Python versions and dependencies

asmith-4
It seems that a reasonable number of ports are Python dependent upon 2.3 and
will start to build 2.3 as a dependency even if 2.4 is available.
particularly py-Numeric and py-gtk2 is this still intentional or an
oversight?

I notice that ports like Zope are dependent upon 2.4 so I presume if this is
intentional there is no problem (no conflict) with having both 2.3 and 2.4
installed.

Please can someone give me the 'official line' on this?

- Andy

Re: Python versions and dependencies

Nikolay Sturm-2
* Andrew Smith [2006-02-08]:
> particularly py-Numeric and py-gtk2 is this still intentional or an
> oversight?

Intentional, by default our ports depend on python 2.3, they use python
2.4 if there is a reason for it.

> I notice that ports like Zope are dependent upon 2.4 so I presume if
> this is intentional there is no problem (no conflict) with having both
> 2.3 and 2.4 installed.

Yes.

Nikolay

--
"The XFS you see in the kernel is not SGI-XFS but the X Font Server."
some user on [hidden email]

Re: Python versions and dependencies

Toni Mueller-7

Hello,

On Wed, 08.02.2006 at 19:55:19 +0100, Nikolay Sturm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Intentional, by default our ports depend on python 2.3, they use python
> 2.4 if there is a reason for it.

ok, then I'd like to log an error with Zope < 3.0 because this depends
on 2.4 as per port, but is only verified for 2.3 as per the Zope
release managers, and there is even a claim that breakage is likely
when you run Zope 2.x on Python 2.4. See mails by Andreas Jung who
produces the Zope 2.x releases.

Best,
--Toni++

Re: Python versions and dependencies

Nikolay Sturm-2
* Toni Mueller [2006-02-09]:
> ok, then I'd like to log an error with Zope < 3.0 because this depends

That port has a maintainer, talk to him, please.

Nikolay

Re: Python versions and dependencies

Marc Balmer-2

That is _bullshit_.  Sorry....

Re: Python versions and dependencies

Toni Mueller-7

Hello Marc,

On Thu, 09.02.2006 at 20:24:26 +0100, Marc Balmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> me:
> > ok, then I'd like to log an error with Zope < 3.0 because this depends
> > on 2.4 as per port, but is only verified for 2.3 as per the Zope
> > release managers, and there is even a claim that breakage is likely
> > when you run Zope 2.x on Python 2.4. See mails by Andreas Jung who
> > produces the Zope 2.x releases.
>
> That is _bullshit_.  Sorry....

would you care to elaborate?

I have a quote from him, and I have also learned that it's usually
_not_ wise to try to override such dependencies, esp. not with Zope.

We discussed that before and also didn't reach any consensus. Ok, maybe
I should have writen < 2.9 instead of < 3.0, but that's about it, isn't
it?

Like eg. this (seeing that 2.8.4 is still head in CVS):

http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.8.5/Zope-2_8_5-released

Quote: " At this time the only supported and recommended Python
versions are 2.3.4 and 2.3.5.

Using Python 2.4.X is not supported and not recommended at this time.
Python 2.4.X will be supported when a security audit took place. This
means that you are using Python 2.4 + Zope 2.8 at your own risk."

You also get slapped heavily when asking for help and saying that you
run Zope 2.8 on Python 2.4 on the dzug.org mailing list (I didn't...).

Best,
--Toni++