Question regarding to dsniff.

Mateusz Gierblinski
Hello

I'm playing around with some security tools and I would like to test out the
dsniff package. I have tried to install dsniff using ports, db, libnet &
dsniff had been compiled but on the end of the installation process log file
told me that the installation of dsniff had been faked. Why?

Mateusz

Re: Question regarding to dsniff.

Nick Guenther
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Mateusz Gierblinski
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm playing around with some security tools and I would like to test out the
> dsniff package. I have tried to install dsniff using ports, db, libnet &
> dsniff had been compiled but on the end of the installation process log file
> told me that the installation of dsniff had been faked. Why?

You built from ports right? Ports "fakes" installation to somewhere
under the ports tree, then builds a package from that, then, if you've
said 'make install', runs pkg_add on that package.

Re: Question regarding to dsniff.

Olivier Cherrier
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:39:02PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm playing around with some security tools and I would like to test out the
> dsniff package. I have tried to install dsniff using ports, db, libnet &
> dsniff had been compiled but on the end of the installation process log file
> told me that the installation of dsniff had been faked. Why?

You can read ports(7) and bsd.port.mk(5)

--
Olivier Cherrier - Symacx.com
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Question regarding to dsniff.

Mateusz Gierblinski
Hi again

@Nick: It seems that you're right. OpenBSD creates *.tgz package from source
and stores it in /usr/ports/packages/i386/all and after that the package is
automatically installed, but the problem is that  package is not installed
in the end. Even tryied to install the package manually but this also did
not work.

@Olivier: Yes, I did and found something about it in OpenBSD FAQ, but
nothing that could actually help me out.

I think it would be a good idea to contact Dug Song about this issue.

Anyway, thanks a lot for advice :-)

Mateusz

2009/11/24 Olivier Cherrier <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:39:02PM +0100, [hidden email]:
> > I'm playing around with some security tools and I would like to test out
> the
> > dsniff package. I have tried to install dsniff using ports, db, libnet &
> > dsniff had been compiled but on the end of the installation process log
> file
> > told me that the installation of dsniff had been faked. Why?
>
> You can read ports(7) and bsd.port.mk(5)
>
> --
> Olivier Cherrier - Symacx.com
> mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Question regarding to dsniff.

Nick Guenther
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Mateusz Gierblinski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/11/24 Olivier Cherrier <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:39:02PM +0100, [hidden email]:
>> > I'm playing around with some security tools and I would like to test out
>> the
>> > dsniff package. I have tried to install dsniff using ports, db, libnet &
>> > dsniff had been compiled but on the end of the installation process log
>> file
>> > told me that the installation of dsniff had been faked. Why?
>>
>> You can read ports(7) and bsd.port.mk(5)
>>
>> --
>> Olivier Cherrier - Symacx.com
>> mailto:[hidden email]
>

> Hi again
>
> @Nick: It seems that you're right. OpenBSD creates *.tgz package from source
> and stores it in /usr/ports/packages/i386/all and after that the package is
> automatically installed, but the problem is that  package is not installed
> in the end. Even tryied to install the package manually but this also did
> not work.

..oh? Show us your command log. Did you run 'make install'? Did you
run 'sudo make install'? Maybe you're missing an R-dep?

-Nick

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:11:57PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> @Nick: It seems that you're right. OpenBSD creates *.tgz package from source
> and stores it in /usr/ports/packages/i386/all and after that the package is
> automatically installed, but the problem is that  package is not installed
> in the end. Even tryied to install the package manually but this also did
> not work.
>
> @Olivier: Yes, I did and found something about it in OpenBSD FAQ, but
> nothing that could actually help me out.

As Nick said, something is broken in the chain.
It would be useful to post your /etc/mk.conf, your environment and the
full log of the command "cd /usr/ports/security/dsniff/ && make install".

> I think it would be a good idea to contact Dug Song about this issue.

$ cd /usr/ports/security/dsniff/
$ make show=MAINTAINER
The OpenBSD ports mailing-list <[hidden email]>
$

--
Olivier Cherrier - Symacx.com
mailto:[hidden email]

On 2009-11-23, Mateusz Gierblinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm playing around with some security tools and I would like to test out the
> dsniff package.

set PKG_PATH, for example to

export PKG_PATH=ftp://some.mirror/pub/OpenBSD/`uname -r`/packages/`arch -s`/

(or replace `uname -r` with snapshots if you use -current).

Then: sudo pkg_add -i dsniff

> I have tried to install dsniff using ports

there is no point, on OpenBSD you never install anything from the port
directly, always from the package, and these are already built for you.

if you're hacking on the ports tree, modifying things yourself, or if
you're using something we can't provide as a package, then there's a
point in using ports. otherwise it's a waste of time.