Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Adam Steen
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On February 23, 2018 12:37 PM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​​
>
> On 2018/02/23 06:46, Adam Steen wrote:
>
> > Thank you that worked perfectly, now for some testing.
> >
> > Please note
> >
> > pkg-config -> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/pkg-config/
> >
> > is different from
> >
> > pkgconf -> https://github.com/pkgconf/pkgconf
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Adam
>
> Yes, I realise, but pkgconf just copied pkg.m4 from pkg-config.

Hi Stuart

Thank you, I didn't realise.

Hi Ports

Here is a new port "devel/pkgconf", it is needed are part of my long term
goal to port MirageOS/Solo5 to OpenBSD/vmm.

After using it pgfconf over the weekend on my laptop, it appears to be working
fine.

I hope to get this committed to ports.

Cheers
Adam

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Adam Steen
On February 28, 2018 12:26 PM, Adam Steen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​​

and attached.

pkgconf-1.4.2.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Adam Steen
On February 28, 2018 12:27 PM, Adam Steen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On February 28, 2018 12:26 PM, Adam Steen [hidden email] wrote:

> > > Yes, I realise, but pkgconf just copied pkg.m4 from pkg-config.
> >
> > Hi Stuart
> >
> > Thank you, I didn't realise.
> >
> > Hi Ports
> >
> > Here is a new port "devel/pkgconf", it is needed are part of my long term
> >
> > goal to port MirageOS/Solo5 to OpenBSD/vmm.
> >
> > After using it pgfconf over the weekend on my laptop, it appears to be working
> >
> > fine.
> >
> > I hope to get this committed to ports.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Adam
>
> and attached.
Good Morning Ports

I would like to get this added, is there anything more I need to do?

Cheers
Adam

pkgconf-1.4.2.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Klemens Nanni-2
On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 09:16:11PM -0500, Adam Steen wrote:
> On February 28, 2018 12:27 PM, Adam Steen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On February 28, 2018 12:26 PM, Adam Steen [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Here is a new port "devel/pkgconf", it is needed are part of my long term
> > >
> > > goal to port MirageOS/Solo5 to OpenBSD/vmm.
Glad to hear that, thanks for your efforts!

> I would like to get this added, is there anything more I need to do?
Please use a single space before and tabs after = in Makefile.

VERSION can be zapped and put into DISTNAME directly.

The port looks good to me so far except for tests, you're currently
missing devel/kyua-cli as TDEP. With it, the following error occurs:

        kyua --config=none test --kyuafile='./Kyuafile'  --build-root='.'
        kyua: E: Failed to create directory /pkgconf-1.4.2_writes_to_HOME: Permission denied.

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Adam Steen
On March 7, 2018 10:49 PM, Klemens Nanni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​​
>
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 09:16:11PM -0500, Adam Steen wrote:

> Glad to hear that, thanks for your efforts!
>
> > I would like to get this added, is there anything more I need to do?
>
> Please use a single space before and tabs after = in Makefile.
>
> VERSION can be zapped and put into DISTNAME directly.
>
> The port looks good to me so far except for tests, you're currently
>
> missing devel/kyua-cli as TDEP. With it, the following error occurs:
>
> kyua --config=none test --kyuafile='./Kyuafile' --build-root='.'
>
> kyua: E: Failed to create directory /pkgconf-1.4.2\_writes\_to_HOME: Permission denied.

Hi Klemens

I am new to ports, I have completed the fixes you suggested and now am working on ensuring the tests complete.

I take it the ports infrastructure prevents ports from writing to $HOME, and this where the error is coming from. To fix the problem do I need to configure the tests to write to, somewhere ? /tmp? instead? where is the preferred location? or am I miss understanding something?

Cheers
Adam

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Stuart Henderson
On 2018/03/09 22:00, Adam Steen wrote:

> On March 7, 2018 10:49 PM, Klemens Nanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ​​

> > Glad to hear that, thanks for your efforts!
> >
> > > I would like to get this added, is there anything more I need to do?
> >
> > Please use a single space before and tabs after = in Makefile.
> >
> > VERSION can be zapped and put into DISTNAME directly.
> >
> > The port looks good to me so far except for tests, you're currently
> >
> > missing devel/kyua-cli as TDEP. With it, the following error occurs:
> >
> > kyua --config=none test --kyuafile='./Kyuafile' --build-root='.'
> >
> > kyua: E: Failed to create directory /pkgconf-1.4.2\_writes\_to_HOME: Permission denied.
>
> Hi Klemens
>
> I am new to ports, I have completed the fixes you suggested and now am working on ensuring the tests complete.
>
> I take it the ports infrastructure prevents ports from writing to $HOME, and this where the error is coming from. To fix the problem do I need to configure the tests to write to, somewhere ? /tmp? instead? where is the preferred location? or am I miss understanding something?

Easiest is probably to set the PORTHOME make variable, something
like "PORTHOME= ${WRKDIR}" should do.

Ports infrastructure sets a distinctive HOME by default so that ports
writing there are more easily identified. This used to be more of a
problem when the "fake-install" stage was run as root, but nowadays
the build is more likely to fail due to lack of permissions rather
than quietly run and create this /xxx_writes_to_HOME directory.

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Adam Steen
On March 10, 2018 10:30 AM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​​
>
> On 2018/03/09 22:00, Adam Steen wrote:

> > > Glad to hear that, thanks for your efforts!

> > > Please use a single space before and tabs after = in Makefile.
> > >
> > > VERSION can be zapped and put into DISTNAME directly.
> > >
> > > The port looks good to me so far except for tests, you're currently
> > >
> > > missing devel/kyua-cli as TDEP. With it, the following error occurs:
> > >
> > > kyua --config=none test --kyuafile='./Kyuafile' --build-root='.'
> > >
> > > kyua: E: Failed to create directory /pkgconf-1.4.2\_writes\_to_HOME: Permission denied.
> >
> > Hi Klemens
> >
> > I am new to ports, I have completed the fixes you suggested and now am working on ensuring the tests complete.
> >
> > I take it the ports infrastructure prevents ports from writing to $HOME, and this where the error is coming from. To fix the problem do I need to configure the tests to write to, somewhere ? /tmp? instead? where is the preferred location? or am I miss understanding something?
>
> Easiest is probably to set the PORTHOME make variable, something
>
> like "PORTHOME= ${WRKDIR}" should do.
>
> Ports infrastructure sets a distinctive HOME by default so that ports
>
> writing there are more easily identified. This used to be more of a
>
> problem when the "fake-install" stage was run as root, but nowadays
>
> the build is more likely to fail due to lack of permissions rather
>
> than quietly run and create this /xxx\_writes\_to_HOME directory.

Hi Stuart

That worked a treat, i will run through the setup again and make sure things work from "wo to go" and then come back with a complete port.

Cheers
Adam

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Adam Steen
On March 11, 2018 9:21 AM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​​
>
> On 2018/03/11 03:23, Adam Steen wrote:
>
> > I updated the TEST\_DEPENDS and PORT\_HOME and everything seems to be correct.
> >
> > Can we add this?
>
> We'd normally align thjngs a bit with tabs in the Makefile, and start
>
> with a 0.0 library version in SHARED_LIBS. Also is there a reason for the
>
> ONLY\_FOR\_ARCHS?
>
> I've attached a proposed new Makefile, with that it's OK sthen@ to import.

alignment with tabs noted.

The only read for ONLY_FOR_ARCHS, was I don't have any other arch to easily test with.

With a library version of 0.0 in SHARED_LIBS; I now get a problem with the plist.

The rule "@lib lib/libpkgconf.so.${LIBpkgconf_VERSION}" was generated by make plist,  which seems to require a version of 3.0, I am not sure how to reconcile this?

Adam

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Stuart Henderson
On 2018/03/11 06:40, Adam Steen wrote:
> The only read for ONLY_FOR_ARCHS, was I don't have any other arch to easily test with.

Generally leave that out, unless either you know there's a reason why
something is arch-specific, or it's known to fail and can't be fixed easily.

> With a library version of 0.0 in SHARED_LIBS; I now get a problem with the plist.
>
> The rule "@lib lib/libpkgconf.so.${LIBpkgconf_VERSION}" was generated by make plist,  which seems to require a version of 3.0, I am not sure how to reconcile this?

You just need to recompileto use the version from SHARED_LIBS. Ports
infrastructure passes that in to the build, the number is under control
of the port rather than the upstream software.

(Sometimes this doesn't work as-is - in that case it needs fixing because
very occasionally we do need to force library bumps in ports following a
change in the base OS - but that's unusual for things that use libtool or
cmake to build their libraries).

Re: [New] pkgconf 1.4.2

Adam Steen
On March 11, 2018 11:13 AM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​​
>
> On 2018/03/11 06:40, Adam Steen wrote:
>
> > The only read for ONLY\_FOR\_ARCHS, was I don't have any other arch to easily test with.
>
> Generally leave that out, unless either you know there's a reason why
>
> something is arch-specific, or it's known to fail and can't be fixed easily.
>
> > With a library version of 0.0 in SHARED_LIBS; I now get a problem with the plist.
> >
> > The rule "@lib lib/libpkgconf.so.${LIBpkgconf_VERSION}" was generated by make plist, which seems to require a version of 3.0, I am not sure how to reconcile this?
>
> You just need to recompileto use the version from SHARED_LIBS. Ports
>
> infrastructure passes that in to the build, the number is under control
>
> of the port rather than the upstream software.
>
> (Sometimes this doesn't work as-is - in that case it needs fixing because
>
> very occasionally we do need to force library bumps in ports following a
>
> change in the base OS - but that's unusual for things that use libtool or
>
> cmake to build their libraries).

Just to confirm after a make clean=all, the make install was successful, with a 0.0 version'd  lib.

thank you for you help Stuart.

Adam