Qemu segmentation fault linux guest

Jan Lambertz
Hello,
I try to run a qemu  linux guest ontop of my openbsd 5.1 i386. I've tried
nearly any possible qemu command. I've tested archlinux,debian,sled and
ubuntu. In every case,qemu core dumps when loading the linux kernel. When i
run an openbsd guest with same qemu configuration, everything works
fine.ami missing something general ? No-acpi and vlan tweaks tested
with no effect.
My system has no hardware virtualisation support. Intel D525 cpu.

Re: Qemu segmentation fault linux guest

Brett Mahar-2
On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 07:15:13 +0100
Jan Lambertz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I try to run a qemu  linux guest ontop of my openbsd 5.1 i386. I've tried
> nearly any possible qemu command. I've tested archlinux,debian,sled and
> ubuntu. In every case,qemu core dumps when loading the linux kernel. When i
> run an openbsd guest with same qemu configuration, everything works
> fine.ami missing something general ? No-acpi and vlan tweaks tested
> with no effect.
> My system has no hardware virtualisation support. Intel D525 cpu.

I had the same problem a while back and as suggested on the mailing list, OpenSuse11.4 worked for me.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=131977715309792&w=2

Newer versions of qemu might need -m 512 or something lower than the -m 1300 shown on the above link. Haven't used qemu for quite a while so I'm not sure if it will still work with OpenSuse, but it did a year ago.

Brett.

Re: Qemu segmentation fault linux guest

Jan Lambertz
Hello again,

after several hours of testing i found a solution for my problem. Here the
command i run as root (so no ulimit problems):
qemu-system-i386 -smp 1 -drive
file=harddisk.qcow2,if=sd,media=disk,cache=writeback,aio=native -cdrom
/mnt/usb/debian-6.0.6-i386-CD-1.iso -m 512 -k de -localtime -usb -usbdevice
tablet -name debian -display vnc=192.168.1.1:0 -vga std -no-acpi
-no-fd-bootchk -balloon none -net nic,vlan=0,model=e1000,name=netif_debian
-net tap,vlan=0,name=netif_hosttun1,ifname=tun1,script=no,downscript=no

it is quite long because i had to test many options. the one that makes the
difference on my system is -vga. if i try to start it with -vga cirrus then
qemu segfaults during kernel load of linux. -vga std works fine.
Hope that this may help others.