Radeon X800

Steven Osborne

I am installing OpenBSD 5.5 64-bit to my Power Mac G5 (7,3) Dual G5
2.7GHz machine and am trying to find information about my graphics
card: Radeon X800 256MB RAM, stats as given by Mac OS X 10.5.8:

ATI Radeon X800 XT:

  Chipset Model: ATY,R420
  Type: Display
  Bus: AGP
  Slot: SLOT-1
  VRAM (Total): 256 MB
  Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID: 0x4a48
  Revision ID: 0x0000
  ROM Revision: 113-A35801-104
  Displays:
ASUS VS247:
  Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
  Depth: 32-Bit Color
  Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror: Off
  Online: Yes
  Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

I searched the old ppc emails at marc.info ("radeon x800" search
string) and the latest mention of the X800 XT was in this thread:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=129432230109695&w=2

Under section:

[1455673.562] (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets:
ATI Radeon X800 SE (R420) (AGP), ATI Radeon X800XT (R420) JP (AGP)

Does this mean that the X800 XT is supported by the Radeon driver?
Has anybody had any luck with installing and configuring this card for
accelerated graphics?  If not, is anybody working on getting support
for this video card?  If not, how would one get involved to help in
getting this card up and running?

A search of the Internet brought up nothing concerning OpenBSD,
FreeBSD, or any BSD in general.

Thank you!

Steve

Re: Radeon X800

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 09:29:02 -0800
> From: Steven Osborne <[hidden email]>
>
> I am installing OpenBSD 5.5 64-bit to my Power Mac G5 (7,3) Dual G5
> 2.7GHz machine and am trying to find information about my graphics
> card: Radeon X800 256MB RAM, stats as given by Mac OS X 10.5.8:
>
> ATI Radeon X800 XT:
>
>   Chipset Model: ATY,R420
>   Type: Display
>   Bus: AGP
>   Slot: SLOT-1
>   VRAM (Total): 256 MB
>   Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
>   Device ID: 0x4a48
>   Revision ID: 0x0000
>   ROM Revision: 113-A35801-104
>   Displays:
> ASUS VS247:
>   Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
>   Depth: 32-Bit Color
>   Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
>   Main Display: Yes
>   Mirror: Off
>   Online: Yes
>   Quartz Extreme: Supported
> Display Connector:
>
> I searched the old ppc emails at marc.info ("radeon x800" search
> string) and the latest mention of the X800 XT was in this thread:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=129432230109695&w=2
>
> Under section:
>
> [1455673.562] (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets:
> ATI Radeon X800 SE (R420) (AGP), ATI Radeon X800XT (R420) JP (AGP)
>
> Does this mean that the X800 XT is supported by the Radeon driver?
> Has anybody had any luck with installing and configuring this card for
> accelerated graphics?  If not, is anybody working on getting support
> for this video card?  If not, how would one get involved to help in
> getting this card up and running?
>
> A search of the Internet brought up nothing concerning OpenBSD,
> FreeBSD, or any BSD in general.

The card should be supported by radeondrm(4).  There might be some
big-endian issues, and the lack of working AGP support on
OpenBSD/macppc will reduce performance a bit.