RAID controller recommendation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RAID controller recommendation

Matthew S Elmore
Greetings misc@,

I am currently building a mail server and would like to utilize OpenBSD
with a SATA RAID setup. We need preferably a multi-channel controller,
to do two mirrored arrays (both 2x160GB). If we must, we can use two
single-channel controllers.

The ability to rebuild a damaged or corrupted array while leaving the
system up is imperative.

Which hardware would you recommend for OpenBSD? (Or, less specifically,
which drives are most mature for RAID controllers on OpenBSD). What
utilities will I use for rebuilding the array, or is this something that
must come from the manufacturer?

Your input is most appreciated!

Matt

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RAID controller recommendation

Brandon Mercer-2
Matthew S Elmore wrote:

> Greetings misc@,
>
> I am currently building a mail server and would like to utilize
> OpenBSD with a SATA RAID setup. We need preferably a multi-channel
> controller, to do two mirrored arrays (both 2x160GB). If we must, we
> can use two single-channel controllers.
>
> The ability to rebuild a damaged or corrupted array while leaving the
> system up is imperative.
>
> Which hardware would you recommend for OpenBSD? (Or, less
> specifically, which drives are most mature for RAID controllers on
> OpenBSD). What utilities will I use for rebuilding the array, or is
> this something that must come from the manufacturer?

Input is to read the archives... this has been discussed in great
length.  Almost to the point where it isn't even fun to say, read the
archives ;-).
Brandon

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RAID controller recommendation

Matthew S Elmore-2
Of course I did search the lists and web before posting to the list, but
I was unable to clear up a few different things.

If I purchase, for example, an LSI/Symbios MegaRAID 150-4, supported by
the ami(4) driver, will I be able to use bioctl(8) to manage the array
without rebooting the machine?

By managing, I mean from controlling audible alarms to rebuilding or
creating arrays.

If someone can point me to something more specific, or recommend a
specific piece of hard to use, I will be thrilled!

Many thanks!

Matt

Brandon Mercer wrote:

> Matthew S Elmore wrote:
>
>> Greetings misc@,
>>
>> I am currently building a mail server and would like to utilize
>> OpenBSD with a SATA RAID setup. We need preferably a multi-channel
>> controller, to do two mirrored arrays (both 2x160GB). If we must, we
>> can use two single-channel controllers.
>>
>> The ability to rebuild a damaged or corrupted array while leaving the
>> system up is imperative.
>>
>> Which hardware would you recommend for OpenBSD? (Or, less
>> specifically, which drives are most mature for RAID controllers on
>> OpenBSD). What utilities will I use for rebuilding the array, or is
>> this something that must come from the manufacturer?
>
> Input is to read the archives... this has been discussed in great
> length.  Almost to the point where it isn't even fun to say, read the
> archives ;-).
> Brandon

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RAID controller recommendation

Marco Peereboom
In reply to this post by Matthew S Elmore
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 02:36:15PM -0600, Matthew S Elmore wrote:
> Greetings misc@,

Yo.

>
> I am currently building a mail server and would like to utilize OpenBSD
> with a SATA RAID setup. We need preferably a multi-channel controller,
> to do two mirrored arrays (both 2x160GB). If we must, we can use two
> single-channel controllers.

There is some pretty solid support with ami(4) RAID controllers.  Be careful to
not buy one of those so called "host based RAID" controllers though.  Those are
basically special drivers and won't ever work on OpenBSD due to its closed
nature.

>
> The ability to rebuild a damaged or corrupted array while leaving the
> system up is imperative.

Ok, so make sure you set the rebuild rate at something that doesn't cripple the
server under load.  This is controller and system specific so you need to play
a little with this.

>
> Which hardware would you recommend for OpenBSD? (Or, less specifically,
> which drives are most mature for RAID controllers on OpenBSD). What

So you are contradicting yourself by saying SATA and "imperative" and more of
that type of language.  If you need something that requires performance and
high uptimes you really want SCSI.  If you just want something cheap where
reliability and performance is not really an issue you can go for SATA.

Choose wisely since you get what you pay for.

> utilities will I use for rebuilding the array, or is this something that
> must come from the manufacturer?

OpenBSD comes with bioctl(8) to manage your ami(4) based cards (really LSI
MegaRAID these days instead of AMI).

Any good RAID card will autorebuild a failed array.

>
> Your input is most appreciated!
>
> Matt
>

/marco

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RAID controller recommendation

Marco Peereboom
In reply to this post by Matthew S Elmore-2
http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20050909214841
http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20051021103104

Carry both a lot of good information.  Click through the links.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 04:09:29PM -0600, Matthew S Elmore wrote:

> Of course I did search the lists and web before posting to the list, but
> I was unable to clear up a few different things.
>
> If I purchase, for example, an LSI/Symbios MegaRAID 150-4, supported by
> the ami(4) driver, will I be able to use bioctl(8) to manage the array
> without rebooting the machine?
>
> By managing, I mean from controlling audible alarms to rebuilding or
> creating arrays.
>
> If someone can point me to something more specific, or recommend a
> specific piece of hard to use, I will be thrilled!
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Matt
>
> Brandon Mercer wrote:
> >Matthew S Elmore wrote:
> >
> >>Greetings misc@,
> >>
> >>I am currently building a mail server and would like to utilize
> >>OpenBSD with a SATA RAID setup. We need preferably a multi-channel
> >>controller, to do two mirrored arrays (both 2x160GB). If we must, we
> >>can use two single-channel controllers.
> >>
> >>The ability to rebuild a damaged or corrupted array while leaving the
> >>system up is imperative.
> >>
> >>Which hardware would you recommend for OpenBSD? (Or, less
> >>specifically, which drives are most mature for RAID controllers on
> >>OpenBSD). What utilities will I use for rebuilding the array, or is
> >>this something that must come from the manufacturer?
> >
> >Input is to read the archives... this has been discussed in great
> >length.  Almost to the point where it isn't even fun to say, read the
> >archives ;-).
> >Brandon

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RAID controller recommendation

beck-7
In reply to this post by Marco Peereboom
> Any good RAID card will autorebuild a failed array.
>

   Caveat Emptor: There is also a lot of crap out there. Marco you
know as well as I do that this statement will be read by people who
say "It says Adaptec on the box so it must be good" - and then
be surprised when it doesnt.

   So, I'm saying I agree with marco, but even if you think it's
"good" don't believe it until you see it.

  Buy it from somewhere you can take it back. if it doesn't work
out of box when you start pulling drives *TAKE IT BACK*

        -Bob