Re: Installer sucks ! (Re: OpenBSD on VMware ESXi)

Re: Installer sucks ! (Re: OpenBSD on VMware ESXi)

Otto Moerbeek
On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 08:42:05AM +0000, Roderick wrote:

> Please, delete the cc to [hidden email] in any answer.
>
> I am now, after hours typing in the damned web console and dealing
> with the buggy installer, a little bit furious. This is definitively
> not the OpenBSD I know!
>
> I did manage to install OpenBSD in VMWare, with the "autopartition", but I
> want a custom partition due to my spare resources. I will now do a pause to
> calm myself and then continue trying. I appreciate any hint
> and thank for it very much.

You must be doing something wrong. Since it installer surely leats you
use a custom label. But since you are not showgin waht you did and you
start insulting remarks, you won't get much help.

> My remarks:
>
> (1) There no way to write a custom disklabel. After doing it, after giving the
>     command w and leaving with x, or after leaving with q, the installer
>     overwrites it with something arbitrary that may be unusable (then
>     one will note it no later than when loading the sets due to error
>     "cannot determine prefetch ...").OA

see above

> (2) "disklabel -E" in cd65.iso puts a cpg=1 for all partitions: is that
>      correct?

yes. The cpg field is used for some redundant fs metadata these days
and will be filled in by newfs.

> (4) No way to leave the disklabel as it is. I wrote one with the shell
>     of cd65.iso (and cpg=1), also did nefwfs on the partitions, but
>     the installer do not show the partition it anywhere. One is compelled
>     to type again, and again comes the unusable arbitrary modification.

see above

> (5) Auto allocaton puts partitions for X11 even if one selects
>     that one will run no X11.

You can easily edit the auto label and delete partitions you do not want.

> (6) No vi in cd65.iso (but at least ed).
>
> Rodrigo

Re: Installer buggy (Re: OpenBSD on VMware ESXi)

Roderick

The problem was not the installer, see below answer of Jan Vlach.

Rodrigo