Re: Puffy Security smtpd out of date ( closed )

Re: Puffy Security smtpd out of date ( closed )

Geir Svalland-2
Thanks to everybody who answered my post.
Even those who rose their finger at me for posting this to the list.

I've sent a note to Thomas Dwyer with a heads up on this outdated tutorial,
and asked if it's possible to get an update. It's a shame good work like
this is
of no use anymore. According to my opinion, it's well written and easy
to follow.

/Hasse

Re: Puffy Security smtpd out of date ( closed )

Sean Kamath-5
> On Mar 8, 2019, at 10:38, Geir Svalland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's a shame good work like
> this is
> of no use anymore. According to my opinion, it's well written and easy
> to follow.
>
> /Hasse

So, I’ll take issue with the “well written” part of that.  It doesn’t do much in the way of explaining anything, just a lot of “put this here”, “put that there”.

I used https://frozen-geek.net/openbsd-email-server-1/ (and the second part) when I was migrating from Solaris (for reasons — I’ve had mailservers running on Solaris since about 1992, when it was SunOS) to OpenBSD (hosted on Vultr;  I’ve been using OpenBSD since 2.6 or so, mostly for firewalls).  I would argue that this is better from the standpoint of explaining why things are the way they are (in the doc), with examples, and, even though it was a little out of date, I found it easy to understand the underlying concepts pretty easily (granted, as I’ve said, I’ve been running mail servers forever, but OpenBSD brings some interesting differences (mostly in PF-enabled routing of connections).

Of course, how to docs tend to be a personal thing…

Now to stop dragging my heals on upgrading from 6.3 -> 6.4. . .

Sean

Re: Puffy Security smtpd out of date ( closed )

Janne Johansson-3
Den fre 8 mars 2019 kl 20:59 skrev Sean Kamath <[hidden email]>:
> > It's a shame good work like this is
> > of no use anymore. According to my opinion, it's well written and easy to follow.
> >

> So, I’ll take issue with the “well written” part of that.  It doesn’t do much in the way of explaining anything, just a lot of “put this here”, “put that there”.

The intro to The Book of PF has a REALLY good mantra here on the "This
is not a HOWTO"
https://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/preface.html

I feel it applies equally well to running your own mail server as
building your own firewall.

On 2019-03-11 09:58, Janne Johansson wrote:

> Den fre 8 mars 2019 kl 20:59 skrev Sean Kamath <[hidden email]>:
>>> It's a shame good work like this is
>>> of no use anymore. According to my opinion, it's well written and easy to follow.
>>>
>> So, I’ll take issue with the “well written” part of that.  It doesn’t do much in the way of explaining anything, just a lot of “put this here”, “put that there”.
> The intro to The Book of PF has a REALLY good mantra here on the "This
> is not a HOWTO"
> https://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/preface.html
>
> I feel it applies equally well to running your own mail server as
> building your own firewall.

Well, that was your 2cents to the discussion.
We all have a right to a opinion and we all are on different levels of
knowledge and might have different
milestones when learning. Some times I like to dig deeper, and some
times I just want something up'n
running as fast as possible in a somewhat safe and secure way. Then
taking care of the "why and what's."

I've been running both Sendmail and Postfix for years without any major
difficulties, but this is my first
try on OpenSMTP.

After a couple of days of googling, I found this article :
https://poolp.org/posts/2018-05-21/switching-to-opensmtpd-new-config/

and got very surprised that none of the "know better's" didn't know
about this, or didn't care to
enlighten me and pointing me in this direction. This was exactly what I
was looking for.

/Hasse

Re: Puffy Security smtpd out of date ( closed )

Gilles Chehade-7
On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:34:58AM +0000, Geir Svalland wrote:

> >> So, I???ll take issue with the ???well written??? part of that.  It doesn???t do much in the way of explaining anything, just a lot of ???put this here???, ???put that there???.
> > The intro to The Book of PF has a REALLY good mantra here on the "This
> > is not a HOWTO"
> > https://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/preface.html
> >
> > I feel it applies equally well to running your own mail server as
> > building your own firewall.
>
> Well, that was your 2cents to the discussion.
> We all have a right to a opinion and we all are on different levels of
> knowledge and might have different
> milestones when learning. Some times I like to dig deeper, and some
> times I just want something up'n
> running as fast as possible in a somewhat safe and secure way. Then
> taking care of the "why and what's."
>
> I've been running both Sendmail and Postfix for years without any major
> difficulties, but this is my first
> try on OpenSMTP.
>
> After a couple of days of googling, I found this article :
> https://poolp.org/posts/2018-05-21/switching-to-opensmtpd-new-config/
>
> and got very surprised that none of the "know better's" didn't know
> about this, or didn't care to
> enlighten me and pointing me in this direction. This was exactly what I
> was looking for.

glad it helps, though keep in mind that I'm writing about code that is on
my laptop or that's very very very fresh and likely to change.

we're nearly a year apart from that post and I can't even remember all of
the changes, fixes and improvements.

--
Gilles Chehade       @poolpOrg

https://www.poolp.org                 tip me: https://paypal.me/poolpOrg

On 2019-03-11 16:38, Gilles Chehade wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:34:58AM +0000, Geir Svalland wrote:

>>> The intro to The Book of PF has a REALLY good mantra here on the "This
>>> is not a HOWTO"
>>> https://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/preface.html
>>>
>>> I feel it applies equally well to running your own mail server as
>>> building your own firewall.
>> Well, that was your 2cents to the discussion.
>> We all have a right to a opinion and we all are on different levels of
>> knowledge and might have different
>> milestones when learning. Some times I like to dig deeper, and some
>> times I just want something up'n
>> running as fast as possible in a somewhat safe and secure way. Then
>> taking care of the "why and what's."
>>
>> I've been running both Sendmail and Postfix for years without any major
>> difficulties, but this is my first
>> try on OpenSMTP.
>>
>> After a couple of days of googling, I found this article :
>> https://poolp.org/posts/2018-05-21/switching-to-opensmtpd-new-config/
>>
>> and got very surprised that none of the "know better's" didn't know
>> about this, or didn't care to
>> enlighten me and pointing me in this direction. This was exactly what I
>> was looking for.
>>
> glad it helps, though keep in mind that I'm writing about code that is on
> my laptop or that's very very very fresh and likely to change.
>
> we're nearly a year apart from that post and I can't even remember all of
> the changes, fixes and improvements.

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, I understand it's been a lot of progress since then and started to
catch up on the
excellent man pages :-)

/Hasse