Quad-port GigE NIC

Arrigo Triulzi
Does anyone have good experiences with a low-profile PCI Quad-port
adapter under OpenBSD?

I've found the following which appears to use a Broadcom chipset (bge*):

    Interphase SlotOptimizerTM 554GB PCI/PCI-X Quad-Port Gigabit
Ethernet Adapter
    http://tinyurl.com/d9bsu

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for low-profile
Quad-port cards which are known to work on OpenBSD (this one needs to
go in the half-height PCI slot of an HPQ DL320G3).

Thanks in advance,

Arrigo

Re: Quad-port GigE NIC

Claudio Jeker
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:32:42AM +0100, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:

> Does anyone have good experiences with a low-profile PCI Quad-port
> adapter under OpenBSD?
>
> I've found the following which appears to use a Broadcom chipset (bge*):
>
>    Interphase SlotOptimizerTM 554GB PCI/PCI-X Quad-Port Gigabit
> Ethernet Adapter
>    http://tinyurl.com/d9bsu
>
> I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for low-profile
> Quad-port cards which are known to work on OpenBSD (this one needs to
> go in the half-height PCI slot of an HPQ DL320G3).

AFAIK it is not possible to fit a quad port Ethernet card into a
low-profile PCI slot. The 4 RJ45 ports need more space than allowed by the
PCI spec.

:wq Claudio

Re: Quad-port GigE NIC

Arrigo Triulzi
> AFAIK it is not possible to fit a quad port Ethernet card into a
> low-profile PCI slot. The 4 RJ45 ports need more space than allowed by
> the
> PCI spec.

Actually the card in the tinyurl link I sent claims to fit the
half-height slot of the HPQ DL320 G3 (I have a 3Ware SATA RAID card in
the other).

I don't know how they do it.  In reality I'd only need three but it
seems that it is either 2 or 4...

Arrigo

Re: Quad-port GigE NIC

Claudio Jeker
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:54:27PM +0100, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:
> >AFAIK it is not possible to fit a quad port Ethernet card into a
> >low-profile PCI slot. The 4 RJ45 ports need more space than allowed by
> >the
> >PCI spec.
>
> Actually the card in the tinyurl link I sent claims to fit the
> half-height slot of the HPQ DL320 G3 (I have a 3Ware SATA RAID card in
> the other).

The tech spec of that Quad Port card talks about
Width:  10.7 cm (4.2 in.)
Length: 16/5 cm (6.5 in.)

Which is not low-profile but a normal PCI card.
There is no such thing as a half-height slot. There is only low-profile.
Because low-profile (64mm) is bigger than half a normal PCI (107mm) card.

> I don't know how they do it.  In reality I'd only need three but it
> seems that it is either 2 or 4...

2 ports on low profile are no problem and I think you can find em(4) in
that form factor. As I said I doubt that someone packed 4 ports on a
low-profile card.

:wq Claudio

Re: Quad-port GigE NIC

Arrigo Triulzi
> The tech spec of that Quad Port card talks about
> Width:  10.7 cm (4.2 in.)
> Length: 16/5 cm (6.5 in.)
>
> Which is not low-profile but a normal PCI card.
> There is no such thing as a half-height slot. There is only
> low-profile.
> Because low-profile (64mm) is bigger than half a normal PCI (107mm)
> card.

My apologies, I read the wrong link.  The one I was looking at was
indeed a 2x UTP socket card and then I looked at the 4x UTP and didn't
realise that it was back to full-height.

And my apologies for getting the naming convention wrong.

> 2 ports on low profile are no problem and I think you can find em(4) in
> that form factor. As I said I doubt that someone packed 4 ports on a
> low-profile card.

Indeed, I have one of those already.  I need another port but nobody
seems to make a 3-port em(4) (or anything else for that matter) which
is all I want...

Arrigo

Re: Quad-port GigE NIC

Arrigo Triulzi
I found this card which says "low-profile":

        http://www.lewiz.com/talon3008.html

and looks low-profile.

Sadly I don't know what the chipset is (Talon doesn't mean much to me),
I've asked by e-mail, awaiting their reply.

Arrigo