RS-232 serial to ethernet

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RS-232 serial to ethernet

Lévai, Dániel
Hi misc@!

I was wondering if I could use some budget solution to access my OpenBSD
machine via its serial console over the network, and I stumbled upon
this piece of hardware: [1] [2] [3] (the same device "USR-TCP232-302",
I'm just not sure which one will be up at the time someone looks at
them)

It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
know something similar, I'm really interested!


Thanks,
Dani

[1] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32683105763.html
[2] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-Support/32899179930.html
[3] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32685599659.html

--
LÉVAI Dániel
PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D  650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RS-232 serial to ethernet

Joseph Mayer
Daniel,

Ethernet to serial is normally done using ppp [1].

Why add unneeded hardware.

Do you have RJ45 or RS232 on the OpenBSD machine already?

Joseph

[1] http://man.openbsd.org/ppp

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 12:04 AM, LÉVAI Dániel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi misc@!
>
> I was wondering if I could use some budget solution to access my OpenBSD
> machine via its serial console over the network, and I stumbled upon
> this piece of hardware: [1] [2] [3] (the same device "USR-TCP232-302",
> I'm just not sure which one will be up at the time someone looks at
> them)
>
> It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
> networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
> know something similar, I'm really interested!
>
> Thanks,
> Dani
>
> [1] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32683105763.html
> [2] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-Support/32899179930.html
> [3] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32685599659.html
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> LÉVAI Dániel
> PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
> Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D 650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RS-232 serial to ethernet

Daniel Gracia-2
In reply to this post by Lévai, Dániel
I have a somewhat similar device and works without issues. However, it
has a serious backdraw: it provides no way of securing the comms
channel: any TCP/UDP is open text. Should you need to use such a
device in the wild, take that into account.

Regards!

El lun., 8 abr. 2019 a las 18:07, LÉVAI Dániel (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

>
> Hi misc@!
>
> I was wondering if I could use some budget solution to access my OpenBSD
> machine via its serial console over the network, and I stumbled upon
> this piece of hardware: [1] [2] [3] (the same device "USR-TCP232-302",
> I'm just not sure which one will be up at the time someone looks at
> them)
>
> It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
> networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
> know something similar, I'm really interested!
>
>
> Thanks,
> Dani
>
> [1] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32683105763.html
> [2] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-Support/32899179930.html
> [3] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32685599659.html
>
> --
> LÉVAI Dániel
> PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
> Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D  650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RS-232 serial to ethernet

Tom Smyth
In reply to this post by Joseph Mayer
Hello LÉVAI Dániel,
If I understand you correctly you want a serial server

you could use something like a PCengines apuc2. running OpenBSD
that would work ok, as a serial console box  thjat would liekly set you
back about 150 euro ... which is good value considering what you get

or if security is not a big deal for you mikrotik does have a pretty flexible
suite of options for a serial -->TCPIP (serial server)/ virtual serial ports)
and you can get a solution for sub 100 euro ... for that soemthing
like an rb450G or RB411 would do...

Hope this helps

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 17:16, Joseph Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Daniel,
>
> Ethernet to serial is normally done using ppp [1].
>
> Why add unneeded hardware.
>
> Do you have RJ45 or RS232 on the OpenBSD machine already?
>
> Joseph
>
> [1] http://man.openbsd.org/ppp
>
> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 12:04 AM, LÉVAI Dániel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi misc@!
> >
> > I was wondering if I could use some budget solution to access my OpenBSD
> > machine via its serial console over the network, and I stumbled upon
> > this piece of hardware: [1] [2] [3] (the same device "USR-TCP232-302",
> > I'm just not sure which one will be up at the time someone looks at
> > them)
> >
> > It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
> > networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
> > know something similar, I'm really interested!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dani
> >
> > [1] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32683105763.html
> > [2] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-Support/32899179930.html
> > [3] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32685599659.html
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > LÉVAI Dániel
> > PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
> > Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D 650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F
>
>


--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth

The information contained in this E-mail is intended only for the
confidential use of the named recipient. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering it to the recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this communication in error and that any review,
dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this in error, please notify the sender
immediately by telephone at the number above and erase the message
You are requested to carry out your own virus check before
opening any attachment.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RS-232 serial to ethernet

Aaron Mason
On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 2:34 AM Tom Smyth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello LÉVAI Dániel,
> If I understand you correctly you want a serial server
>
> you could use something like a PCengines apuc2. running OpenBSD
> that would work ok, as a serial console box  thjat would liekly set you
> back about 150 euro ... which is good value considering what you get
>

Heck, even the outmoded ALIX1 will do this job.  And it has more than
one port, plus PCI expansion to add more serial ports.  Some vendors
sell cases with a PCI slot, but it's mini ITX so you could even put it
in a standard PC case if you have one laying around. US$59.50 +
shipping for a board and I/O bracket (unless you're in the EU and
can't order directly) and you're laughing.  SSH for a serial server,
plus there's still plenty of capacity in its 500MHz Geode for other
things - I use mine for booting remote installers and DBAN, and it
barely breaks a sweat.

> or if security is not a big deal for you mikrotik does have a pretty flexible
> suite of options for a serial -->TCPIP (serial server)/ virtual serial ports)
> and you can get a solution for sub 100 euro ... for that soemthing
> like an rb450G or RB411 would do...
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 17:16, Joseph Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Daniel,
> >
> > Ethernet to serial is normally done using ppp [1].
> >
> > Why add unneeded hardware.
> >
> > Do you have RJ45 or RS232 on the OpenBSD machine already?
> >
> > Joseph
> >
> > [1] http://man.openbsd.org/ppp
> >
> > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> > On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 12:04 AM, LÉVAI Dániel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi misc@!
> > >
> > > I was wondering if I could use some budget solution to access my OpenBSD
> > > machine via its serial console over the network, and I stumbled upon
> > > this piece of hardware: [1] [2] [3] (the same device "USR-TCP232-302",
> > > I'm just not sure which one will be up at the time someone looks at
> > > them)
> > >
> > > It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
> > > networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
> > > know something similar, I'm really interested!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dani
> > >
> > > [1] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32683105763.html
> > > [2] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-Support/32899179930.html
> > > [3] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32685599659.html
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > LÉVAI Dániel
> > > PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
> > > Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D 650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Kindest regards,
> Tom Smyth
>
> The information contained in this E-mail is intended only for the
> confidential use of the named recipient. If the reader of this message
> is not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
> delivering it to the recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
> received this communication in error and that any review,
> dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by telephone at the number above and erase the message
> You are requested to carry out your own virus check before
> opening any attachment.
>


--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RS-232 serial to ethernet

Jon Tabor
In reply to this post by Lévai, Dániel
I have one of these, but I really only use it to connect the old VIC-20 to BBS systems. It works alright, but it's a bit funky in it's implementation.  As others have said, it's completely plaintext; everything is sent in the clear.   You'd be telnetting (not ssh) into it. How much do you trust your network?

Aside from that, it should work, though I'm not sure how robust it'd be under long-term usage.

You can find versions without the case on eBay for about $10USD, and at that price it's basically disposable. Pick one up and try it out.

Jon
[hidden email]

On Apr 8, 2019, at 09:07, "LÉVAI Dániel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi misc@!

I was wondering if I could use some budget solution to access my OpenBSD
machine via its serial console over the network, and I stumbled upon
this piece of hardware: [1] [2] [3] (the same device "USR-TCP232-302",
I'm just not sure which one will be up at the time someone looks at
them)

It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
know something similar, I'm really interested!


Thanks,
Dani

[1] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32683105763.html
[2] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-Support/32899179930.html
[3] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32685599659.html

On Apr 8, 2019, 09:07, at 09:07, "LÉVAI Dániel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi misc@!
>
>I was wondering if I could use some budget solution to access my
>OpenBSD
>machine via its serial console over the network, and I stumbled upon
>this piece of hardware: [1] [2] [3] (the same device "USR-TCP232-302",
>I'm just not sure which one will be up at the time someone looks at
>them)
>
>It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
>networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
>know something similar, I'm really interested!
>
>
>Thanks,
>Dani
>
>[1] -
>https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32683105763.html
>[2] -
>https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-Support/32899179930.html
>[3] -
>https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32685599659.html
>
>--
>LÉVAI Dániel
>PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
>Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D  650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RS-232 serial to ethernet

Darren Tucker-3
In reply to this post by Lévai, Dániel
On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 02:14, LÉVAI Dániel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
> networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
> know something similar, I'm really interested!
>

I use a gl.inet GL-AR150 (US$24 on dx.com) running openwrt with a USB RS232
adapter.  Pro: it supports ssh (including key auth), can use wifi to avoid
cabling, can add a USB hub you can support multiple serial ports (I don't)
and it's small and low powered enough to velcro to the back of the machine
and power from its USB port.  Con: a bit more involved setup (I use it with
conserver).  Happy to share setup details if you want to go this route (off
list since it's veering off-topic).

If you wanted to stick with a similar but pure OpenBSD solution you could
look at something like an Orange Pi Lite (US$20) but you'd have to add
parts (microsd card, case)  so it'd probably cost more (and the onboard
wifi isn't supported so if you wanted wifi you'd have to add a USB one).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)
    Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience
usually comes from bad judgement.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RS-232 serial to ethernet

Lévai, Dániel
In reply to this post by Lévai, Dániel
Thank you everyone so much for the information! There are now some
interesting alternatives for me to look at!

Cheers,
Dani

LÉVAI Dániel @ 2019-04-08T18:04:37 +0200:

> Hi misc@!
>
> I was wondering if I could use some budget solution to access my OpenBSD
> machine via its serial console over the network, and I stumbled upon
> this piece of hardware: [1] [2] [3] (the same device "USR-TCP232-302",
> I'm just not sure which one will be up at the time someone looks at
> them)
>
> It basically should be able convert the serial port to TCP/IP
> networking. Is this something anyone else has used before -- or if you
> know something similar, I'm really interested!
>
>
> Thanks,
> Dani
>
> [1] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32683105763.html
> [2] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter-Support/32899179930.html
> [3] - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q18041-USR-TCP232-302-Tiny-Size-Serial-RS232-to-Ethernet-TCP-IP-Server-Module-Ethernet-Converter/32685599659.html
>
> --
> LÉVAI Dániel
> PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
> Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D  650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F

--
LÉVAI Dániel
PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
Key fingerprint = DBEC C66B A47A DFA2 792D  650C C69B BE4C 83B6 3A8F