Question regarding wi-fi card support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question regarding wi-fi card support

flauenroth
Dear list,


I am in the need for a proper wi-fi solution for my Lenovo E485.

The original card was some qualcom stuff that went right into my trashcan. I´ve replaced it with a Intel Wireless AC 9260 2230 2x2 + BT Gigabit vPro since it was catching dust but no success. Now before I spent money on a proper card I want to make sure the card is supported and works properly. I am aware of the OpenBSD network FAQ and the hardware listed there but hopefully some fellow OpenBSD user can recommend a card. My EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter works pretty decent but it´s no real solution.

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.


Fabian

signature.asc (490 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding wi-fi card support

Christoph R. Winter
Hello !

I use a "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260" which is supported by iwm(4) in a T440p and a W541 (booth M.2 but check if your model supports it before you buy it).
BTW Bluetooth is not supported, with no card. I highly recommand, do not start the BT topic again because the list is full of it. If you are interested, just use the search function.

Regards,


Christoph


8. August 2019 23:31, "flauenroth" <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> Dear list,
>
> I am in the need for a proper wi-fi solution for my Lenovo E485.
>
> The original card was some qualcom stuff that went right into my trashcan. I´ve replaced it with a
> Intel Wireless AC 9260 2230 2x2 + BT Gigabit vPro since it was catching dust but no success. Now
> before I spent money on a proper card I want to make sure the card is supported and works properly.
> I am aware of the OpenBSD network FAQ and the hardware listed there but hopefully some fellow
> OpenBSD user can recommend a card. My EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter works pretty decent but
> it´s no real solution.
>
> Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.
>
> Fabian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding wi-fi card support

Timo Myyrä-6
In reply to this post by flauenroth
flauenroth <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear list,
>
>
> I am in the need for a proper wi-fi solution for my Lenovo E485.
>
> The original card was some qualcom stuff that went right into my
> trashcan. I´ve replaced it with a Intel Wireless AC 9260 2230 2x2 + BT
> Gigabit vPro since it was catching dust but no success. Now before I
> spent money on a proper card I want to make sure the card is supported
> and works properly. I am aware of the OpenBSD network FAQ and the
> hardware listed there but hopefully some fellow OpenBSD user can
> recommend a card. My EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter works
> pretty decent but it´s no real solution.
>
> Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.
>
>
> Fabian

I replaced the default wireless card with following which has worked just fine on my e485:
> iwm0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265" rev 0x78, msi

Timo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding wi-fi card support

flauenroth
Thanks a lot for the answers. Now I can order some some cards and replace the one on my notebook and some other old Thinkpads I have floating around.


> BTW Bluetooth is not supported, with no card. I highly recommand, do > not start the BT topic again because the list is full of it. If you  > are interested, just use the search function.

Thanks for the headsup but I don´t use BT ever on my devices. It´s a nice tech for some stuff but absolutely not needed in my every day life/work.


Fabian
_______________________________
Always exit with 42 to return the answer.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, August 9, 2019 4:06 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> flauenroth [hidden email] writes:
>

> > Dear list,
> > I am in the need for a proper wi-fi solution for my Lenovo E485.
> > The original card was some qualcom stuff that went right into my
> > trashcan. I´ve replaced it with a Intel Wireless AC 9260 2230 2x2 + BT
> > Gigabit vPro since it was catching dust but no success. Now before I
> > spent money on a proper card I want to make sure the card is supported
> > and works properly. I am aware of the OpenBSD network FAQ and the
> > hardware listed there but hopefully some fellow OpenBSD user can
> > recommend a card. My EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter works
> > pretty decent but it´s no real solution.
> > Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.
> > Fabian
>

> I replaced the default wireless card with following which has worked just fine on my e485:
>

> > iwm0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265" rev 0x78, msi
>

> Timo


signature.asc (490 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding wi-fi card support

Christoph R. Winter
Welcome.
As I told you, keep in mind to check the FRU list before ordering.

9. August 2019 14:53, "flauenroth" <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> Thanks a lot for the answers. Now I can order some some cards and replace the one on my notebook
> and some other old Thinkpads I have floating around.
>
>> BTW Bluetooth is not supported, with no card. I highly recommand, do > not start the BT topic again
>> because the list is full of it. If you > are interested, just use the search function.
>
> Thanks for the headsup but I don´t use BT ever on my devices. It´s a nice tech for some stuff but
> absolutely not needed in my every day life/work.
>
> Fabian
> _______________________________
> Always exit with 42 to return the answer.
>
> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Friday, August 9, 2019 4:06 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> flauenroth [hidden email] writes:
>>
>> Dear list,
>> I am in the need for a proper wi-fi solution for my Lenovo E485.
>> The original card was some qualcom stuff that went right into my
>> trashcan. I´ve replaced it with a Intel Wireless AC 9260 2230 2x2 + BT
>> Gigabit vPro since it was catching dust but no success. Now before I
>> spent money on a proper card I want to make sure the card is supported
>> and works properly. I am aware of the OpenBSD network FAQ and the
>> hardware listed there but hopefully some fellow OpenBSD user can
>> recommend a card. My EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter works
>> pretty decent but it´s no real solution.
>> Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.
>> Fabian
>>
>> I replaced the default wireless card with following which has worked just fine on my e485:
>>
>> iwm0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265" rev 0x78, msi
>>
>> Timo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding wi-fi card support

Timothy Brown
In reply to this post by flauenroth
On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 09:30:20PM +0000, flauenroth wrote:
> I am in the need for a proper wi-fi solution for my Lenovo E485.

I've replaced the original one in my work Dell XPS13 with:

iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev 0x3a, msi
iwm0: hw rev 0x200, fw ver 16.242414.0,

It's M.2 card, works well.

Tim

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding wi-fi card support

Tony Boston-2
keep in mind that  iwm(4) doesn’t have 802.11ac functionality

from the manpage:
The iwm driver does not support any of the 802.11ac capabilities offered
     by the adapters.  Support for 802.11n 40MHz channels and Tx aggregation
     is not yet implemented.  Additional work is required in ieee80211(9)
     before those features can be supported.

just so you know

I stumbled upon this when I installed OpenBSD on a few thinkpads with those chips built-in and was wondering why I couldn’t connect to my 2nd home network

--
Tony

GPG-FP: 49CC8250 CDCF2183 6209C1AE 625677C1 F7783D5F
Threema: DN8PJX4Z





> On 9. Aug 2019, at 15:32, Timothy Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 09:30:20PM +0000, flauenroth wrote:
>> I am in the need for a proper wi-fi solution for my Lenovo E485.
>
> I've replaced the original one in my work Dell XPS13 with:
>
> iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev 0x3a, msi
> iwm0: hw rev 0x200, fw ver 16.242414.0,
>
> It's M.2 card, works well.
>
> Tim
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding wi-fi card support

flauenroth
Thanks for the headsup. I am aware of the limitations and the manpage/Network FAQ gave me a lot of needed info. But I wanted the "best" possible experience for the few times where I really need wi-fi to work. And while the FAQ lists all the supported drivers my experience is, that the drivers change so often from model to model that I lose track most of the time. So when I can get some first hand experience I am glady taking it. As a sidenot, this is the first ever Thinkpad that didn´t work "out of the box" with OpenBSD. Only thing left for the E485 now is the lid closed -> wakeup "problem" but that´s something I can dig into by myself and if everything fails, I wait for Theo to get it working on his one.


have a nice weekend and thanks for all the replies,

Fabian


_______________________________
Always exit with 42 to return the answer.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, August 10, 2019 11:50 AM, Tony Boston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> keep in mind that iwm(4) doesn’t have 802.11ac functionality
>

> from the manpage:
> The iwm driver does not support any of the 802.11ac capabilities offered
> by the adapters. Support for 802.11n 40MHz channels and Tx aggregation
> is not yet implemented. Additional work is required in ieee80211(9)
> before those features can be supported.
>

> just so you know
>

> I stumbled upon this when I installed OpenBSD on a few thinkpads with those chips built-in and was wondering why I couldn’t connect to my 2nd home network
>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> Tony
>

> GPG-FP: 49CC8250 CDCF2183 6209C1AE 625677C1 F7783D5F
> Threema: DN8PJX4Z
>

> > On 9. Aug 2019, at 15:32, Timothy Brown [hidden email] wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 09:30:20PM +0000, flauenroth wrote:
> >

> > > I am in the need for a proper wi-fi solution for my Lenovo E485.
> >

> > I've replaced the original one in my work Dell XPS13 with:
> > iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev 0x3a, msi
> > iwm0: hw rev 0x200, fw ver 16.242414.0,
> > It's M.2 card, works well.
> > Tim


signature.asc (490 bytes) Download Attachment