Raspberry Pi 4B SD Card

Archimedes Gaviola
Hi,

Is there a way to use an SD card as the main storage during installation
instead of an external USB? I mean the same approach just like the way
Raspberry Pi 3B is installed because I want to physically secure my data
inside my Raspberry Pi enclosure.

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B SD Card

Stuart Henderson
Now that the SD card is reachable from OpenBSD (at least in certain boot
modes, iirc it needed device tree?) it should be possible to get it to work
by creating a FAT partition and copying the uefi "firmware" files, it's a
bit more complicated setup though.
--
  Sent from a phone, apologies for poor formatting.
On 12 October 2020 19:42:05 Archimedes Gaviola
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to use an SD card as the main storage during installation
> instead of an external USB? I mean the same approach just like the way
> Raspberry Pi 3B is installed because I want to physically secure my data
> inside my Raspberry Pi enclosure.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Archimedes

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B SD Card

Archimedes Gaviola
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your response! Good to know that it's possible to have the SD
card as storage. I attempted to replace the default contents of the FAT
partition from the installer image (.img or .fs) with UEFI components
however I failed to proceed because there's a need to adjust the default
installer FAT partition space as it's not enough. I might proceed with a
customized partition and see how it goes.

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 3:50 AM Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Now that the SD card is reachable from OpenBSD (at least in certain boot
> modes, iirc it needed device tree?) it should be possible to get it to work
> by creating a FAT partition and copying the uefi "firmware" files, it's a
> bit more complicated setup though.
> --
>   Sent from a phone, apologies for poor formatting.
>
> On 12 October 2020 19:42:05 Archimedes Gaviola <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to use an SD card as the main storage during installation
>> instead of an external USB? I mean the same approach just like the way
>> Raspberry Pi 3B is installed because I want to physically secure my data
>> inside my Raspberry Pi enclosure.
>>
>> Thanks and best regards,
>> Archimedes

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B SD Card

Colin Tree
When I boot my nanopc-t4 from a miniroot uSD,

uboot loads /bsd which then doesn't see the uSD, only the EMMC as sd0.

dwge0 now fails so have to install from disk.

I have to put my distribution sets on a usb stick which gets recognised
as sd1.

On 2020/10/14 18:22, Colin Tree wrote:

> When I boot my nanopc-t4 from a miniroot uSD,
>
> uboot loads /bsd which then doesn't see the uSD, only the EMMC as sd0.
>
> dwge0 now fails so have to install from disk.
>
> I have to put my distribution sets on a usb stick which gets recognised as
> sd1.
>

> On 2020-10-13 05:50, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > Now that the SD card is reachable from OpenBSD (at least in certain boot
> > modes, iirc it needed device tree?) it should be possible to get it to
> > work by creating a FAT partition and copying the uefi "firmware" files,
> > it's a bit more complicated setup though.

nanopc-t4 is not Raspberry Pi 4B.