RFC: Switch Python to 2.4 by default

Marc Balmer
We intend to switch the default Python version from 2.3 to 2.4
anytime soon.  This means that all ports using Python will use
version 2.4 instead of 2.3, which was the default until now.

Python 2.3 will remain in the tree.

We are currently running bulk builds with Python 2.4 enabled to
see if there are any ill effects.

If you have any comments in this change, now is the time to
speak up.

- Marc Balmer

Re: RFC: Switch Python to 2.4 by default

Andrew Dalgleish
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 02:31:40AM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:

> We intend to switch the default Python version from 2.3 to 2.4
> anytime soon.  This means that all ports using Python will use
> version 2.4 instead of 2.3, which was the default until now.
>
> Python 2.3 will remain in the tree.
>
> We are currently running bulk builds with Python 2.4 enabled to
> see if there are any ill effects.
>
> If you have any comments in this change, now is the time to
> speak up.

Not directly, but 2.4 doesn't yet symlink python -> python2.4
(2.3 does this in pkg/INSTALL)

Regards,
Andrew Dalgleish

Re: RFC: Switch Python to 2.4 by default

Damien Miller
Please do! I have been building my ports with MODPY_VER=2.4 for a
while.

-d

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:31:40 +0100
Marc Balmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We intend to switch the default Python version from 2.3 to 2.4
> anytime soon.  This means that all ports using Python will use
> version 2.4 instead of 2.3, which was the default until now.
>
> Python 2.3 will remain in the tree.
>
> We are currently running bulk builds with Python 2.4 enabled to
> see if there are any ill effects.
>
> If you have any comments in this change, now is the time to
> speak up.
>
> - Marc Balmer

Re: RFC: Switch Python to 2.4 by default

Aleksander Piotrowski
Andrew Dalgleish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not directly, but 2.4 doesn't yet symlink python -> python2.4
> (2.3 does this in pkg/INSTALL)

IIRC pkg/MESSAGE tells user that he should create symlink...

Alek
--
Look at the logic:
     We be nice, they ignore us.
 -- Nick Holland, http://monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0410/msg03237.html

Re: RFC: Switch Python to 2.4 by default

umaxx

> We are currently running bulk builds with Python 2.4 enabled to
> see if there are any ill effects.
>
> If you have any comments in this change, now is the time to
> speak up.

i think there could be a problem with python expat module.
python 2.3 build expat as one of the multiple packages.
python 2.4 does not - its part of core.

so this means every python port which uses expat package in a way like
this:

RUN_DEPENDS=    ${MODPY_EXPAT_DEPENDS}

and has not defined python version 2.3 will not build,
for example:

textproc/py-ElementTree
textproc/py-xml (uses expat as flavor)
www/rawdog

not sure, but the same problem maybe for 2.3 python-mpz package.

regards,

joerg

http://www.umaxx.net

Joerg Zinke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i think there could be a problem with python expat module.
> python 2.3 build expat as one of the multiple packages.
> python 2.4 does not - its part of core.

I guess that it could be built as separate module.

> so this means every python port which uses expat package in a way like
> this:
>
> RUN_DEPENDS=    ${MODPY_EXPAT_DEPENDS}
>
> and has not defined python version 2.3 will not build,
> for example:
>
> textproc/py-ElementTree
> textproc/py-xml (uses expat as flavor)
> www/rawdog
>
> not sure, but the same problem maybe for 2.3 python-mpz package.

IIRC there is no mpz package in newer version of python as it has been
depreciated.

I'm going to switch our default python version to 2.4 from 2.3 this
weekend.  Of course I'll test all dependencies so there is no need to
panic (;

Alek
--
Kiedy wspominam Lengorchię, zdaje mi się teraz wręcz nierzeczywista. Jakby
była snem złocistym od kurzu unoszącego się nad polami, gdzie chleb dojrzewa
 -- Ewa Białołęcka, Kamień na szczycie

Re: RFC: Switch Python to 2.4 by default

umaxx
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:35:39 +0100
Aleksander Piotrowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joerg Zinke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > i think there could be a problem with python expat module.
> > python 2.3 build expat as one of the multiple packages.
> > python 2.4 does not - its part of core.
>
> I guess that it could be built as separate module.

IMHO no need for an seperate module. i like it how it is : )
just remove the dependecy line from the ports and everything
should be fine.

> I'm going to switch our default python version to 2.4 from 2.3 this
> weekend.  Of course I'll test all dependencies so there is no need to
> panic (;

cool : )

http://www.umaxx.net

Re: RFC: Switch Python to 2.4 by default

Rik Burt
Joerg Zinke wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:35:39 +0100
> Aleksander Piotrowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
--snip

I have been using version 2.4 as default for a period of time.  Will
subversion, koffice and other ports that have Makefiles that point at
python 2.3 be adjusted?

Rik

Rik Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been using version 2.4 as default for a period of time.  Will
> subversion, koffice and other ports that have Makefiles that point at
> python 2.3 be adjusted?

I guess that yes, all ports that uses python will be affected.

Alek
--
Żadne słowa nie mogły opisać rozmiarów tej kobiety. Piersi niczym obronne
fortyfikacje. Strzelista wieżyca karku, zwieńczona ziemistym bladym księżycem