar_floating 0
    scrollbar_right 1
    scrollbar_popup 0
    borderless 0
    save_under 0
    trans 0
    watch_desktop 0
    no_cursor 0
    menubar_move 0
    pause 0
    xterm_select 0
    select_line 0
    select_trailing_spaces 0
    viewport_mode 0
  end toggles

  begin keyboard
    smallfont_key less
    bigfont_key greater
    app_keypad 0
    app_cursor 0
  end keyboard

  begin misc
    print_pipe "lp"
    save_lines 1024
    min_anchor_size 0
    border_width 5
    menu Eterm.menu
    term_name xterm-color
    debug 0
  end misc

end main
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset m 0 4 &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset b off &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms &
/usr/local/bin/Esetroot ~/.wallpaper.png &
/usr/local/bin/evilwm -term /usr/local/bin/Eterm

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Need Coffee
plan9/larswm.  Small, fast, and shuffles windows around so you don't have to.

Also very good for folks that prefer the keyboard over the mouse.

On 5/30/06, Sam Chill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 5/30/06, akonsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > hello
> >
> > has anyone tried evilwm (http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/)? is it any good?
> Try it yourself. Its one of the smallest wms I have ever used. It
> doesn't do much, but it does all it claims well. I've used it in the
> past when I just wanted a bunch of xterms and I have no complaints.
>
> -Sam

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Gleydson Soares
> On 5/30/06, akonsu <*[hidden email]* <[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > hello
> >
> > has anyone tried evilwm (http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/)? is it any
good?
> Try it yourself. Its one of the smallest wms I have ever used. It
> doesn't do much, but it does all it claims well. I've used it in the
> past when I just wanted a bunch of xterms and I have no complaints.
>
> -Sam

i am using the fvwm, default on OpenBSD.
you can to try ion3, is a good choice as well.
http://www.modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/

gsoares

Re: Recommended window manager for OpenBSD

Henry Lenzi
No. Just by lookin at the screenshots you can see it doesn't do what
Ion does. With Ion, space is managed for you (that is its whole
point). The point is stopping with that foolish
oh-where-am-I-going-to-place-this-window attitude.