Re: ARM Firewall Hardware

Diana Eichert
Do the 1Gb interfaces support real 1Gb/sec?  I know there
was some arm h/w with 1Gb interfaces that would not run
at 1Gb speed.

diana

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015, Patrick Wildt wrote:

> Until recently there has not been ARM hardware that actually has more
> than two Gigabit Ethernet ports.  As of now there are two options:
>
> There’s the Banana Pi R1, which basically is a bigger Banana Pi with
> 5 Gigabit Ports connected to a Broadcom BCM53125 Switch.
>
> The BPI-R1, also called Lamobo R1 is based on an Allwinner A20.
> There currently seems to be only minimal support for the SoC in
> OpenBSD.
>
> FreeScale has recently been working on ARM-based network chips.
> They already had QorIQ network chips based on PowerPC and now
> basically replaced the PPC core with an ARM one, keeping the „old“
> peripherals.
>
> They are be working on LS1 and LS2 SoCs of varying performance.
> One of them is a dual-core Cortex A7, another one a Cortex A9,
> a rather slow ARM11 and even a few ARM 64-bit cores.
>
> As far as I know they already supply development boards[0] and
> reference design[1] hardware for the LS1021A, the dual core Cortex A7.
>
> That hardware is really interesting, but rather expensive and not
> supported by OpenBSD.
>
> \Patrick
>
> [0]
> http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=TWR-LS1021A
> [1]
> http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_ref_guide/LS1021A-IOTGS.pdf
>
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 10:41:14PM -0500, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>> I started entertain the idea of getting ARM based hardware for my new
>> home firewall.
>>
>> Are there ARM based consumer motherboards with Gigabit lan controller
>> which can be used for home firewall hobby project? How close is armv7 or
>> any other OpenBSD version of being fully functional on such hardware?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Predrag

Re: ARM Firewall Hardware

Patrick Wildt-2
You mean the i.MX6 SoC? Yeah, that one is limited to 540 MBit/s by design.

In comparison to the i.MX series the LayerScape models are supposed to be network processors. So, even though they have a tendency to fuck things up, I don't think they also do that on something that already worked with PPC for some time.

I have not yet run performance tests on the TWR-LS1021A.

\Patrick