Re: OT - gmail alternatives

Gilles Chehade-7
Own box :-)

lh <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>what are the good available alternatives (security/privacy) for gmail
>you're using?
>
>Cheers!

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

Francesco Vollero
Il 09/12/10 16.07, Gilles Chehade ha scritto:
> Own box :-)

Thumbs up for Gilles! He's right, There are no better mail system than
your.own.server

> lh<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> what are the good available alternatives (security/privacy) for gmail
>> you're using?
>>
>> Cheers!

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

Kapetanakis Giannis
On 09/12/10 17:07, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> Own box :-)
>
> lh<[hidden email]>  wrote:

That's ofcourse the best solution.

But YOU have to make it secure and private. If you're not able to do
this yourself, then your best option is to choose a strong password and
change it often. Also you have to trust the machine and the browser
you're login in from, to be "clean" and secure. So no logins from your
friend's (hacker wannabe) laptop.

Giannis

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

James Hozier
The only issue I have with running my own mail server is that I can receive e-mails, but for whatever reason I cannot send out e-mails. I'm assuming it's because mail servers are denying e-mails from my IP or something since I'm on a residential connection. It doesn't even reach the Spam box, just doesn't show up at all even though a test with telnet says the mail was successfully sent out.

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

patsy-10
On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 03:33:26PM -0800, James Hozier wrote:
> The only issue I have with running my own mail server is that I can receive e-mails, but for whatever reason I cannot send out e-mails. I'm assuming it's because mail servers are denying e-mails from my IP or something since I'm on a residential connection. It doesn't even reach the Spam box, just doesn't show up at all even though a test with telnet says the mail was successfully sent out.

I believe it's an issue with DNS records. If I recall correctly, you need to ask your ISP to change some DNS records. I don't recall what needs to be done, perhaps somebody else can clarify this.

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, dyndns.com's "outbound mailhop" service gives you an SMTP server you can send email from: it's the one I use and I've so far had no problems sending email.

Patsy

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

steve conrad
On 09/12/2010 4:33 PM, James Hozier wrote:
> The only issue I have with running my own mail server is that I can receive e-mails, but for whatever reason I cannot send out e-mails. I'm assuming it's because mail servers are denying e-mails from my IP or something since I'm on a residential connection. It doesn't even reach the Spam box, just doesn't show up at all even though a test with telnet says the mail was successfully sent out.

The problem isthat you won't pass muster when you're checked for a
reverse IP lookup. It's highly unlikely you'll want to use as your
hostname the alphabet soup your ISP assigns whatever machine is on your
current IP, and even if you do, your machine won't be delegated to
handle mail within that domain.

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

Dave Anderson-4
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, James Hozier wrote:

>The only issue I have with running my own mail server is that I can
>receive e-mails, but for whatever reason I cannot send out e-mails. I'm
>assuming it's because mail servers are denying e-mails from my IP or
>something since I'm on a residential connection. It doesn't even reach
>the Spam box, just doesn't show up at all even though a test with
>telnet says the mail was successfully sent out.

Do you have a static IP address?  Many spam-filters drop messages from
any IP address known to be in a dynamically-assigned pool.

Do you have reverse-DNS properly set up?  That is, if your IP address is
A.B.C.D, is there a 'D.C.B.A.in-addr.arpa PTR <FQDN>' DNS record (where
<FQDN> is the fully-qualified domain name for your mailserver, e.g.,
mail-server.example.com.)?  Dropping messages from systems without this
is also popular.

Also, some ISPs block or divert all outgoing traffic from their
customers to port 25.

Running my own mailserver from my home has worked for me for 15+ years.

        Dave

--
Dave Anderson
<[hidden email]>

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

James Hozier
My ISP refuses to modify any DNS settings and won't give me a static IP address  without a business account, so no proper reverse DNS. I don't have the resources to run my own nameservers, so what alternatives do I have in terms of running my own mailserver?

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

philippe aubry
I have a suggestion, but I'm not sure about that, if you use a dynamic
dns like dyndns ?

> My ISP refuses to modify any DNS settings and won't give me a static IP address  without a business account, so no proper reverse DNS. I don't have the resources to run my own nameservers, so what alternatives do I have in terms of running my own mailserver?

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

Adam M. Dutko
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM, James Hozier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My ISP refuses to modify any DNS settings and won't give me a static IP
> address  without a business account, so no proper reverse DNS. I don't have
> the resources to run my own nameservers, so what alternatives do I have in
> terms of running my own mailserver?

I use a Linode VPS (~20 USD).  They give full root access and a bunch of
distributions to choose from (unfortunately no OpenBSD atm).  They also give
you the ability to manage your own host records via a web interface and a
cheap backup option.

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

steve conrad
On 09/12/2010 6:20 PM, James Hozier wrote:
> My ISP refuses to modify any DNS settings and won't give me a static IP address  without a business account, so no proper reverse DNS. I don't have the resources to run my own nameservers, so what alternatives do I have in terms of running my own mailserver?

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

This sort of thing might be helpful.

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

L. V. Lammert
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, James Hozier wrote:

> The only issue I have with running my own mail server is that I can
> receive e-mails, but for whatever reason I cannot send out e-mails. I'm
> assuming it's because mail servers are denying e-mails from my IP or
> something since I'm on a residential connection. It doesn't even reach
> the Spam box, just doesn't show up at all even though a test with telnet
> says the mail was successfully sent out.

Two things are probably occurring:

1) Many ISPs block outbound email on port 25 to prevent SPAM abuse.
2) You will not be able to send email directly to most email servers
because your server identify cannot be verified.

The best solution is to forward your SMTP traffic trough your ISP.

        Lee

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

roberth-5

# host 96.250.43.19
19.43.250.96.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pool-96-250-43-19.nycmny.fios.verizon.net.

1. verizon blocks outgoing port 25
2. your ip range is shitlisted in most dnsbl
3. your reverse lookup matches the "dynamic ip"-match a lot of mx
   simply wont accept mail from.

X. if you want to host the mx on your residential line,
   get a static ip with your own domain/reverse.
Y. switch providers, oh, that is a nogo in most parts of amerika,
   sorry u'r fkd.
Z. rent a server to host your mx on. :)

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

roberth-5
On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:41:16 -0700
Lemuel Houyhnhnm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/12/2010 6:20 PM, James Hozier wrote:
> > My ISP refuses to modify any DNS settings and won't give me a
> > static IP address  without a business account, so no proper reverse
> > DNS. I don't have the resources to run my own nameservers, so what
> > alternatives do I have in terms of running my own mailserver?
> >

> http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
>
> This sort of thing might be helpful.

non-matching forward- and reverse-lookup will not make postmaster happy
to accept your mail.

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

James Hozier
> From: roberth <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: OT - gmail alternatives
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Friday, December 10, 2010, 1:56 AM
>
> # host 96.250.43.19
> 19.43.250.96.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
> pool-96-250-43-19.nycmny.fios.verizon.net.
>
> 1. verizon blocks outgoing port 25
> 2. your ip range is shitlisted in most dnsbl
> 3. your reverse lookup matches the "dynamic ip"-match a lot
> of mx
>    simply wont accept mail from.
>
> X. if you want to host the mx on your residential line,
>    get a static ip with your own
> domain/reverse.
> Y. switch providers, oh, that is a nogo in most parts of
> amerika,
>    sorry u'r fkd.
> Z. rent a server to host your mx on. :)

I called Verizon and asked if they block outgoing port 25 and they said they
do not. They told me they block no ports at all, so I don't know

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
On 09/12/10 22:20, James Hozier wrote:
> My ISP refuses to modify any DNS settings and won't give me a static IP address  without a business account, so no proper reverse DNS. I don't have the resources to run my own nameservers, so what alternatives do I have in terms of running my own mailserver?

You'll probably want to use some free dns servers online (like
freedns.afraid.org).  Maybe another ISP might help in getting a static IP.
I have a residential line, from a mostly-business ISP, who charges $250
for a symettric static-ip connection.  It sucks, but I run lots of my
own stuff at home.

On 09/12/10 22:37, Adam M. Dutko wrote:
> I use a Linode VPS (~20 USD).  They give full root access and a bunch of
> distributions to choose from (unfortunately no OpenBSD atm).  They also give
> you the ability to manage your own host records via a web interface and a
> cheap backup option.

ARP Networks DOES have OpenBSD VPS.  I run my mail there.  How secure it
is, is still up to how trustworthy they are.  Probably lots more that gmail.

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

David Newman-2
On 12/9/10 12:34 PM, Kapetanakis Giannis wrote:

> On 09/12/10 17:07, Gilles Chehade wrote:
>> Own box :-)
>>
>> lh<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
> That's ofcourse the best solution.
>
> But YOU have to make it secure and private. If you're not able to do
> this yourself, then your best option is to choose a strong password and
> change it often. Also you have to trust the machine and the browser
> you're login in from, to be "clean" and secure. So no logins from your
> friend's (hacker wannabe) laptop.

The private part may introduce a false sense of security. While it's
easy enough to set up authentication and encryption between your clients
and your mail server, it's pretty much a sure thing that some (and most
likely all) connections *between* mail servers will send stuff in the
clear.

Unless you're only exchanging mail with other servers that use the same
auth/crypto that you have, the privacy ends at the mail server. Of
course client privacy is much better than nothing (especially for
connections over scary coffee-shop Wi-Fi etc.) but end-to-end privacy
requires something else, like encrypting mail before it leaves the client.

dn

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

Mark Shroyer-6
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:01:41 -0300, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ARP Networks DOES have OpenBSD VPS.  I run my mail there.

I'll second ARP Networks.  I've been running Postfix and stuff on a
FreeBSD VPS there for many months now, and they've been wonderful.
They virtualize using KVM, so you can run OpenBSD or any other BSD or
Linux you like, no OS support for Xen required.

> How secure it is, is still up to how trustworthy they are.  Probably
> lots more that gmail.

At the very least, if the U.S. government wants to read your email,
they'd have to perform a little more manual labor than what's entailed
by whatever point-and-click interface they probably have to Gmail and
the other major webmail services :)

--
Mark Shroyer
http://markshroyer.com/contact/

Re: OT - gmail alternatives

Mark Shroyer-6
On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 22:34:40 +0200, Kapetanakis Giannis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> But YOU have to make it secure and private. If you're not able to do
> this yourself, then your best option is to choose a strong password and
> change it often. Also you have to trust the machine and the browser
> you're login in from, to be "clean" and secure. So no logins from your
> friend's (hacker wannabe) laptop.

Also, that password you use to protect your email account?  Make sure
you use it *only* for your email account, never for another account on
any other site.

Say you use your Gmail address to register for some crappy web site,
and you use the same password as for Gmail.  When the crappy site gets
hacked, the attacker will look at the list of user email addresses and
passwords (this being a crappy site, the passwords aren't properly
hashed) and use them to try logging into Gmail and the other webmail
providers.  With access to your email account, the attacker can then
perform a password reset on Amazon and your banking and other sites,
and really make things miserable...