Re: 4.7 and AR5007

Ersin Akinci
Hi all,

Just to resurrect an old thread, I just installed OpenBSD on my laptop
and I'm having the same problem with my Atheros AR9285 card.
"ifconfig athn0 scan" freezes my computer almost immediately (perhaps
a one second pause or so?)

Damien, I recompiled and installed the kernel with the debug setting
set to 10, as you suggested, but when I run ifconfig, it doesn't print
any text.

Any suggestions?  I'm pondering buying a new wifi card.  I really
enjoy OpenBSD and I'd hate to have to stop using it on account of
wifi.

On tangential note, does anyone know of a wicd-like solution for
managing wifi networks in OpenBSD?  Could just be a set of shell
scripts, as well.

-Ersin

--
Ersin Y. Akinci -- ersinakinci.com

What Digital Revolution? -- www.whatdigitalrevolution.com
Thinking critically about digital worlds.

Re: 4.7 and AR5007

Ersin Akinci
Sorry to send another follow-up e-mail.  Someone asked me if I had
tried running 4.8, and I just wanted to mention that the problem is
with the driver shipped in 4.8 (yes, I'm running 4.8).  I wanted to
keep it in the same thread, though, which is why I replied to 4.7.

-Ersin

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Ersin Akinci <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just to resurrect an old thread, I just installed OpenBSD on my laptop
> and I'm having the same problem with my Atheros AR9285 card.
> "ifconfig athn0 scan" freezes my computer almost immediately (perhaps
> a one second pause or so?)
>
> Damien, I recompiled and installed the kernel with the debug setting
> set to 10, as you suggested, but when I run ifconfig, it doesn't print
> any text.
>
> Any suggestions?  I'm pondering buying a new wifi card.  I really
> enjoy OpenBSD and I'd hate to have to stop using it on account of
> wifi.
>
> On tangential note, does anyone know of a wicd-like solution for
> managing wifi networks in OpenBSD?  Could just be a set of shell
> scripts, as well.
>
> -Ersin
>
> --
> Ersin Y. Akinci -- ersinakinci.com
>
> What Digital Revolution? -- www.whatdigitalrevolution.com
> Thinking critically about digital worlds.

--
Ersin Y. Akinci -- ersinakinci.com

What Digital Revolution? -- www.whatdigitalrevolution.com
Thinking critically about digital worlds.

Re: 4.7 and AR5007

Neal Hogan
On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Ersin Akinci <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just to resurrect an old thread, I just installed OpenBSD on my laptop
> and I'm having the same problem with my Atheros AR9285 card.
> "ifconfig athn0 scan" freezes my computer almost immediately (perhaps
> a one second pause or so?)
>
> Damien, I recompiled and installed the kernel with the debug setting
> set to 10, as you suggested, but when I run ifconfig, it doesn't print
> any text.
>
> Any suggestions?  I'm pondering buying a new wifi card.  I really
> enjoy OpenBSD and I'd hate to have to stop using it on account of
> wifi.

You are probebly aware this, but if not, then you should know  that
there are pleanty of supported external wifi devices that are not as
expensive as not using oBSD. Check out
http://www.openbsd.org/plat.html