Re : Re: dd image file to compact flash takes very long

Re : Re: dd image file to compact flash takes very long

Didier Wiroth
Sorry I forgot to post my dmesg ;-((, here it is.

For curiosity, which size do your compactflash card have that you use on your embedded devices?

regards
didier

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of dmesg.boot]

Re: Re : Re: dd image file to compact flash takes very long

Chris Kuethe
On 07/11/05, Didier Wiroth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For curiosity, which size do your compactflash card have that you use on your embedded devices?

256M. You can fit bsd+base+etc+man into 128M if you delete some stuff,
but as it's getting difficult and expensive to find things smaller
than 256M, you may as well go with the the quarter gig. Also, you have
room for logs that way.

On the subject of logging to CF, I'm now running my CF cards rw, and
using them like a normal disk. I've been doing this for at least 6
months now, and I'll post something when I start seeing failures.

CK

OT: Compact Flash Longevity; was Re: dd image file to compact flash takes very long

Matt Garman
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 01:00:18PM -0700, Chris Kuethe wrote:
> On the subject of logging to CF, I'm now running my CF cards rw,
> and using them like a normal disk. I've been doing this for at
> least 6 months now, and I'll post something when I start seeing
> failures.

Are you using "regular" CF cards?  What is the role of the system
for which you did this (i.e. does a lot of writing occur)?

FYI, you can buy "industrial" compact flash cards which are supposed
to have a much longer read-write lifetime, for example:

    http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/44/products_id/334

Of course, I don't know if that's a legitimately more durable CF
card, or just marketing.

Has anyone else out there been brave enough to go rw on their CF
cards?  Results?

CF cards are so small and cheap (not to mention using very little
power and produce very little heat), it would be cool if you could
just plug two or three in there, only actually using one at a time.
If one started having problems, just go to the next (automatic
failover).  Hardware that did that automatically would be REALLY
nice, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to do in software.

Matt

--
Matt Garman
email at: http://raw-sewage.net/index.php?file=email

Re: OT: Compact Flash Longevity; was Re: dd image file to compact flash takes very long

C. Bensend
> Of course, I don't know if that's a legitimately more durable CF
> card, or just marketing.
>
> Has anyone else out there been brave enough to go rw on their CF
> cards?  Results?

Henning has covered the lifespan of these things several times on
misc@.

Benny

--
"Young lady, I yelled at you because that paperwork looked like it
had been done by a drunk four-year-old." -- Dr. Bob Kelso, "Scrubs"

On 07/11/05, Matt Garman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are you using "regular" CF cards?  What is the role of the system
> for which you did this (i.e. does a lot of writing occur)?

Yup, regular cards from one of the big-box retailers. I'm writing them
as /var/log

> FYI, you can buy "industrial" compact flash cards which are supposed
> to have a much longer read-write lifetime, for example:

> Has anyone else out there been brave enough to go rw on their CF
> cards?  Results?

Yes, Henning has covered this before, and I figured I'd just run the
card RW and see. Again, no problems. I have a big stack of CF cards so
when one dies I'm not totally up the creek...

CK

Re: OT: Compact Flash Longevity; was Re: dd image file to compact flash takes very long

Alexander Hall
Matt Garman wrote:

> Has anyone else out there been brave enough to go rw on their CF
> cards?  Results?

I have been brave (read: lazy) enough to keep my Soekris running with a
single root partition mounted r/w on my (home) gateway Soekris box since
i got it for my birthday in June (how pleased I was to see 3.7
pre-installed on the CF - thanks Wim :) ). No massive traffic, but I
expect it to log stuff quite regularly (i just noticed the pflog adding
in general at least one packet per minute).

I've been thinking about mfs'ing and mounting r/o but since it's
non-critical, I'll probably keep it as it is and see what happens. I
even got a laptop hd in it, but I would like to keep it in standby mode
as much as possible.

Anyway, no issues whatsoever, so far.

/Alexander

Re: OT: Compact Flash Longevity; was Re: dd image file to compact flash takes very long

Shane J Pearson
On 09/11/2005, at 6:38 AM, Alexander Hall wrote:

>> Has anyone else out there been brave enough to go rw on their CF
>> cards?  Results?
>>

> I have been brave (read: lazy) enough to keep my Soekris running
> with a single root partition mounted r/w on my (home) gateway
> Soekris box since i got it for my birthday in June (how pleased I
> was to see 3.7 pre-installed on the CF - thanks Wim :) ). No
> massive traffic, but I expect it to log stuff quite regularly (i
> just noticed the pflog adding in general at least one packet per
> minute).

I have a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB in my Sun Ultra 10 firewall which has been
r/w for a little more than 6 months now. Nothing special as far as
logging goes yet. No problems. Took the plunge after Henning pointed out
the Sandisk longevity calculations document.

Shane J Pearson

Re: OT: Compact Flash Longevity; was Re: dd image file to compact flash takes very long

Andreas Bartelt-2

Matt Garman wrote:
> Has anyone else out there been brave enough to go rw on their CF
> cards?  Results?

I'm using a 512 MB Sandisk Ultra II "24/7" in a home server for about 2
years now. No problems.

I suppose power failures can be a problem with CompactFlash cards (don't
know if it just was bad coincidence). Before the Ultra II I used a
regular Sandisk 512 MB CompactFlash card, which broke when I had a power
loss at home. Fortunately, Sandisk cards have a long warranty period :)

regards,
Andreas