Re: Fwd: Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument

Alexander Hall
Stefan Wollny wrote:

> Am 11.03.2018 um 01:13 schrieb Alexander Hall:
>> On March 9, 2018 12:55:31 AM GMT+01:00, Stefan Wollny<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Am 09.03.2018 um 00:09 schrieb Stefan Wollny:
>>>> Am 08.03.2018 um 23:25 schrieb Stefan Wollny:
>>>>> Am 08.03.2018 um 22:11 schrieb Stefan Wollny:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Am 08.03.2018 um 17:44 schrieb Stefan Wollny:
>>>>>>> Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry 10-Smartphone.
>>>>>>>    Originalnachricht
>>>>>>> Von: Kevin Chadwick
>>>>>>> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 8. März 2018 17:28
>>>>>>> An:[hidden email]
>>>>>>> Betreff: Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 14:47:43 +0100
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Has anyone a clue what might have happend and how to solve the
>>> issue?
>>>>>>>> I searched the net but didn't find any substantial infos on this.
>>> As
>>>>>>>> the error happends with all three USB-keys I have this is
>>> unlikely to
>>>>>>>> be cause of the trouble.
>>>>>>> The bootloader normally lists the disks that the bios sees
>>> beforehand
>>>>>>> e.g.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> disk: hd0+ hd1+ sr0*
>>>>>>>>> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.34
>>>>>>> Perhaps they have been moved around?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I tried
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> boot hd1a:/bsd
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> but got the same message.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I can enter # fsck -fy hd0a but ‎this just gets me a prompt
>>> without any action. BTW: This is a SSD.
>>>>>> OK - back at home I downloaded install63.iso and burned a CD which
>>> does
>>>>>> start. Choosing "(U)pgrade" I am presented with "Available disks
>>> are:
>>>>>> sd0 sd1" - but both are "not a valid root disk". Back to the shell
>>> I
>>>>>> tried fdisk but I get "fdisk: sd0: No such file or directory"
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Could this be an issue with the bootloader or is it the encryption
>>> of
>>>>>> softraid0 that hinders the upgrade?
>>>>>>
>>>> tb@ provided another valuable hint:
>>>> I can start the boot-process with 'boot sr0a:/bsd' but this ends with
>>> a
>>>> panic:
>>>>
>>>> ...
>>>> softraid0 at root
>>>> scsibus4 at softraid0:256 targets
>>>> panic: root device (...) not found
>>>> Stopped at db_enter+0x5:    popq    %rbp
>>>>      TID    PID    UID    PRFLAGS    PFLAGS    CPU COMMAND
>>>> *    0        0        0    0X10000        0X200    OK    swapper
>>>> ...
>>>>
>>> OK . final remarks for tonight:
>>>
>>> I can start 'boot sr0a:/bsd.rd' but trying to upgrade is the same
>>> dead-end road - "sd0 is not a valid root device".
>>>
>>> 'fdisk sd0' shows the expected '*' before the partition number.
>> It might help to see the actual output.
>>
>>> 'disklabel sd0' shows the expected fstype "RAID" 'for sd0a.
>> It would certainly help to see the output here. Does it span the *entire* disk, from 0 to the end?
>>
>>> Doing 'bioctl -c C -l /dev/sd0a' says "KDF hint has invalid size".
>>>
>>> 'installboot -nv sd0a' misses '/usr/mdec/biosboot' - there is only
>>> '/usr/mdec/mbr'.
>>>
>>> While the 'upgrade' started from 'boot sr0a:/bsd.rd' does not see 'sd0'
>>> the 'install' process started from the CD actually does.
>> "sd0 is not a valid root device" does not say it does not *see* the device. It says "sd0 is not a valid root device", which is totally correct, as it only holds some raid metadata and the corresponding encrypted data.
>>
>> If sd0(a) is a single RAID partition, and sd1 holds the key, your root disk should appear as sd2 (or whatever the next unused sdN is).
>>
>> So, if "sd0 is not a valid root device" and "sd1 is not a valid root device", what gives for sd2?
>>
>> Please provide as much output as possible from the process. Your interpretation of it is far less helpful in understanding the problem at hand.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Alexander
> Hi Alexander,
>
> thank you so much for the time you took to look at my posts and to
> reply.I type everything from the screen:
>
> At boot time the system reports:
>
> Using drive 0, partition 3.
> Loading......
> probing: pc0 mem[630k 3250M 7M 246M 452K 12798M a20=on]
> disk: hd0+ hd1+ sr0

I'd say something is strange here already. sr0 should have an asterisk
after it. I cannot find the relevant man page to tell you (or me) why,
though. :-d

>  >> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.34
> open(hd0a:/etc/boot.conf): Invalid argument
> boot>
> cannot open hd0a:/etc/random.seed: Invalid argument
> booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument
>   failed(22). will try /bsd
> boot>
> cannot open hd0a:/etc/random.seed: Invalid argument
> booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument
>   failed(22). will try /bsd
> Turning timeout off.
> boot>

As said, neither hd0 nor hd1 should be bootable. The assembled sr0
should be.

>
> At this point the system stops the process but is still reachable:
>
> boot> ls
> stat(hd0a:/.): Invalid argument
> boot> boot hd1a:/bsd
> cannot open hd1a:/etc/random.seed: Invalid argument
> booting hd1a:/bsd: open hd1a:/bsd: Invalid argument
>   failed(22). will try /bsd
> boot>
>
> Starting /bsd from sr0a is possible but the result is the kernel crash I
> already reported.
> BUT: I can start bsd.rd!!! By this I was able to post the dmesg (for
> your convenience again at the end).
>
> boot> boot sr0a:/bsd.rd
> [ ... ]
> Welcome to the OpenBSD/amd64 6.3 installation program.
> (I)nstall, (U)pgrade, (A)utoinstall or (S)hell?
>
> If I choose to (U)pgrade neither sd0 nor sd1 are recognized as valid
> root disks:

Not surprising. There should exist an sd2 at this point though.

> [ ... ]
> Available disks are: sd0 sd1.
> Which disk is the root disk? ('?' for details) {sd0] <enter>
> sd0 is not a valid root disk.
> Available disks are: sd0 sd1.
> Which disk is the root disk? ('?' for details) {sd1] <enter>
> sd1 is not a valid root disk.
> Available disks are: sd0 sd1.
> Which disk is the root disk? ('?' for details) {sd0] ? <enter>
> sd0: ATA, Samsung SSD 850, EXM0 naa.500253887007d4c5 (953.9G)
> sd1: Intenso, Micro Line serial.090c1000090600003175 (7.3G)
> Available disks are: sd0 sd1.
>
> At this point I terminate the upgrade program via 'strg - c' and choose
> 'install'.
> After the initial questions, after 'What timezone are you in?' I again get:
>
> Available disks are: sd0 sd1.
> Which disk is the root disk? ('?' for details) {sd0] ? <enter>
> sd0: ATA, Samsung SSD 850, EXM0 naa.500253887007d4c5 (953.9G)
> sd1: Intenso, Micro Line serial.090c1000090600003175 (7.3G)
> Available disks are: sd0 sd1.

This is correct. sd0 is currently not a valid root disk, but of course
you are allowed to wipe it and make it a (non-raid) root disk if you
install OpenBSD again.

>
> Again I terminate the upgrade program via 'strg - c'.
>
> # fdisk sd0
> Disk: sd0    geometry: 124519/255/63 [2000409264 Sectors]
> Offset: 0    Signature: 0xAA55
>              Starting Ending         LBA Info:
>   #: id      C   H   S -      C H   S [       start:        size ]
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   0: 00      0   0   0 -      0 0   0 [           0:           0 ] unused
>   1: 00      0 0   0 - 0   0   0 [ 0:           0 ] unused
>   2: 00      0 0   0 - 0   0   0 [ 0:           0 ] unused
> *3: A6      0   1   2 - 124518 254  63 [ 64: 2000397671 ] OpenBSD
> # fdisk sd1
> fdisk: sd1: No such file or directory
> # cd /dev
> # sh MAKEDEV sd1
> # cd /
> #
> # fdisk sd1
> Disk: sd1 geometry: 7450/64/32 [15257600 Sectors]
> Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55
> Starting Ending LBA Info:
>   #: id C   H   S -      C   H S [ start: size ]
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   0: 00 0   0   0 -      0   0 0 [ 0:           0 ] unused
>   1: 00      0 0   0 - 0   0   0 [ 0:           0 ] unused
>   2: 00      0 0   0 - 0   0   0 [ 0:           0 ] unused
> *3: A6      0   2   1 -   7679 32  19 [ 64: 15727571 ] OpenBSD

This is strange. #3 is larger than the disk.

> # disklabel sd0
> # /dev/rsd0c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: SCSI disk
> label: Samsung SSD 850
> duid: 8f476f3b90524800
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 255
> sectors/cylinder: 16065
> cylinders: 124519
> total sectors: 2000409264
> boundstart: 64
> boundend: 2000397735
> drivedata: 0
>
> 16 partitions:
> # size offset  fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
>    a: 2000397671 64    RAID
>    c: 2000409264 0  unused
> # disklabel sd1
> # /dev/rsd1c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: SCSI disk
> label: UDisk
> duid: 48b048b607e82bac
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 255
> sectors/cylinder: 16065
> cylinders: 979
> total sectors: 15257600
> boundstart: 64
> boundend: 15257600
> 15257600drivedata: 0
>
> 16 partitions:
> # size offset  fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
>    a: 16001 64    RAID
>    c: 15257600         0 unused
> d: 16065 16065    RAID
> e: 16065 32130    RAID
> f: 15679440 48195    RAID

Just curious, are these crypto raid keys for multiple systems?

> disklabel: partition f: partition extend past end of unit

Like fdisk, this smells bad.

> #
>
>
> A disk 'sd2' is not offered - even if I make 'sh MAKEDEV sd2' in /dev no
> such disk is offered thereafter.
>
> # fdisk sd2
> fdisk: sd2: Device not configured
> #
>
>
> I hope these information helps to analyse further.

Thoughts:
1. That "overuse" of sd1 is bad but is probably not your problem
    in this case.
2. Your key disk or sd0 disk raid metadata could be corrupt.
3. Did you by any chance detach the filesystem at any time? IIRC
    that would make it not auto-assemble after reboot, which might
    explain some of the observed behaviours.
4. Did you by any chance run installboot on sd0 or sd1? That'd be wrong.
5. If you're capable of doing so, booting a kernel with softraid debug
    turned on might reveal something.

Other than that, I'm afraid I don't have better guesses...

>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> Best,
> STEFAN
>
>
>
>
> OpenBSD 6.3-beta (RAMDISK_CD) #38: Thu Mar  8 10:01:01 MST 2018
>      [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/RAMDISK_CD
> real mem = 17079074816 (16287MB)
> avail mem = 16557678592 (15790MB)
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.7 @ 0xeb500 (35 entries)
> bios0: vendor American Megatrends Inc. version "1.03.06" date 06/25/2014
> bios0: Notebook W65_67SZ
> acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
> acpi0: tables DSDT FACP APIC FPDT ASF! SSDT SSDT SSDT MCFG HPET SSDT SSDT SSDT DMAR
> acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
> cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
> cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.60GHz, 3093.25 MHz
> cpu0: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,ABM,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,SENSOR,ARAT,MELTDOWN
> cpu0: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
> cpu0: apic clock running at 99MHz
> cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=0.2.1.2.4, IBE
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 2 pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 24 pins
> acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
> acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus 2 (RP01)
> acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 3 (RP03)
> acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus 4 (RP04)
> acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus 1 (P0P2)
> acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus -1 (P0PA)
> acpiprt6 at acpi0: bus -1 (P0PB)
> acpiprt7 at acpi0: bus 1 (PEG0)
> acpiec0 at acpi0
> acpicpu at acpi0 not configured
> acpitz at acpi0 not configured
> "INT3F0D" at acpi0 not configured
> "MSFT0001" at acpi0 not configured
> "ETD0403" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNPC000" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0C" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0E" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0D" at acpi0 not configured
> "ACPI0003" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0A" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
> "INT340E" at acpi0 not configured
> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Core 4G Host" rev 0x06
> ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel Core 4G PCIE" rev 0x06: msi
> pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
> vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel HD Graphics 4600" rev 0x06
> wsdisplay1 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> "Intel Core 4G HD Audio" rev 0x06 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 not configured
> xhci0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "Intel 8 Series xHCI" rev 0x05: msi
> usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
> uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel xHCI root hub" rev 3.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel 8 Series MEI" rev 0x04 at pci0 dev 22 function 0 not configured
> ehci0 at pci0 dev 26 function 0 "Intel 8 Series USB" rev 0x05: apic 2 int 16
> usb1 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
> uhub1 at usb1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel 8 Series HD Audio" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 27 function 0 not configured
> ppb1 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5
> pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
> ppb2 at pci0 dev 28 function 2 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5: msi
> pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
> iwm0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260" rev 0xbb, msi
> ppb3 at pci0 dev 28 function 3 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5: msi
> pci4 at ppb3 bus 4
> rtsx0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek RTL8411 Card Reader" rev 0x01: msi
> sdmmc0 at rtsx0: 4-bit, dma
> re0 at pci4 dev 0 function 2 "Realtek 8168" rev 0x0a: RTL8411 (0x4880), msi, address 80:fa:5b:14:87:b4
> rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 PHY, rev. 5
> ehci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 8 Series USB" rev 0x05: apic 2 int 23
> usb2 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
> uhub2 at usb2 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel HM86 LPC" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 not configured
> ahci0 at pci0 dev 31 function 2 "Intel 8 Series AHCI" rev 0x05: msi, AHCI 1.3
> ahci0: port 0: 1.5Gb/s
> ahci0: port 5: 6.0Gb/s
> scsibus0 at ahci0: 32 targets
> cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <Optiarc, DVD RW AD-7740H, 1.00> ATAPI 5/cdrom removable
> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <ATA, Samsung SSD 850, EXM0> SCSI3 0/direct fixed naa.500253887007d4c5
> sd0: 976762MB, 512 bytes/sector, 2000409264 sectors, thin
> "Intel 8 Series SMBus" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 not configured
> isa0 at mainbus0
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5 irq 1 irq 12
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay1
> uhub3 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x05e3 USB2.0 Hub" rev 2.00/9.01 addr 2
> uhidev0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech Trackball" rev 1.10/2.20 addr 3
> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
> uhid at uhidev0 not configured
> umass0 at uhub3 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "SMI Technology Intenso Micro Line" rev 2.00/10.00 addr 4
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
> sd1 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <Intenso, Micro Line, > SCSI2 0/direct removable serial.090c1000090600003175
> sd1: 7450MB, 512 bytes/sector, 15257600 sectors
> uhidev1 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev1: iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev1
> wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
> wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay1
> uhidev2 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 1 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev2: iclass 3/1, 8 report ids
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 2 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 3 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 4 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 8 not configured
> uhidev3 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 2 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev3: iclass 3/0, 33 report ids
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 16 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 17 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 32 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 33 not configured
> "vendor 0x8087 product 0x07dc" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 6 at uhub0 port 7 not configured
> uhub4 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x8087 product 0x8008" rev 2.00/0.05 addr 2
> uhub5 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x8087 product 0x8000" rev 2.00/0.05 addr 2
> softraid0 at root
> scsibus2 at softraid0: 256 targets
> root on rd0a swap on rd0b dump on rd0b
> iwm0: could not read firmware iwm-7260-16 (error 2)
> iwm0: failed to load init firmware
> uhidev0 detached
> sd1 detached
> scsibus1 detached
> umass0 detached
> wskbd1: disconnecting from wsdisplay1
> wskbd1 detached
> ukbd0 detached
> uhidev1 detached
> uhidev2 detached
> uhidev3 detached
> uhub3 detached
> uhub3 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x05e3 USB2.0 Hub" rev 2.00/9.01 addr 2
> uhidev0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech Trackball" rev 1.10/2.20 addr 3
> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
> uhid at uhidev0 not configured
> umass0 at uhub3 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "SMI Technology Intenso Micro Line" rev 2.00/10.00 addr 4
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
> sd1 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <Intenso, Micro Line, > SCSI2 0/direct removable serial.090c1000090600003175
> sd1: 7450MB, 512 bytes/sector, 15257600 sectors
> uhidev1 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev1: iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev1
> wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
> wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay1
> uhidev2 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 1 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev2: iclass 3/1, 8 report ids
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 2 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 3 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 4 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 8 not configured
> uhidev3 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 2 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev3: iclass 3/0, 33 report ids
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 16 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 17 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 32 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 33 not configured
> OpenBSD 6.3-beta (RAMDISK_CD) #38: Thu Mar  8 10:01:01 MST 2018
>      [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/RAMDISK_CD
> real mem = 17079074816 (16287MB)
> avail mem = 16557678592 (15790MB)
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.7 @ 0xeb500 (35 entries)
> bios0: vendor American Megatrends Inc. version "1.03.06" date 06/25/2014
> bios0: Notebook W65_67SZ
> acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
> acpi0: tables DSDT FACP APIC FPDT ASF! SSDT SSDT SSDT MCFG HPET SSDT SSDT SSDT DMAR
> acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
> cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
> cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.60GHz, 3093.26 MHz
> cpu0: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,ABM,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,SENSOR,ARAT,MELTDOWN
> cpu0: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
> cpu0: apic clock running at 99MHz
> cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=0.2.1.2.4, IBE
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 2 pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 24 pins
> acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
> acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus 2 (RP01)
> acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 3 (RP03)
> acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus 4 (RP04)
> acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus 1 (P0P2)
> acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus -1 (P0PA)
> acpiprt6 at acpi0: bus -1 (P0PB)
> acpiprt7 at acpi0: bus 1 (PEG0)
> acpiec0 at acpi0
> acpicpu at acpi0 not configured
> acpitz at acpi0 not configured
> "INT3F0D" at acpi0 not configured
> "MSFT0001" at acpi0 not configured
> "ETD0403" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNPC000" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0C" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0E" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0D" at acpi0 not configured
> "ACPI0003" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0A" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
> "INT340E" at acpi0 not configured
> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Core 4G Host" rev 0x06
> ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel Core 4G PCIE" rev 0x06: msi
> pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
> vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel HD Graphics 4600" rev 0x06
> wsdisplay1 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> "Intel Core 4G HD Audio" rev 0x06 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 not configured
> xhci0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "Intel 8 Series xHCI" rev 0x05: msi
> usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
> uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel xHCI root hub" rev 3.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel 8 Series MEI" rev 0x04 at pci0 dev 22 function 0 not configured
> ehci0 at pci0 dev 26 function 0 "Intel 8 Series USB" rev 0x05: apic 2 int 16
> usb1 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
> uhub1 at usb1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel 8 Series HD Audio" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 27 function 0 not configured
> ppb1 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5
> pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
> ppb2 at pci0 dev 28 function 2 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5: msi
> pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
> iwm0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260" rev 0xbb, msi
> ppb3 at pci0 dev 28 function 3 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5: msi
> pci4 at ppb3 bus 4
> rtsx0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek RTL8411 Card Reader" rev 0x01: msi
> sdmmc0 at rtsx0: 4-bit, dma
> re0 at pci4 dev 0 function 2 "Realtek 8168" rev 0x0a: RTL8411 (0x4880), msi, address 80:fa:5b:14:87:b4
> rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 PHY, rev. 5
> ehci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 8 Series USB" rev 0x05: apic 2 int 23
> usb2 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
> uhub2 at usb2 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel HM86 LPC" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 not configured
> ahci0 at pci0 dev 31 function 2 "Intel 8 Series AHCI" rev 0x05: msi, AHCI 1.3
> ahci0: port 0: 1.5Gb/s
> ahci0: port 5: 6.0Gb/s
> scsibus0 at ahci0: 32 targets
> cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <Optiarc, DVD RW AD-7740H, 1.00> ATAPI 5/cdrom removable
> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <ATA, Samsung SSD 850, EXM0> SCSI3 0/direct fixed naa.500253887007d4c5
> sd0: 976762MB, 512 bytes/sector, 2000409264 sectors, thin
> "Intel 8 Series SMBus" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 not configured
> isa0 at mainbus0
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5 irq 1 irq 12
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay1
> uhub3 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x05e3 USB2.0 Hub" rev 2.00/9.01 addr 2
> uhidev0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech Trackball" rev 1.10/2.20 addr 3
> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
> uhid at uhidev0 not configured
> umass0 at uhub3 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "SMI Technology Intenso Micro Line" rev 2.00/10.00 addr 4
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
> sd1 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <Intenso, Micro Line, > SCSI2 0/direct removable serial.090c1000090600003175
> sd1: 7450MB, 512 bytes/sector, 15257600 sectors
> uhidev1 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev1: iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev1
> wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
> wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay1
> uhidev2 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 1 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev2: iclass 3/1, 8 report ids
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 2 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 3 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 4 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 8 not configured
> uhidev3 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 2 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev3: iclass 3/0, 33 report ids
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 16 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 17 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 32 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 33 not configured
> "vendor 0x8087 product 0x07dc" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 6 at uhub0 port 7 not configured
> uhub4 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x8087 product 0x8008" rev 2.00/0.05 addr 2
> uhub5 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x8087 product 0x8000" rev 2.00/0.05 addr 2
> softraid0 at root
> scsibus2 at softraid0: 256 targets
> root on rd0a swap on rd0b dump on rd0b
> iwm0: could not read firmware iwm-7260-16 (error 2)
> iwm0: failed to load init firmware
> OpenBSD 6.3-beta (RAMDISK_CD) #38: Thu Mar  8 10:01:01 MST 2018
>      [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/RAMDISK_CD
> real mem = 17079074816 (16287MB)
> avail mem = 16557678592 (15790MB)
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.7 @ 0xeb500 (35 entries)
> bios0: vendor American Megatrends Inc. version "1.03.06" date 06/25/2014
> bios0: Notebook W65_67SZ
> acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
> acpi0: tables DSDT FACP APIC FPDT ASF! SSDT SSDT SSDT MCFG HPET SSDT SSDT SSDT DMAR
> acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
> cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
> cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.60GHz, 3093.26 MHz
> cpu0: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,ABM,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,SENSOR,ARAT,MELTDOWN
> cpu0: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
> cpu0: apic clock running at 99MHz
> cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=0.2.1.2.4, IBE
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 2 pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 24 pins
> acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
> acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus 2 (RP01)
> acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 3 (RP03)
> acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus 4 (RP04)
> acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus 1 (P0P2)
> acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus -1 (P0PA)
> acpiprt6 at acpi0: bus -1 (P0PB)
> acpiprt7 at acpi0: bus 1 (PEG0)
> acpiec0 at acpi0
> acpicpu at acpi0 not configured
> acpitz at acpi0 not configured
> "INT3F0D" at acpi0 not configured
> "MSFT0001" at acpi0 not configured
> "ETD0403" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNPC000" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0C" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0E" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0D" at acpi0 not configured
> "ACPI0003" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C0A" at acpi0 not configured
> "PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
> "INT340E" at acpi0 not configured
> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Core 4G Host" rev 0x06
> ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel Core 4G PCIE" rev 0x06: msi
> pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
> vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel HD Graphics 4600" rev 0x06
> wsdisplay1 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> "Intel Core 4G HD Audio" rev 0x06 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 not configured
> xhci0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "Intel 8 Series xHCI" rev 0x05: msi
> usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
> uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel xHCI root hub" rev 3.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel 8 Series MEI" rev 0x04 at pci0 dev 22 function 0 not configured
> ehci0 at pci0 dev 26 function 0 "Intel 8 Series USB" rev 0x05: apic 2 int 16
> usb1 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
> uhub1 at usb1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel 8 Series HD Audio" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 27 function 0 not configured
> ppb1 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5
> pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
> ppb2 at pci0 dev 28 function 2 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5: msi
> pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
> iwm0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260" rev 0xbb, msi
> ppb3 at pci0 dev 28 function 3 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd5: msi
> pci4 at ppb3 bus 4
> rtsx0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek RTL8411 Card Reader" rev 0x01: msi
> sdmmc0 at rtsx0: 4-bit, dma
> re0 at pci4 dev 0 function 2 "Realtek 8168" rev 0x0a: RTL8411 (0x4880), msi, address 80:fa:5b:14:87:b4
> rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 PHY, rev. 5
> ehci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 8 Series USB" rev 0x05: apic 2 int 23
> usb2 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
> uhub2 at usb2 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
> "Intel HM86 LPC" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 not configured
> ahci0 at pci0 dev 31 function 2 "Intel 8 Series AHCI" rev 0x05: msi, AHCI 1.3
> ahci0: port 0: 1.5Gb/s
> ahci0: port 5: 6.0Gb/s
> scsibus0 at ahci0: 32 targets
> cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <Optiarc, DVD RW AD-7740H, 1.00> ATAPI 5/cdrom removable
> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <ATA, Samsung SSD 850, EXM0> SCSI3 0/direct fixed naa.500253887007d4c5
> sd0: 976762MB, 512 bytes/sector, 2000409264 sectors, thin
> "Intel 8 Series SMBus" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 not configured
> isa0 at mainbus0
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5 irq 1 irq 12
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay1
> uhub3 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x05e3 USB2.0 Hub" rev 2.00/9.01 addr 2
> uhidev0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech Trackball" rev 1.10/2.20 addr 3
> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
> uhid at uhidev0 not configured
> umass0 at uhub3 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "SMI Technology Intenso Micro Line" rev 2.00/10.00 addr 4
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
> sd1 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <Intenso, Micro Line, > SCSI2 0/direct removable serial.090c1000090600003175
> sd1: 7450MB, 512 bytes/sector, 15257600 sectors
> uhidev1 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev1: iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev1
> wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
> wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay1
> uhidev2 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 1 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev2: iclass 3/1, 8 report ids
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 2 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 3 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 4 not configured
> uhid at uhidev2 reportid 8 not configured
> uhidev3 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 2 "Logitech USB Receiver" rev 2.00/12.01 addr 5
> uhidev3: iclass 3/0, 33 report ids
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 16 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 17 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 32 not configured
> uhid at uhidev3 reportid 33 not configured
> "vendor 0x8087 product 0x07dc" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 6 at uhub0 port 7 not configured
> uhub4 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x8087 product 0x8008" rev 2.00/0.05 addr 2
> uhub5 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "vendor 0x8087 product 0x8000" rev 2.00/0.05 addr 2
> softraid0 at root
> scsibus2 at softraid0: 256 targets
> root on rd0a swap on rd0b dump on rd0b
> iwm0: could not read firmware iwm-7260-16 (error 2)
> iwm0: failed to load init firmware
> umass1 at uhub0 port 6 configuration 1 interface 0 "Generic Mass Storage" rev 2.00/1.05 addr 7
> umass1: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus3 at umass1: 2 targets, initiator 0
> sd2 at scsibus3 targ 1 lun 0: <Generic, Flash Disk, 8.07> SCSI2 0/direct removable
> sd2: 7640MB, 512 bytes/sector, 15646720 sectors
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument

Stefan Wollny-2
Hi Alexander,

thank you for taking your time to look at my problem! Really appreciate it!

Am 11.03.2018 um 22:04 schrieb Alexander Hall:
> 3. Did you by any chance detach the filesystem at any time? IIRC
>    that would make it not auto-assemble after reboot, which might
>    explain some of the observed behaviours.
Mmmh - this is s.th. I cannot rule out for shure. Last time the system
was work flawless I had an encrypted external HD attached to make my
daily backup. Maybe I did a 'bioctl -d' on the sdx the sd0 was attached
to after disencryption (no - sd0 isn't always attached to sd2! This can
be anything from 2 to 7, usually) instead of the sd-number the external
HD was attached to...

If so - is there any chance to recover?

> 4. Did you by any chance run installboot on sd0 or sd1? That'd be wrong.
I tried but without success. Obviously.


Thanks again and
have a nice week!

Best,
STEFAN



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument

Stefan Wollny-2
In reply to this post by Alexander Hall
Am 11.03.2018 um 22:04 schrieb Alexander Hall:
> 2. Your key disk or sd0 disk raid metadata could be corrupt.
Forgot this one:

I have three different key disks - none of them gets the system a go.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument

Stefan Wollny
In reply to this post by Stefan Wollny-2
Gesendet: Sonntag, 11. März 2018 um 22:41 Uhr

> Von: "Stefan Wollny" <[hidden email]>
> An: misc <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: Fwd: Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument
> Hi Alexander,
>
> thank you for taking your time to look at my problem! Really appreciate it!
>
>> Am 11.03.2018 um 22:04 schrieb Alexander Hall:
>> 3. Did you by any chance detach the filesystem at any time? IIRC
>>    that would make it not auto-assemble after reboot, which might
>>    explain some of the observed behaviours.
> Mmmh - this is s.th. I cannot rule out for shure. Last time the system
> was work flawless I had an encrypted external HD attached to make my
> daily backup. Maybe I did a 'bioctl -d' on the sdx the sd0 was attached
> to after disencryption (no - sd0 isn't always attached to sd2! This can
> be anything from 2 to 7, usually) instead of the sd-number the external
> HD was attached to...
>
> If so - is there any chance to recover?
 
For the records:

As I was able to boot into bsd.rd on the shell I did:

'bioctl -c C -k /dev/sd1a -l /dev/sd0a softraid0'

After a reboot I could start via

'boot sr0a:/bsd'

into normal operations. Guess I have to do
'installboot sd2'
now as this is what the RAID-volume was attached to.

Thanks to all of you who took some time and provided help!

Best,
STEFAN

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument

Kevin Chadwick-4
On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 12:25:40 +0100


> into normal operations. Guess I have to do
> 'installboot sd2'

I know it is more to type but you can use uids to make sure it is the
right disk too.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument

Stefan Wollny-2
Am 03/12/18 um 15:02 schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 12:25:40 +0100
>
>
>> into normal operations. Guess I have to do
>> 'installboot sd2'
>
> I know it is more to type but you can use uids to make sure it is the
> right disk too.
>
You are right - that would have been the better way.

I checked beforehand via disklabel if sd0 and sd1 are the actual RAID
volumes and sd2 is the decrypted volume. Everything now is fine again:
With the key disk inserted OpenBSD starts as usual.

Thank you devs for your fine work - the problem sat in front of the
screen ;-)  Lesson learnt.