Question on -stable

Rakhesh Sasidharan-3
My apologies if this has been asked earlier and I missed out in the
archives/ FAQ.

I am using OpenBSD 3.9 -release with the -release branch of the ports
tree (ports.tar.gz downloaded from the 3.9 FTP directory). I undestand
that if I do "cd /usr/ports && cvs -q up -dP -rOPENBSD_3_9" it would
bring my -release ports tree to -stable. Right?

After I do that, how do I know which installed ports have security
updates and so I must update them? Any commands for that?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--
        NetBSD/i386 3.0 + pkgsrc-current | OpenBSD/i386 3.9
        http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.netbsd.* (netbsd archives)
        http://man.netbsd.org/ | http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi (manpages)

Re: Question on -stable

Joachim Schipper
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:07:17AM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> My apologies if this has been asked earlier and I missed out in the
> archives/ FAQ.
>
> I am using OpenBSD 3.9 -release with the -release branch of the ports
> tree (ports.tar.gz downloaded from the 3.9 FTP directory). I undestand
> that if I do "cd /usr/ports && cvs -q up -dP -rOPENBSD_3_9" it would
> bring my -release ports tree to -stable. Right?
>
> After I do that, how do I know which installed ports have security
> updates and so I must update them? Any commands for that?

Start with pkg_add -u, and go from there. OpenBSD mostly uses packages.

There is also a ports(7) command to do this, but it escapes me at the
moment.

                Joachim

Re: Question on -stable

Rakhesh Sasidharan-3
> Start with pkg_add -u, and go from there. OpenBSD mostly uses packages.
>
> There is also a ports(7) command to do this, but it escapes me at the
> moment.

Yup. My question was for those packages that dont have a package
equivalent and needs updating thru ports. :)

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--
        NetBSD/i386 3.0 + pkgsrc-current | OpenBSD/i386 3.9
        http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.netbsd.* (netbsd archives)
        http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.openbsd.* (openbsd archives)
        http://man.netbsd.org/ | http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi (manpages)

Re: Question on -stable

Nico Meijer
Hi Rakhesh,

> > There is also a ports(7) command to do this, but it escapes me at the
> > moment.
>
> Yup. My question was for those packages that dont have a package
> equivalent and needs updating thru ports. :)

/usr/ports/infrastructure/build/out-of-date, perhaps?

HTH... Nico

Re: Question on -stable

Rakhesh Sasidharan-3
> http://www.openbsd.org/pkg-stable.html

I assume that that list is not limited to just binary packages? Even
those available *only* in the ports are included?

Re: Question on -stable

Brad Smith-14
On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 04:21:26AM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> >http://www.openbsd.org/pkg-stable.html
>
> I assume that that list is not limited to just binary packages? Even
> those available *only* in the ports are included?

Since a package is built from a port then by looking at that list you
can find out what ports have been updated.

Re: Question on -stable

Rakhesh Sasidharan-3
> > >http://www.openbsd.org/pkg-stable.html
> >
> > I assume that that list is not limited to just binary packages? Even
> > those available *only* in the ports are included?
>
> Since a package is built from a port then by looking at that list you
> can find out what ports have been updated.

Except that some ports are not built into packages (an example I came
upon recently being win32-codecs) and so I wonder if those too are
mentioned in the pkg-stable.html list.

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 04:35:16AM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> >> I assume that that list is not limited to just binary packages? Even
> >> those available *only* in the ports are included?
> >
> >Since a package is built from a port then by looking at that list you
> >can find out what ports have been updated.
>
> Except that some ports are not built into packages (an example I came
> upon recently being win32-codecs) and so I wonder if those too are
> mentioned in the pkg-stable.html list.

There are *very few* ports that cannot be made into packages even for the
FTP site, win32-codecs is one of those exceptions.

Re: Question on -stable

Nikolay Sturm-2
* Rakhesh Sasidharan [2006-06-10]:
> >http://www.openbsd.org/pkg-stable.html
> I assume that that list is not limited to just binary packages? Even
> those available *only* in the ports are included?

That list is limited to binary package updates.

Nikolay