Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola
Hi,

Good day!

I installed OpenBSD 6.7 release and current (dated August 1, 2020) to my
Raspberry Pi 3B. Installations are successful respectively but USB input
devices such as keyboard, mouse, barcode scanner are not working. They are
detected but not working. My USB output device which is an Xprinter printer
is working fine. I tried adding the following DTB to config.txt as to no
avail.

dtoverlay=dwc-otg
dtoverlay=dwc2

I've tried an Ubuntu Linux image and these USB devices works. Any idea of
the problem?

Attached is my RPI 3B dmesg output.

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes

openbsd-6.7-current_rpi3b_dmesg.txt (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola
Hi,

Just to add as well that the USB LAN Ethernet is working great aside from
the USB input devices that I've encountered. I just know from the man page
http://man.openbsd.org/smsc.4.

[dmesg snip]
smsc0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Standard Microsystems
SMSC9512/14" rev 2.00/2.00 addr 3
smsc0: address b8:27:eb:64:8b:57
ukphy0 at smsc0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface, rev. 3: OUI
0x0001f0, model 0x000c

Since OpenBSD system has dwctwo(4) driver http://man.openbsd.org/dwctwo.4 is
there a need to declare the dtoverlay lines in the config.txt?

dtoverlay=dwc-otg
dtoverlay=dwc2

[dmesg snip]
usb0 at dwctwo0: USB revision 2.0
uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Broadcom DWC2 root hub" rev
2.00/1.00 addr 1

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 10:23 AM Archimedes Gaviola <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Good day!
>
> I installed OpenBSD 6.7 release and current (dated August 1, 2020) to my
> Raspberry Pi 3B. Installations are successful respectively but USB input
> devices such as keyboard, mouse, barcode scanner are not working. They are
> detected but not working. My USB output device which is an Xprinter printer
> is working fine. I tried adding the following DTB to config.txt as to no
> avail.
>
> dtoverlay=dwc-otg
> dtoverlay=dwc2
>
> I've tried an Ubuntu Linux image and these USB devices works. Any idea of
> the problem?
>
> Attached is my RPI 3B dmesg output.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Archimedes

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Mark Kettenis
> From: Archimedes Gaviola <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 17:53:51 +0800

> Just to add as well that the USB LAN Ethernet is working great aside from
> the USB input devices that I've encountered. I just know from the man page
> http://man.openbsd.org/smsc.4.
>
> [dmesg snip]
> smsc0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Standard Microsystems
> SMSC9512/14" rev 2.00/2.00 addr 3
> smsc0: address b8:27:eb:64:8b:57
> ukphy0 at smsc0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface, rev. 3: OUI
> 0x0001f0, model 0x000c
>
> Since OpenBSD system has dwctwo(4) driver http://man.openbsd.org/dwctwo.4 is
> there a need to declare the dtoverlay lines in the config.txt?
>
> dtoverlay=dwc-otg
> dtoverlay=dwc2

No.  In fact those lines might hurt.

As for your problem; in some cases inserting a (powered) USB 2.0 Hub
in the chain may help.

> [dmesg snip]
> usb0 at dwctwo0: USB revision 2.0
> uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Broadcom DWC2 root hub" rev
> 2.00/1.00 addr 1
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Archimedes
>

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 10:23 AM Archimedes Gaviola <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Good day!
> >
> > I installed OpenBSD 6.7 release and current (dated August 1, 2020) to my
> > Raspberry Pi 3B. Installations are successful respectively but USB input
> > devices such as keyboard, mouse, barcode scanner are not working. They are
> > detected but not working. My USB output device which is an Xprinter printer
> > is working fine. I tried adding the following DTB to config.txt as to no
> > avail.
> >
> > dtoverlay=dwc-otg
> > dtoverlay=dwc2
> >
> > I've tried an Ubuntu Linux image and these USB devices works. Any idea of
> > the problem?
> >
> > Attached is my RPI 3B dmesg output.
> >
> > Thanks and best regards,
> > Archimedes

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola
On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 6:30 PM Mark Kettenis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > From: Archimedes Gaviola <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 17:53:51 +0800
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just to add as well that the USB LAN Ethernet is working great aside from
> > the USB input devices that I've encountered. I just know from the man
> page
> > http://man.openbsd.org/smsc.4.
> >
> > [dmesg snip]
> > smsc0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Standard Microsystems
> > SMSC9512/14" rev 2.00/2.00 addr 3
> > smsc0: address b8:27:eb:64:8b:57
> > ukphy0 at smsc0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface, rev. 3: OUI
> > 0x0001f0, model 0x000c
> >
> > Since OpenBSD system has dwctwo(4) driver
> http://man.openbsd.org/dwctwo.4 is
> > there a need to declare the dtoverlay lines in the config.txt?
> >
> > dtoverlay=dwc-otg
> > dtoverlay=dwc2
>
> No.  In fact those lines might hurt.
>
> As for your problem; in some cases inserting a (powered) USB 2.0 Hub
> in the chain may help.

Thanks Mark for your response! Noted in your advice. I plan to have a
powered USB 2.0 Hub in the chain but when I took a try with Ubuntu Linux
image for Raspberry Pi 3 all the 4 USB ports functions as to no need for an
external chain of USB 2.0 Hub device. That's why I began to ask and become
curious if I have configured my OpenBSD system correctly or I missed
something? I can print by attaching my printer to one of the USB ports, the
second to my USB keyboard, the third port to my USB mouse and the fourth
port to my barcode scanner. All works without any problem. I'm using the
Raspberry Pi 3B power adapter with 5V with 2.5 Ampere capacity
https://shopee.ph/product/18252381/190149839.

On 2020/08/03 10:23, Archimedes Gaviola wrote:
> I installed OpenBSD 6.7 release and current (dated August 1, 2020) to my
> Raspberry Pi 3B. Installations are successful respectively but USB input
> devices such as keyboard, mouse, barcode scanner are not working. They are
> detected but not working.

This is on serial console isn't it? You wouldn't expect input from USB
HIDs to show up there. I think it will need to be switched to HDMI
console to be able to see anything from those input devices. I don't
know if that works on 3b or not (it does on 4). If it does then 'set tty
fb0' at the boot loader would probably do the trick.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 8:47 PM Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2020/08/03 10:23, Archimedes Gaviola wrote:
> > I installed OpenBSD 6.7 release and current (dated August 1, 2020) to my
> > Raspberry Pi 3B. Installations are successful respectively but USB input
> > devices such as keyboard, mouse, barcode scanner are not working. They
> are
> > detected but not working.
>
> This is on serial console isn't it? You wouldn't expect input from USB
> HIDs to show up there. I think it will need to be switched to HDMI
> console to be able to see anything from those input devices. I don't
> know if that works on 3b or not (it does on 4). If it does then 'set tty
> fb0' at the boot loader would probably do the trick.

Yes access is either via serial console using cu command or via remote SSH
access through LAN or WiFi. When these USB input devices are plugged-in
then you can see it in the console via dmesg that they are detected. I can
run the X Window with startx command or with xenodm desktop manager. The
login page of xenodm and the xterm window of X I suppose to use my keyboard
by typing my credential or move the cursor with my USB mouse. These were
the things I cannot do as the keyboard and mouse seems to freeze-up.

HDMI works with the X Window and the xenodm but not on boot messages where
I suppose to raise this issue on another thread. I already have the 'set
tty fb0' in the /etc/boot.conf to no avail. Not sure if there are still
missing parameters that I should add in the configurations or enable any
DTBs in the config.txt.

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola
On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 7:05 PM Archimedes Gaviola <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 6:30 PM Mark Kettenis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> > From: Archimedes Gaviola <[hidden email]>
>> > Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 17:53:51 +0800
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Just to add as well that the USB LAN Ethernet is working great aside
>> from
>> > the USB input devices that I've encountered. I just know from the man
>> page
>> > http://man.openbsd.org/smsc.4.
>> >
>> > [dmesg snip]
>> > smsc0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Standard Microsystems
>> > SMSC9512/14" rev 2.00/2.00 addr 3
>> > smsc0: address b8:27:eb:64:8b:57
>> > ukphy0 at smsc0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface, rev. 3: OUI
>> > 0x0001f0, model 0x000c
>> >
>> > Since OpenBSD system has dwctwo(4) driver
>> http://man.openbsd.org/dwctwo.4 is
>> > there a need to declare the dtoverlay lines in the config.txt?
>> >
>> > dtoverlay=dwc-otg
>> > dtoverlay=dwc2
>>
>> No.  In fact those lines might hurt.
>>
>> As for your problem; in some cases inserting a (powered) USB 2.0 Hub
>> in the chain may help.
>>

> Thanks Mark for your response! Noted in your advice. I plan to have a
> powered USB 2.0 Hub in the chain but when I took a try with Ubuntu Linux
> image for Raspberry Pi 3 all the 4 USB ports functions as to no need for an
> external chain of USB 2.0 Hub device. That's why I began to ask and become
> curious if I have configured my OpenBSD system correctly or I missed
> something? I can print by attaching my printer to one of the USB ports, the
> second to my USB keyboard, the third port to my USB mouse and the fourth
> port to my barcode scanner. All works without any problem. I'm using the
> Raspberry Pi 3B power adapter with 5V with 2.5 Ampere capacity
> https://shopee.ph/product/18252381/190149839.

Just want to share some progress with the USB keyboard, I am able to type
and able to transfer from one tty console to another now. I am using an
A4Tech KL-5 mini keyboard here
https://shopee.ph/product/20959443/1803617471 and
it works. However in the X Window still I cannot type anything perhaps I
need to re-configure? This A4Tech KRS-85 USB keyboard
https://shopee.ph/A4Tech-KRS-85-USB-Wired-Keyboard-(Black)-i.25952313.316311989
on
the other hand doesn't work, this was my first keyboard. The only
difference from these two is the current rating KL-5 has 20mA while the
KRS-85 has 30mA.

Meanwhile, I am also able to bootstrap an image of NetBSD 9.0 here
http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.0/evbarm-aarch64/binary/gzimg/ and
it's behaving well with my 2 USB keyboards plus my printer on the other
port, barcode scanner and mouse. All works just like Ubuntu Linux.

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes

>> > [dmesg snip]
>> > usb0 at dwctwo0: USB revision 2.0
>> > uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Broadcom DWC2 root hub" rev
>> > 2.00/1.00 addr 1
>> >
>> > Thanks and best regards,
>> > Archimedes

>> my
>> input
>> They are
>> printer
>> no

>> idea of

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola
On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 2:18 AM Archimedes Gaviola <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 7:05 PM Archimedes Gaviola <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> from
>>> page

>>> Microsystems

>>> http://man.openbsd.org/dwctwo.4 is

>>> No.  In fact those lines might hurt.
>>>
>>> As for your problem; in some cases inserting a (powered) USB 2.0 Hub
>>> in the chain may help.
>>>

>> Thanks Mark for your response! Noted in your advice. I plan to have a
>> powered USB 2.0 Hub in the chain but when I took a try with Ubuntu Linux
>> image for Raspberry Pi 3 all the 4 USB ports functions as to no need for an
>> external chain of USB 2.0 Hub device. That's why I began to ask and become
>> curious if I have configured my OpenBSD system correctly or I missed
>> something? I can print by attaching my printer to one of the USB ports, the
>> second to my USB keyboard, the third port to my USB mouse and the fourth
>> port to my barcode scanner. All works without any problem. I'm using the
>> Raspberry Pi 3B power adapter with 5V with 2.5 Ampere capacity
>> https://shopee.ph/product/18252381/190149839.
>>

> Just want to share some progress with the USB keyboard, I am able to type
> and able to transfer from one tty console to another now. I am using an
> A4Tech KL-5 mini keyboard here
> https://shopee.ph/product/20959443/1803617471 and it works. However in
> the X Window still I cannot type anything perhaps I need to re-configure?
> This A4Tech KRS-85 USB keyboard
> https://shopee.ph/A4Tech-KRS-85-USB-Wired-Keyboard-(Black)-i.25952313.316311989 on
> the other hand doesn't work, this was my first keyboard. The only
> difference from these two is the current rating KL-5 has 20mA while the
> KRS-85 has 30mA.
>
> Meanwhile, I am also able to bootstrap an image of NetBSD 9.0 here
> http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.0/evbarm-aarch64/binary/gzimg/ and
> it's behaving well with my 2 USB keyboards plus my printer on the other
> port, barcode scanner and mouse. All works just like Ubuntu Linux.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Archimedes

I'm sorry my KL-5 USB keyboard works as well in the graphical X Window.

>>> to my
>>> input
>>> They are
>>> printer
>>> to no

>>> idea of

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola
On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 3:09 AM Archimedes Gaviola <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 2:18 AM Archimedes Gaviola <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 7:05 PM Archimedes Gaviola <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Thanks Mark for your response! Noted in your advice. I plan to have a
>>> powered USB 2.0 Hub in the chain but when I took a try with Ubuntu Linux
>>> image for Raspberry Pi 3 all the 4 USB ports functions as to no need for an
>>> external chain of USB 2.0 Hub device. That's why I began to ask and become
>>> curious if I have configured my OpenBSD system correctly or I missed
>>> something? I can print by attaching my printer to one of the USB ports, the
>>> second to my USB keyboard, the third port to my USB mouse and the fourth
>>> port to my barcode scanner. All works without any problem. I'm using the
>>> Raspberry Pi 3B power adapter with 5V with 2.5 Ampere capacity
>>> https://shopee.ph/product/18252381/190149839.
>>>

>> Just want to share some progress with the USB keyboard, I am able to type
>> and able to transfer from one tty console to another now. I am using an
>> A4Tech KL-5 mini keyboard here
>> https://shopee.ph/product/20959443/1803617471 and it works. However in
>> the X Window still I cannot type anything perhaps I need to re-configure?
>> This A4Tech KRS-85 USB keyboard
>> https://shopee.ph/A4Tech-KRS-85-USB-Wired-Keyboard-(Black)-i.25952313.316311989 on
>> the other hand doesn't work, this was my first keyboard. The only
>> difference from these two is the current rating KL-5 has 20mA while the
>> KRS-85 has 30mA.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I am also able to bootstrap an image of NetBSD 9.0 here
>> http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.0/evbarm-aarch64/binary/gzimg/ and
>> it's behaving well with my 2 USB keyboards plus my printer on the other
>> port, barcode scanner and mouse. All works just like Ubuntu Linux.
>>
>> Thanks and best regards,
>> Archimedes
>>

> I'm sorry my KL-5 USB keyboard works as well in the graphical X Window.

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to have verbose USB messages in the dmesg? because I want to
check further how my USB input devices will interact in the OpenBSD USB
subsystem from the very start I plug it into the USB port. Most especially
I want to check and verify the power consumption of these USB input devices
when plugged-in into the system if it is sufficient or not. I want to know
why USB input devices with current rating of 20mA works while others beyond
this rating will not. As I read the usb(4) man page here
https://man.openbsd.org/usb.4 a member part of the USB data structure is
the udi_power.

"The udi_power field shows the power consumption in milli-amps drawn at 5
volts or is zero if the device is self powered."

Right now all I can see in the dmesg when a USB input device is plugged-in.

uhidev2 at uhub1 port 5 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 5
uhidev2: iclass 3/1
ukbd1 at uhidev2: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd1 at ukbd1 mux 1
wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0

uhidev1 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 1 "SIGMACHIP USB
Keyboard" rev 1.10/1.10 addr 4
uhidev1: iclass 3/0, 2 report ids
uhid0 at uhidev1 reportid 1: input=2, output=0, feature=0
uhid1 at uhidev1 reportid 2: input=1, output=0, feature=0

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Stuart Henderson
On 2020/08/06 00:40, Archimedes Gaviola wrote:
> Is there a way to have verbose USB messages in the dmesg? because I want to

You can build a kernel with "option USB_DEBUG" in kernel config
(e.g. /sys/arch/arm64/conf/GENERIC.MP).

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 5:36 AM Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2020/08/06 00:40, Archimedes Gaviola wrote:
> > Is there a way to have verbose USB messages in the dmesg? because I want
>
> You can build a kernel with "option USB_DEBUG" in kernel config
> (e.g. /sys/arch/arm64/conf/GENERIC.MP).

Great! Thank you Stuart, I'll try it out.

Archimedes Gaviola

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 5:36 AM Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2020/08/06 00:40, Archimedes Gaviola wrote:
>> > Is there a way to have verbose USB messages in the dmesg? because I
>> want to
>>
>> You can build a kernel with "option USB_DEBUG" in kernel config
>> (e.g. /sys/arch/arm64/conf/GENERIC.MP).
>

> Great! Thank you Stuart, I'll try it out.

Hi Stuart,

I am able to re-compile the kernel with this "option USB_DEBUG" however
it's still the same USB dmesg output. I am looking at some knobs in the
sysctl but do not have any tunables pertaining to USB.

Sharing the behavior of my A4Tech KL-5 mini keyboard (20mA) , the one that
works, I just observe sometimes when switching from the default X Window to
a tty console. It will be disconnected from  wsdisplay0 and detached from
wskbd0,  ukbd0,  uhidev0,  uhid0, uhid1? The same is true with my USB
barcode scanner (though at the moment this device is only detected and
powered-up) when I scan some barcode over an item though it fails to
reflect scanned numeric codes in the tty console but the observation is the
same with the keyboard. Any hint or clue pertaining this behavior? By the
way, the barcode scanner behaves the same with the numeric keypad extension
of a keyboard that when you type series of numbers it will reflect in the
console.

1. A4Tech USB keyboard (dmesg output)

uhidev0 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0
uhidev1 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0 "SIGMACHIP USB
Keyboard" rev 1.10/1.10 addr 5
uhidev1: iclass 3/1
ukbd1 at uhidev1: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd1 at ukbd1 mux 1
wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
uhidev2 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1 "SIGMACHIP USB
Keyboard" rev 1.10/1.10 addr 5
uhidev2: iclass 3/0, 2 report ids
uhid0 at uhidev2 reportid 1: input=2, output=0, feature=0
uhid1 at uhidev2 reportid 2: input=1, output=0, feature=0
wskbd1: disconnecting from wsdisplay0
wskbd1 detached
ukbd1 detached
uhidev1 detached
uhid0 detached
uhid1 detached
uhidev2 detached
uhidev1 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0 "SIGMACHIP USB
Keyboard" rev 1.10/1.10 addr 5
uhidev1: iclass 3/1
ukbd1 at uhidev1: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd1 at ukbd1 mux 1
wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
uhidev2 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1 "SIGMACHIP USB
Keyboard" rev 1.10/1.10 addr 5
uhidev2: iclass 3/0, 2 report ids
uhid0 at uhidev2 reportid 1: input=2, output=0, feature=0
uhid1 at uhidev2 reportid 2: input=1, output=0, feature=0

2. USB barcode scanner (dmesg output)

uhidev0 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0
wskbd0: disconnecting from wsdisplay0
wskbd0 detached
ukbd0 detached
uhidev0 detached
uhidev0 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0

Thanks  and best regards,
Archimedes

> [...]

> Keyboard" rev 1.10/1.10 addr 5
> uhidev2: iclass 3/0, 2 report ids
> uhid0 at uhidev2 reportid 1: input=2, output=0, feature=0
> uhid1 at uhidev2 reportid 2: input=1, output=0, feature=0
>
> 2. USB barcode scanner (dmesg output)
>
> uhidev0 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
> Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
> wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1
> wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0
> wskbd0: disconnecting from wsdisplay0
> wskbd0 detached
> ukbd0 detached
> uhidev0 detached
> uhidev0 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
> Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes

Hi All,

Sharing with you a comparison between a 6.7-i386-release and
6.7-arm64-current with USB barcode scanner behavior.

/* OpenBSD 6.7-i386-release with USB barcode scanner device */

Attaching the USB barcode scanner.

uhidev2 at uhub0 port 6 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 2
uhidev2: iclass 3/1
ukbd1 at uhidev2: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd2 at ukbd1 mux 1
wskbd2: connecting to wsdisplay0

When scanning a barcode, no disconnection and the scanned barcode will
display in the TTY console.
Scanning is successful.

/* OpenBSD 6.7-current amr64 with USB barcode scanner device */

Attaching the USB barcode scanner.

uhidev0 at uhub1 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0

When scanning a barcode, it will be disconnected and no display in the TTY
console.
Scanning is not successful and the device will initiate connection.

wskbd0: disconnecting from wsdisplay0
wskbd0 detached
ukbd0 detached
uhidev0 detached

uhidev0 at uhub1 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0

From here I need to figure-out why wsdiplay triggers disconnection or
perhaps any other reasons for this?

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes

>>> --
>> Archimedes Gaviola

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola
On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 2:23 PM Archimedes Gaviola <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Attaching the USB barcode scanner.
>
> uhidev0 at uhub1 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
> Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
> wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1
> wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0
>
> When scanning a barcode, it will be disconnected and no display in the TTY
> console.
> Scanning is not successful and the device will initiate connection.
>
> wskbd0: disconnecting from wsdisplay0
> wskbd0 detached
> ukbd0 detached
> uhidev0 detached
>
> uhidev0 at uhub1 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
> Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes

Okay here, in the dmesg I found that wsdisplay0 is pointing to simplefb0.
Do I need to make changes in the config.txt or DTB or add DTBO files? How
should I properly enable this simplefb0?

simplefb0 at mainbus0: 640x480, 32bpp
wsdisplay0 at simplefb0 mux 1
wsdisplay0: screen 0-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B USB input devices are not working

Archimedes Gaviola
On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 4:19 PM Archimedes Gaviola <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> wskbd0 detached
>> ukbd0 detached
>> uhidev0 detached
>>
>> uhidev0 at uhub1 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "USB Adapter USB
>> Device" rev 1.10/0.01 addr 4
>> uhidev0: iclass 3/1
>> ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
>> wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1
>> wskbd0: connecting to wsdisplay0
>>
>> From here I need to figure-out why wsdiplay triggers disconnection or
>> perhaps any other reasons for this?
>>
>> Thanks and best regards,
>> Archimedes
>>

> Okay here, in the dmesg I found that wsdisplay0 is pointing to simplefb0.
> Do I need to make changes in the config.txt or DTB or add DTBO files? How
> should I properly enable this simplefb0?
>
> simplefb0 at mainbus0: 640x480, 32bpp
> wsdisplay0 at simplefb0 mux 1
> wsdisplay0: screen 0-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)

Hi,

As I continue digging on this issue I would like to know if there's a way
to disable this uhub1 device Standard Microsystems? Any impact to
other devices as this is a USB Hub device? Just for isolation purposes.

uhub1 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Standard Microsystems
product 0x9514" rev 2.00/2.00 addr 2

I noticed that every time I rebooted this system my USB barcode scanner
would beep for the second time when hitting this particular device as shown
in the dmesg. The beep indicates that the barcode scanner is re-attached
again in the USB port. During reboot beep happens twice. In my Raspberry Pi
4B this behavior doesn't  occur as beep only happens once.

Still the complete dmesg output here
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-arm&m=159642147427137&q=p3.

Thanks and best regards,
Archimedes