Re: OT: serial console through S-Video 7-pin locking 'dub' connector?

Re: OT: serial console through S-Video 7-pin locking 'dub' connector?

Eric Huiban
Le ven 20 jui 2007 14:59:17 CEST, vladas  a C)crit:

>Is it possible to connect to server's serial console through the
>S-Video 7-pin locking "dub" connector - RS-232C cable [1]
>directly

The answer is simple as possible : No.

> without using Video/S-Video to VGA/Component Video
>Converterconverter?

"With..." or "Without..." :  No.

RS232 and video signals have nothing in common... except
perhaps their respective ground connexion.

>I need to connect to OpenBSD (RC-232C side) from windoze
> (S-Video side).

You will have better result playing with USB-Serial adapter
when trying to fiddle with RS232 on Windows(tm) side...

Note : take care of  USB-Serial adapter capability to send BREAK
signal if you realy need it...

>[1] The pic is small/hopeless, but:
>
>http://www.sanyo-lcdp.com/option/images/poa-ca-vgas.jpg
>One end is RC-232C, other - S-Video (7 pins).

This is VGA-to-SVideo (dumb) adapter. In no case you can connect
RS232 to VGA with this kind of cable excepted if you're using a
hammer to convince a 9 pins DB plug to fit with a 15 pins DB plug.
(Even in this case, i'm not sure that the concept is functionnaly
correct).

Eric.

Re: OT: serial console through S-Video 7-pin locking 'dub' connector?

Vladas Urbonas
Eric,

Did you actually read my question?

Re: OT: serial console through S-Video 7-pin locking 'dub' connector?

Eric Huiban
Le ven 20 jui 2007 16:06:56 CEST, vladas  a C)crit:

>Eric,
>

>On 7/20/07, Eric Huiban grompf@grom
>pf.net> wrote:
>> 9 pins DB plug to fit with a 15 pins DB plug.
>

>Did you actually read my question?

Yes : how to connect PC S-video plug (output connector only, separate
chrominance and luminance signals, around 0 to 0.75Volts linear electrical
signal, around 6MHz signals, video format) to a RS232 server system serial
console  plug (input and output connector, input and output asynchronous
serial lines with handshaking, -30V<--> -3V and +3V <--> +30V discrete
electrical signal, around 250kHz signals, UART format) using dumb
video cables ? This was confirmed by google after looking for "poa-ca-vgas"
which is only a classical Video to VGA adapter (et vice-versa) and not a
proprietary video+serial combo cable

The other point was the possibility to use a video to vga/composite video
smart converter. But there is no VGA signal in the configuration you seemed
to refer to.

Regards,
Eric.

On 7/20/07, vladas wrote:
> Eric,
>
> On 7/20/07, Eric Huiban wrote:
> > 9 pins DB plug to fit with a 15 pins DB plug.
>
> Did you actually read my question?

List,

Sorry for the noise, user error.