Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Christoph R. Murauer
Hello !

As there are many cheap G5 machines out there, I would like to ask,
whether fan control (meaned, that the system doesn't run hot and not
manually control it) is available and, whether someone does some
Haskell staff (ghc, xmonad and so on) on this machines ?

Thanks for answers.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Brian Conway
Not an OpenBSD developer and only speaking from experience, but I have a
pair of final model Mac Mini G4s (1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM), and they definitely
spin the fans down at idle and back up during release builds. They run cool
and quiet, I quite like them.

Brian Conway
Software Engineer, Owner
RCE Software, LLC

On Jan 31, 2016 2:35 AM, "Christoph R. Murauer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello !
>
> As there are many cheap G5 machines out there, I would like to ask,
> whether fan control (meaned, that the system doesn't run hot and not
> manually control it) is available and, whether someone does some
> Haskell staff (ghc, xmonad and so on) on this machines ?
>
> Thanks for answers.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Martin Pieuchot
On 31/01/16(Sun) 09:30, Christoph R. Murauer wrote:
> Hello !
>
> As there are many cheap G5 machines out there, I would like to ask,
> whether fan control (meaned, that the system doesn't run hot and not
> manually control it) is available and, whether someone does some
> Haskell staff (ghc, xmonad and so on) on this machines ?
>
> Thanks for answers.

Fan control is left to the firmware and at least on PowerMacs (towers)
the machines do not run hot.

If you want to get one of such machines make sure to pick one with a
radeon card.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Christoph R. Murauer
Hello Brian !

Thanks for your answer.

> Not an OpenBSD developer and only speaking from experience, but I have
> pair of final model Mac Mini G4s (1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM), and they
> definitely
> spin the fans down at idle and back up during release builds. They run
> cool
> and quiet, I quite like them.

Sounds good. Yes, I can remember, had a slower original G4 years ago
... borrowed it to someone who let them die but good machines.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Herminio Hernandez Jr.
Craigslist. I got mine for $50

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 31, 2016, at 2:30 AM, Christoph R. Murauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello !
>
> As there are many cheap G5 machines out there, I would like to ask,
> whether fan control (meaned, that the system doesn't run hot and not
> manually control it) is available and, whether someone does some
> Haskell staff (ghc, xmonad and so on) on this machines ?
>
> Thanks for answers.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Christoph R. Murauer
Hello Martin !

Thanks for your answer.

> Fan control is left to the firmware and at least on PowerMacs (towers)
> the machines do not run hot.

That is good. On my MacBook Pro (Intel i7) I could make some ham and
eggs ...

> If you want to get one of such machines make sure to pick one with a
> radeon card.

Yes, found one, should be a 2 x 1,8 GHz with a Radeon 9something Pro
which is not in the list of supported hardware for something like €
160 (including cables and so on).

I let me surprise what I will get.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Christoph R. Murauer
Hello Herminio !

Thanks for your answer.

> Craigslist. I got mine for $50
>
> Sent from my iPhone

To far, I try it on a subpage of ebay Germany.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Herminio Hernandez Jr.
I find those deals all the time in the US.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 31, 2016, at 11:09 AM, Christoph R. Murauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Herminio !
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
>> Craigslist. I got mine for $50
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>
> To far, I try it on a subpage of ebay Germany.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Christoph R. Murauer
> I find those deals all the time in the US.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Good to know, thanks.

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 09:30:51AM +0100, Christoph R. Murauer wrote:
> Hello !
>
> As there are many cheap G5 machines out there, I would like to ask,
> whether fan control (meaned, that the system doesn't run hot and not
> manually control it) is available and, whether someone does some
> Haskell staff (ghc, xmonad and so on) on this machines ?

The GHC port doesn't work on powerpc.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Questions about PowerMac G5 (fan control, haskell) ?

Christoph R. Murauer
Hello !

Thanks for your answer.

> The GHC port doesn't work on powerpc.

Any chances (have no machine to try it) to build the community / older
version of ghc ?