Quick question on packages and snapshots

Quick question on packages and snapshots

Andrew Hamilton
Hello All,

    I'm about to take the plunge and install the latest 3.8 snapshot
(12/17/05) on my Zaurus c3k, but I've got one question.  In the snapshot
folder on ftp.openbsd.org in the subfolder of packages/arm (full path:
ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/arm/) there are a large
number of precompiled packages (some of which I would love to use!).  My
only question relates to the fact that all of these packages have dates
of 10/17/05.  Will they be compatible with the latest 3.8 snapshot?  If
so great, if not, what would be the recommended installation to take
advantage of packages (I'm assuming 3.8 stable)?

Regards,

Andrew H.

Re: Quick question on packages and snapshots

Stuart Henderson
--On 19 December 2005 15:27 +0800, Andrew Hamilton wrote:

> there are a large number of precompiled packages (some of which I
> would love to use!).  My only question relates to the fact that all
> of these packages have dates of 10/17/05.  Will they be compatible
> with the latest 3.8 snapshot?

Mostly yes, it looks like only libpcap has had a major-version change
between then and now (if you need to, either build ports that want it
from source, or look for an out-of-date mirrored copy of base38.tgz
from November to extract the relevant file from).

> If so great, if not, what would be the
> recommended installation to take advantage of packages (I'm assuming
> 3.8 stable)?

stable will take a little while to build... I'd go with current, even
if the only reason was because of the shorter timer for the on/off
button to suspend the machine (:

If a package isn't available for the snapshot but is available for
3.8-release, you might want to try it before compiling, especially for
something large (as you probably noticed, there are quite a lot more
packages for the release). If this is a fresh install (as I guess it
might be from 'take the plunge'), you could first install base from 3.8
then upgrade to current to make sure you have the right libraries
hanging around.