Raid0 max volume size

Raymond, David
Does raid0 allow the creation of file systems bigger than the 2 TB limit of ffs?

Dave Raymond

--
David J. Raymond
[hidden email]
http://physics.nmt.edu/~raymond

Re: Raid0 max volume size

Otto Moerbeek
On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 07:01:02AM -0700, Raymond, David wrote:

> Does raid0 allow the creation of file systems bigger than the 2 TB limit of ffs?

Yes. And ffs in general does not have that limit. newfs will move to
ffs2 if needed.

        -Otto

Re: Raid0 max volume size

Josh Grosse-3
On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 07:01:02AM -0700, Raymond, David wrote:
> Does raid0 allow the creation of file systems bigger than the 2 TB limit of ffs?

RAID 0 stripe sizes may be as large as the smallest physical extent.

FFS2 -- see newfs(8) -- supports a filesystem size up to 64 PB.

Re: Raid0 max volume size

Raymond, David
Hmmm....

On install of openbsd a second, non-boot 4 TB disk was initialized by
fdisk in the usual way.  My intention was to create a single partition
and file system for the whole disk.  However, disklabel limits me to a
partition size of 2 TB.  The c partition automatically covers the full
disk, but I didn't think one could actually create a file system on
the c partition.

Is there something I am missing?

Dave

On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 08:24:36AM -0700, Raymond, David wrote:

> Hmmm....
>
> On install of openbsd a second, non-boot 4 TB disk was initialized by
> fdisk in the usual way.  My intention was to create a single partition
> and file system for the whole disk.  However, disklabel limits me to a
> partition size of 2 TB.  The c partition automatically covers the full
> disk, but I didn't think one could actually create a file system on
> the c partition.
>
> Is there something I am missing?

yes, use the b command in disklabel to make the OpenBSD partition
cover the whole disk.

b <Enter>

should do it,

        -Otto

> Dave
>
> On 11/9/19, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 07:01:02AM -0700, Raymond, David wrote:
> >
> >> Does raid0 allow the creation of file systems bigger than the 2 TB limit
> >> of ffs?
> >
> > Yes. And ffs in general does not have that limit. newfs will move to
> > ffs2 if needed.
> >
> > -Otto
> >

> --
> David J. Raymond