QEMU + snapshots - pvclock0: unstable result on stable clock

QEMU + snapshots - pvclock0: unstable result on stable clock

Zach Nedwich
Hi all,

I'm running OpenBSD snapshots on QEMU (amd64) via a VPS provider, I
upgraded yesterday and now I'm unable to boot.

The panic is: pvclock0: unstable result on stable clock

Excuse the images as a NoVNC console is the only out-of-band access I have:

[image: 1543825179.png]
[image: 1543825235.png]

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

1543825179.png (36K) Download Attachment
1543825235.png (33K) Download Attachment

Re: QEMU + snapshots - pvclock0: unstable result on stable clock

Reyk Floeter-2
Hi,

thanks for the report.

We’re going to disable pvclock until I found a solution. It seems that old KVMs or KVM on old CPUs report stable support incorrectly.

Do you have a dmesg?

Reyk

> Am 03.12.2018 um 09:26 schrieb Zach Nedwich <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running OpenBSD snapshots on QEMU (amd64) via a VPS provider, I
> upgraded yesterday and now I'm unable to boot.
>
> The panic is: pvclock0: unstable result on stable clock
>
> Excuse the images as a NoVNC console is the only out-of-band access I have:
>

> [image: 1543825179.png]
> [image: 1543825235.png]
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Zach

Re: QEMU + snapshots - pvclock0: unstable result on stable clock

Zach Nedwich
Thanks Reyk,

dmesg from bsd.rd attached, apologies again for the pictures.

[image: 1543831744.png]
[image: 1543831753.png]
[image: 1543831765.png]
[image: 1543831775.png]
[image: 1543831786.png]

Thanks,
Zach

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 8:01 PM Reyk Floeter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the report.
>
> We’re going to disable pvclock until I found a solution. It seems that old
> KVMs or KVM on old CPUs report stable support incorrectly.
>
> Do you have a dmesg?
>
> Reyk
>
> > Am 03.12.2018 um 09:26 schrieb Zach Nedwich <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm running OpenBSD snapshots on QEMU (amd64) via a VPS provider, I
> > upgraded yesterday and now I'm unable to boot.
> >
> > The panic is: pvclock0: unstable result on stable clock
> >
> > Excuse the images as a NoVNC console is the only out-of-band access I
> have:
> >

> > [image: 1543825179.png]
> > [image: 1543825235.png]
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Zach

1543831744.png (23K) Download Attachment
1543831753.png (23K) Download Attachment
1543831765.png (23K) Download Attachment
1543831775.png (25K) Download Attachment
1543831786.png (21K) Download Attachment

Re: QEMU + snapshots - pvclock0: unstable result on stable clock

RD Thrush-6
On 12/3/18 5:00 AM, Reyk Floeter wrote:
> thanks for the report.
>
> We’re going to disable pvclock until I found a solution. It seems that old KVMs or KVM on old CPUs report stable support incorrectly.
>
> Do you have a dmesg?

I mistakenly sent the following to bugs@ and it appears to be greytrapped.

I've attached the serial console output from an older proxmox MP with i386 6.4-release dmesg as well as the install and fail of the recent snapshot.  One additional point I noticed was the console hung after entering 'machine ddbcpu 1' requiring a (simulated) hard reset.

obsd32.tail (20K) Download Attachment