Promoting OpenBSD on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Promoting OpenBSD on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
Hi,

I'm quite active on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site
(https://unix.stackexchange.com/).  They are currently asking for
"Community Promotion Ads"
(https://unix.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/4765/community-promotion-ads-2018)
and since I'm fairly fond of OpenBSD I thought I'd add an OpenBSD ad
there.  These ads will show up in the sidebar of the main U&L site.

However, I thought I'd ask here before I do, just to be sure I'm not
doing anything stupid or legally wrong.  If ok, I wonder if there's a
verison-agnostic image that I could use (like the one on the OpenBSD
Wikipedia page maybe?).

I do not personally gain in any way from doing this.

Regards,

--
Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri,
National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS),
Uppsala University, Sweden.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promoting OpenBSD on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site

Tom Smyth
I think it is positive :) ...

Im for it all the way :)  the more people know about OpenBSD the Better


On 6 February 2018 at 13:11, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm quite active on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site
> (https://unix.stackexchange.com/).  They are currently asking for
> "Community Promotion Ads"
> (https://unix.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/4765/community-promotion-ads-2018)
> and since I'm fairly fond of OpenBSD I thought I'd add an OpenBSD ad
> there.  These ads will show up in the sidebar of the main U&L site.
>
> However, I thought I'd ask here before I do, just to be sure I'm not
> doing anything stupid or legally wrong.  If ok, I wonder if there's a
> verison-agnostic image that I could use (like the one on the OpenBSD
> Wikipedia page maybe?).
>
> I do not personally gain in any way from doing this.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri,
> National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS),
> Uppsala University, Sweden.
>



--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth

Mobile: +353 87 6193172
The information contained in this E-mail is intended only for the
confidential use of the named recipient. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering it to the recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this communication in error and that any review,
dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this in error, please notify the sender
immediately by telephone at the number above and erase the message
You are requested to carry out your own virus check before
opening any attachment.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promoting OpenBSD on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site

Ingo Schwarze
In reply to this post by Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
Hi,

Andreas Kusalananda Kaehaeri wrote on Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 02:11:54PM +0100:

> I'm quite active on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site
> (https://unix.stackexchange.com/).  They are currently asking for
> "Community Promotion Ads"
> (https://unix.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/4765/community-promotion-ads-2018)
> and since I'm fairly fond of OpenBSD I thought I'd add an OpenBSD ad
> there.  These ads will show up in the sidebar of the main U&L site.
>
> However, I thought I'd ask here before I do, just to be sure I'm not
> doing anything stupid or legally wrong.

Doing classical marketing - in the sense of showing self-promoting
information to people who never asked for it, either independent
of context or based on nothing but AI decisions about context -
feels wrong in principle to me.  I consider it disrespectful in
general.  The fact that it is becoming more pervasive and harder
to avoid today than it used to be a century ago, or even a decade
ago, only reinforces the point IMHO.

That is my personal opinion.  I'm not quite sure how other developers
feel; likely opinions vary.  But i can hardly remember such questions
ever being explicitly discussed.  There is kind of an unspoken
consensus that developers don't do marketing and that there is no
interest in having non-developers do marketing.

Personally, i wouldn't very strongly oppose the specific thing you
want to do, but i am not really in favour of it either.  It doesn't
seem legally wrong, it seems to me it would be covered by what is
said on the page linked below.

Finally, note that mentioning OpenBSD and OpenBSD-related projects
in specific contexts where they can actually help with problems or
tasks that people are talking about is certainly very welcome.  It's
just that ads for OpenBSD feel somewhat weird - they might make
OpenBSD look like a commercial project, or incite other misperceptions
about what the point of OpenBSD is.

It is most definitely not the goal of OpenBSD to have as many users
as possible.  Some goals are to be as simple, functional, and secure
as possible.  That's a quite different thing!  The normal goal of
marketing is to get as many people as possible to buy or use
something, even among those who would actually be happier with or
better served by something else.  Maybe that's why i feel hesitant
about your idea.

> If ok, I wonder if there's a verison-agnostic image that I could
> use (like the one on the OpenBSD Wikipedia page maybe?).

https://www.openbsd.org/art4.html

> I do not personally gain in any way from doing this.

Yours,
  Ingo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promoting OpenBSD on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2018-02-06, Ingo Schwarze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Andreas Kusalananda Kaehaeri wrote on Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 02:11:54PM +0100:
>
>> I'm quite active on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site
>> (https://unix.stackexchange.com/).  They are currently asking for
>> "Community Promotion Ads"
>> (https://unix.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/4765/community-promotion-ads-2018)
>> and since I'm fairly fond of OpenBSD I thought I'd add an OpenBSD ad
>> there.  These ads will show up in the sidebar of the main U&L site.
>>
>> However, I thought I'd ask here before I do, just to be sure I'm not
>> doing anything stupid or legally wrong.
>
> Doing classical marketing - in the sense of showing self-promoting
> information to people who never asked for it, either independent
> of context or based on nothing but AI decisions about context -
> feels wrong in principle to me.  I consider it disrespectful in
> general.  The fact that it is becoming more pervasive and harder
> to avoid today than it used to be a century ago, or even a decade
> ago, only reinforces the point IMHO.
>
> That is my personal opinion.  I'm not quite sure how other developers
> feel; likely opinions vary.  But i can hardly remember such questions
> ever being explicitly discussed.  There is kind of an unspoken
> consensus that developers don't do marketing and that there is no
> interest in having non-developers do marketing.
>
> Personally, i wouldn't very strongly oppose the specific thing you
> want to do, but i am not really in favour of it either.  It doesn't
> seem legally wrong, it seems to me it would be covered by what is
> said on the page linked below.
>
> Finally, note that mentioning OpenBSD and OpenBSD-related projects
> in specific contexts where they can actually help with problems or
> tasks that people are talking about is certainly very welcome.  It's
> just that ads for OpenBSD feel somewhat weird - they might make
> OpenBSD look like a commercial project, or incite other misperceptions
> about what the point of OpenBSD is.
>
> It is most definitely not the goal of OpenBSD to have as many users
> as possible.  Some goals are to be as simple, functional, and secure
> as possible.  That's a quite different thing!  The normal goal of
> marketing is to get as many people as possible to buy or use
> something, even among those who would actually be happier with or
> better served by something else.  Maybe that's why i feel hesitant
> about your idea.
>
>> If ok, I wonder if there's a verison-agnostic image that I could
>> use (like the one on the OpenBSD Wikipedia page maybe?).
>
> https://www.openbsd.org/art4.html
>
>> I do not personally gain in any way from doing this.
>
> Yours,
>   Ingo
>
>

Well said on all counts, I totally agree.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promoting OpenBSD on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 02:28:15PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2018-02-06, Ingo Schwarze <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Andreas Kusalananda Kaehaeri wrote on Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 02:11:54PM +0100:
> >
> >> I'm quite active on the Unix & Linux Stack Exchange site
> >> (https://unix.stackexchange.com/).  They are currently asking for
> >> "Community Promotion Ads"
> >> (https://unix.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/4765/community-promotion-ads-2018)
> >> and since I'm fairly fond of OpenBSD I thought I'd add an OpenBSD ad
> >> there.  These ads will show up in the sidebar of the main U&L site.
> >>
> >> However, I thought I'd ask here before I do, just to be sure I'm not
> >> doing anything stupid or legally wrong.
> >
> > Doing classical marketing - in the sense of showing self-promoting
> > information to people who never asked for it, either independent
> > of context or based on nothing but AI decisions about context -
> > feels wrong in principle to me.  I consider it disrespectful in
> > general.  The fact that it is becoming more pervasive and harder
> > to avoid today than it used to be a century ago, or even a decade
> > ago, only reinforces the point IMHO.
> >
> > That is my personal opinion.  I'm not quite sure how other developers
> > feel; likely opinions vary.  But i can hardly remember such questions
> > ever being explicitly discussed.  There is kind of an unspoken
> > consensus that developers don't do marketing and that there is no
> > interest in having non-developers do marketing.
> >
> > Personally, i wouldn't very strongly oppose the specific thing you
> > want to do, but i am not really in favour of it either.  It doesn't
> > seem legally wrong, it seems to me it would be covered by what is
> > said on the page linked below.
> >
> > Finally, note that mentioning OpenBSD and OpenBSD-related projects
> > in specific contexts where they can actually help with problems or
> > tasks that people are talking about is certainly very welcome.  It's
> > just that ads for OpenBSD feel somewhat weird - they might make
> > OpenBSD look like a commercial project, or incite other misperceptions
> > about what the point of OpenBSD is.
> >
> > It is most definitely not the goal of OpenBSD to have as many users
> > as possible.  Some goals are to be as simple, functional, and secure
> > as possible.  That's a quite different thing!  The normal goal of
> > marketing is to get as many people as possible to buy or use
> > something, even among those who would actually be happier with or
> > better served by something else.  Maybe that's why i feel hesitant
> > about your idea.
> >
> >> If ok, I wonder if there's a verison-agnostic image that I could
> >> use (like the one on the OpenBSD Wikipedia page maybe?).
> >
> > https://www.openbsd.org/art4.html
> >
> >> I do not personally gain in any way from doing this.
> >
> > Yours,
> >   Ingo
> >
> >
>
> Well said on all counts, I totally agree.
>

I appreciate the quick response, and the clear outlining of your
thoughts on this matter (Ingo).

I definitely understand this standpoint, and I agree. I will not do
this.

I'm happy I asked.

Thanks,

--
Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri,
National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS),
Uppsala University, Sweden.