Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

Mik J
Hello,
It is possible to redirect the boot sequence to the console using
# cat /etc/boot.conf
set tty com0
But then there is no screen output. How is it possible to have both of them ?

Thank you

Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

Kapfhammer, Stefan
Hello,

write in /etc/boot.conf

stty com0 115200  # Set the correct baud rate for com port
set tty com0          # Redirect output to console port com0

Edit your baudrate. For e.g. APU2 it's 115200, may differ
from other pc's.

-stefan

Thank you

On 2016-10-17, Mik J <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> It is possible to redirect the boot sequence to the console using
> # cat /etc/boot.conf
> set tty com0
> But then there is no screen output. How is it possible to have both of them ?

There's no dual-console support in OpenBSD.

Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

Eike Lantzsch
On Montag, 17. Oktober 2016 11:34:02 PYST Mik J wrote:
> Hello,
> It is possible to redirect the boot sequence to the console using
> # cat /etc/boot.conf
> set tty com0
> But then there is no screen output. How is it possible to have both of them
> ?
>

> Thank you

what about
doas script -a /dev/ttyp1
from ttyp0?
Oh, you mean during boot?
Cheers
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE

Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

Alexander Hall
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:34:02AM +0000, Mik J wrote:
> Hello,
> It is possible to redirect the boot sequence to the console using
> # cat /etc/boot.conf
> set tty com0
> But then there is no screen output. How is it possible to have both of them ?
>

> Thank you

This does not answer your question, but I'd like to point you at

# dmesg -s

which may or may not be an alternative solution to the problem at hand.

/Alexander

Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

Mik J
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your answers and new ideas.

Stuart, why is it not possible. Is it a real limitation or because openbsd is
just not coded to do that and it could be possible if the proper code was
implemented ?

Thank you

> Le Mardi 18 octobre 2016 0h04, Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit
:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:34:02AM +0000, Mik J wrote:
>
>>  Hello,
>>  It is possible to redirect the boot sequence to the console using
>>  # cat /etc/boot.conf
>>  set tty com0
>>  But then there is no screen output. How is it possible to have both of
them

> ?
>>

>>  Thank you
>
> This does not answer your question, but I'd like to point you at
>
> # dmesg -s
>
> which may or may not be an alternative solution to the problem at hand.
>
> /Alexander

Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

Stuart Henderson
There's no technical reason that I know of, just as far as I know, nobody
has written the code.

On 19 October 2016 07:42:54 Mik J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thank you for your answers and new ideas.
>

> Stuart, why is it not possible. Is it a real limitation or because openbsd
> is just not coded to do that and it could be possible if the proper code
> was implemented ?
>

> Thank you
>

>> Le Mardi 18 octobre 2016 0h04, Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit
:
>> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:34:02AM +0000, Mik J wrote:
>>
>>>  Hello,
>>>  It is possible to redirect the boot sequence to the console using
>>>  # cat /etc/boot.conf
>>>  set tty com0
>>>  But then there is no screen output. How is it possible to have both of
them

>> ?
>>>

>>>  Thank you
>>
>> This does not answer your question, but I'd like to point you at
>>
>> # dmesg -s
>>
>> which may or may not be an alternative solution to the problem at hand.
>>
>> /Alexander

Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

Mike.
On 10/17/2016 6:02 PM, Alexander Hall wrote:

> # dmesg -s
>
> which may or may not be an alternative solution to the problem at hand.

Thank-you for that dmesg pointer.  That solves a low-grade issue for me.

Re: How to both redirect to console and screen

jungle Boogie
On 18 October 2016 at 23:42, Mik J <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stuart, why is it not possible. Is it a real limitation or because openbsd is
> just not coded to do that and it could be possible if the proper code was
> implemented ?

I asked about this a few months back. Stuart recommended it as a good
project to get started:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=146180222606547&w=2

--
-------