Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Nils Reuße-4
Hi there,

i got a new board (ASRock J3455-ITX) that's based intels apollo lake
SoC.  I've updated the bios to the latest version (1.4) and all things i
need are supported by openbsd out of the box on 6.2-current, except for
the graphic chip, an integrated Intel HD Graphics 500 chip.

Unfortunately, when i boot the system, the screen goes black very soon
(after the cpu info scrolls by) and then it never fully boots (login via
ssh is not possible), so i cannot see or check what's wrong.

If i disable inteldrm on boot, the system boots, ssh works and i can use
the system.  Trying to start X fails however.

As i intend to use the system as a headless server, i do not really care
if the card really works, but i'd like to be able to boot the system
without disabling inteldrm every time.

This is the firmware i've currently installed:

   $ doas fw_update -i
   Installed: intel-firmware-20180108

The graphics card shows as

   vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5a85
rev 0x0b

Is anyone else here using this board, or is this error due to some
changes in the recent snapshots? Any help is appreciated.

I've only found a dmesg for the 'biger brother' ASRock J4205 (HD
Graphics 505) from october, where the system recognized the graphics
card (https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=150970512103946&w=2):

   inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product
0x5a84 rev 0x0b
   drm0 at inteldrm0
   inteldrm0: msi
   error: [drm:pid0:i915_firmware_load_error_print] *ERROR* failed to
load firmware i915/bxt_dmc_ver1.bin (-22)
   error: [drm:pid0:i915_gem_init_hw] *ERROR* Failed to initialize GuC,
error -8 (ignored)
   inteldrm0: 1920x1080, 32bpp

dmesg from my system is attached.

Best regards
Nils

dmesg.boot (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Theo de Raadt-2
> This is the firmware i've currently installed:
>
>    $ doas fw_update -i
>    Installed: intel-firmware-20180108

That has nothing to do with:

>    error: [drm:pid0:i915_firmware_load_error_print] *ERROR* failed to
> load firmware i915/bxt_dmc_ver1.bin (-22)

I recognize something doesn't work.

But you are making an assumption which isn't warranted.

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Eric Furman-3
On Sun, Jan 14, 2018, at 12:53 PM, Nils Reuße wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> i got a new board (ASRock J3455-ITX) that's based intels apollo lake
> SoC.  I've updated the bios to the latest version (1.4) and all things i
> need are supported by openbsd out of the box on 6.2-current, except for
> the graphic chip, an integrated Intel HD Graphics 500 chip.
>
> Unfortunately, when i boot the system, the screen goes black very soon
> (after the cpu info scrolls by) and then it never fully boots (login via
> ssh is not possible), so i cannot see or check what's wrong.
>
> If i disable inteldrm on boot, the system boots, ssh works and i can use
> the system.  Trying to start X fails however.
>
> As i intend to use the system as a headless server, i do not really care
> if the card really works, but i'd like to be able to boot the system
> without disabling inteldrm every time.
>
> This is the firmware i've currently installed:
>
>    $ doas fw_update -i
>    Installed: intel-firmware-20180108
>
> The graphics card shows as
>
>    vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5a85
> rev 0x0b
>
> Is anyone else here using this board, or is this error due to some
> changes in the recent snapshots? Any help is appreciated.

This is not an OBSD specific problem.
Intel integrated graphics is crap.
They cause problems for a lot of people.
Do yourself a favor and disable the integrated graphics
and get yourself any cheap graphics card.
Preferably AMD based.

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Chris Schultz

> On Jan 14, 2018, at 12:32, Eric Furman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018, at 12:53 PM, Nils Reuße wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> i got a new board (ASRock J3455-ITX) that's based intels apollo lake
>> SoC.  I've updated the bios to the latest version (1.4) and all things i
>> need are supported by openbsd out of the box on 6.2-current, except for
>> the graphic chip, an integrated Intel HD Graphics 500 chip.
>>
>> Unfortunately, when i boot the system, the screen goes black very soon
>> (after the cpu info scrolls by) and then it never fully boots (login via
>> ssh is not possible), so i cannot see or check what's wrong.
>>
>> If i disable inteldrm on boot, the system boots, ssh works and i can use
>> the system.  Trying to start X fails however.
>>
>> As i intend to use the system as a headless server, i do not really care
>> if the card really works, but i'd like to be able to boot the system
>> without disabling inteldrm every time.
>>
>> This is the firmware i've currently installed:
>>
>>   $ doas fw_update -i
>>   Installed: intel-firmware-20180108
>>
>> The graphics card shows as
>>
>>   vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5a85
>> rev 0x0b
>>
>> Is anyone else here using this board, or is this error due to some
>> changes in the recent snapshots? Any help is appreciated.
>
> This is not an OBSD specific problem.
> Intel integrated graphics is crap.
> They cause problems for a lot of people.
> Do yourself a favor and disable the integrated graphics
> and get yourself any cheap graphics card.
> Preferably AMD based.

I have the same motherboard running the 2018-01-06 snapshot just fine, albeit without inteldrm installed (according to fw_update -i).

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Joseph Borg
for all it’s worth I got a Gigabyte GA-J3455N-D3H. Had more luck installing amd64. However I don’t need X on that system and didn’t install it. Screen works well though. Its dmesg still shows the same errors as yours.

Have an old GA-J1900 board that blanks out during boot and can only be accessed over ssh. This one was working properly until at least openbsd i386/6.0. Again, I don’t use X so cannot confirm if it runs.

regards

> On 14 Jan 2018, at 18:53, Nils Reuße <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> i got a new board (ASRock J3455-ITX) that's based intels apollo lake SoC.  I've updated the bios to the latest version (1.4) and all things i need are supported by openbsd out of the box on 6.2-current, except for the graphic chip, an integrated Intel HD Graphics 500 chip.
>
> Unfortunately, when i boot the system, the screen goes black very soon (after the cpu info scrolls by) and then it never fully boots (login via ssh is not possible), so i cannot see or check what's wrong.
>
> If i disable inteldrm on boot, the system boots, ssh works and i can use the system.  Trying to start X fails however.
>
> As i intend to use the system as a headless server, i do not really care if the card really works, but i'd like to be able to boot the system without disabling inteldrm every time.
>
> This is the firmware i've currently installed:
>
>  $ doas fw_update -i
>  Installed: intel-firmware-20180108
>
> The graphics card shows as
>
>  vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5a85 rev 0x0b
>
> Is anyone else here using this board, or is this error due to some changes in the recent snapshots? Any help is appreciated.
>

> I've only found a dmesg for the 'biger brother' ASRock J4205 (HD Graphics 505) from october, where the system recognized the graphics card (https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=150970512103946&w=2):
>
>  inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5a84 rev 0x0b
>  drm0 at inteldrm0
>  inteldrm0: msi
>  error: [drm:pid0:i915_firmware_load_error_print] *ERROR* failed to load firmware i915/bxt_dmc_ver1.bin (-22)
>  error: [drm:pid0:i915_gem_init_hw] *ERROR* Failed to initialize GuC, error -8 (ignored)
>  inteldrm0: 1920x1080, 32bpp
>

> dmesg from my system is attached.
>
> Best regards
> Nils
> <dmesg.boot>

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Joseph Borg
This is the relevant bit from the dmesg on the J1900 board running amd64/6.2 stable:

pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Bay Trail Host" rev 0x0e
inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel Bay Trail Video" rev 0x0e
drm0 at inteldrm0
inteldrm0: msi
EDID block is all zeroes
drm:pid0:drm_do_get_edid *WARNING* HDMI-A-: EDID block 0 invalid.
inteldrm0: 1024x768, 32bpp
wsdisplay0 at inteldrm0 mux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)
ahci0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "Intel Bay Trail AHCI" rev 0x0e: msi, AHCI 1.3
ahci0: port 0: 3.0Gb/s
ahci0: port 1: 1.5Gb/s
scsibus1 at ahci0: 32 targets

On 01/14/2018 08:54 PM, Chris Schultz wrote:

>> On Jan 14, 2018, at 12:32, Eric Furman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018, at 12:53 PM, Nils Reuße wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> i got a new board (ASRock J3455-ITX) that's based intels apollo lake
>>> SoC.  I've updated the bios to the latest version (1.4) and all things i
>>> need are supported by openbsd out of the box on 6.2-current, except for
>>> the graphic chip, an integrated Intel HD Graphics 500 chip.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, when i boot the system, the screen goes black very soon
>>> (after the cpu info scrolls by) and then it never fully boots (login via
>>> ssh is not possible), so i cannot see or check what's wrong.
>>>
>>> If i disable inteldrm on boot, the system boots, ssh works and i can use
>>> the system.  Trying to start X fails however.
>>>
>>> As i intend to use the system as a headless server, i do not really care
>>> if the card really works, but i'd like to be able to boot the system
>>> without disabling inteldrm every time.
>>>
>>> This is the firmware i've currently installed:
>>>
>>>    $ doas fw_update -i
>>>    Installed: intel-firmware-20180108
>>>
>>> The graphics card shows as
>>>
>>>    vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5a85
>>> rev 0x0b
>>>
>>> Is anyone else here using this board, or is this error due to some
>>> changes in the recent snapshots? Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> This is not an OBSD specific problem.
>> Intel integrated graphics is crap.
>> They cause problems for a lot of people.
>> Do yourself a favor and disable the integrated graphics
>> and get yourself any cheap graphics card.
>> Preferably AMD based.
>>

> I have the same motherboard running the 2018-01-06 snapshot just fine, albeit without inteldrm installed (according to fw_update -i).

Hi Eric,

that sounds great!  Would you mind sharing your dmesg?  Do you use the
UEFI or the compatibility mode?  Did you make specific changes in the bios?

Nils

On 2018-01-14, Eric Furman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Intel integrated graphics is crap.
> They cause problems for a lot of people.

I can't say about that particular model, but Intel integrated graphics
works pretty well for a lot of people using OpenBSD.

> Do yourself a favor and disable the integrated graphics
> and get yourself any cheap graphics card.
> Preferably AMD based.

Comments like that are best accompanied with a suggestion of some device
known to work. There are lots of AMD-based graphics cards and it's not
obvious which will work nicely on OpenBSD and which won't.

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Nils Reuße-4
Hi all,

I'm still investigating the issue, and while reading the motherboards handbook, i noticed that it has a COM1 connection port.  I've never done anything over serial, but if i understand the FAQ correctly, i could attach an adapter and get the boot messages over the serial console, and if there is a kernel panic even play around in ddb.

Is that correct, and would i need any (other) hardware than the ones listed below? (sorry for german amazon)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0015S32W4/
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00QUZY4UG/

Nils

Re : Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Eric Huiban
The rs232 braket and the usb adapter seem good to be used acording to
your purpose

Regards,
Eric.

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (Nils Reu??e), 2018.01.16 (Tue) 16:29 (CET):

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still investigating the issue, and while reading the motherboards
> handbook, i noticed that it has a COM1 connection port.  I've never
> done anything over serial, but if i understand the FAQ correctly, i
> could attach an adapter and get the boot messages over the serial
> console, and if there is a kernel panic even play around in ddb.
>
> Is that correct, and would i need any (other) hardware than the ones
> listed below? (sorry for german amazon)
>
> https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0015S32W4/
> https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00QUZY4UG/

if it has the chip it says it has ("mit PL2303 Chipsatz") then:

uplcom(4) - Prolific PL-2303 USB serial adapter

Marcus

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Reshey
I am writing this from OpenBSD 6.2 apollo Lake, J4205 cpu. Intel drm works.
But crash if I exit x, and then run startx again.

penBSD 6.2 (GENERIC.MP) #2: Sun Dec 10 21:14:42 CET 2017
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/
GENERIC.MP
real mem = 8209797120 (7829MB)
avail mem = 7953960960 (7585MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 3.0 @ 0xed450 (18 entries)
bios0: vendor American Megatrends Inc. version "P1.40" date 07/14/2017
bios0: ASRock J3455-ITX
acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
acpi0: sleep states S0 S3 S4 S5
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP FPDT FIDT MCFG DBG2 DBGP HPET LPIT APIC NPKT PRAM
WSMT SSDT SSDT AAFT SSDT SSDT SSDT SSDT SSDT UEFI TPM2 BERT WDAT NHLT
acpi0: wakeup devices SIO1(S3) UAR1(S4) HDAS(S3) XHC_(S4) XDCI(S4) BRCM(S0)
PXSX(S4) RP01(S4) PXSX(S4) RP02(S4) PXSX(S4) RP03(S4) PXSX(S4) RP04(S4)
PXSX(S4) RP05(S4) [...]
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 32 bits
acpimcfg0 at acpi0 addr 0xe0000000, bus 0-255
acpihpet0 at acpi0: 19200000 Hz
acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz, 1497.60 MHz
cpu0:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,3DNOWP,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,SMEP,ERMS,MPX,RDSEED,SMAP,CLFLUSHOPT,PT,SHA,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu0: 1MB 64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu0: TSC frequency 1497600000 Hz
cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 10 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: apic clock running at 19MHz
cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=0.2.0.2.4.2.1.1, IBE
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 2 (application processor)
cpu1: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz, 1497.60 MHz
cpu1:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,3DNOWP,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,SMEP,ERMS,MPX,RDSEED,SMAP,CLFLUSHOPT,PT,SHA,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu1: 1MB 64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu1: smt 0, core 1, package 0
cpu2 at mainbus0: apid 4 (application processor)
cpu2: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz, 1497.60 MHz
cpu2:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,3DNOWP,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,SMEP,ERMS,MPX,RDSEED,SMAP,CLFLUSHOPT,PT,SHA,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu2: 1MB 64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu2: smt 0, core 2, package 0
cpu3 at mainbus0: apid 6 (application processor)
cpu3: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz, 1497.60 MHz
cpu3:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,3DNOWP,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,SMEP,ERMS,MPX,RDSEED,SMAP,CLFLUSHOPT,PT,SHA,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu3: 1MB 64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu3: smt 0, core 3, package 0
ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 1 pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 120 pins
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus 1 (RP03)
acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 2 (RP04)
acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus 3 (RP05)
acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus 4 (RP06)
acpiec0 at acpi0: not present
acpicpu0 at acpi0: C3(10@150 mwait.1@0x60), C2(10@50 mwait.1@0x21),
C1(1000@1 mwait.1@0x1), PSS
acpicpu1 at acpi0: C3(10@150 mwait.1@0x60), C2(10@50 mwait.1@0x21),
C1(1000@1 mwait.1@0x1), PSS
acpicpu2 at acpi0: C3(10@150 mwait.1@0x60), C2(10@50 mwait.1@0x21),
C1(1000@1 mwait.1@0x1), PSS
acpicpu3 at acpi0: C3(10@150 mwait.1@0x60), C2(10@50 mwait.1@0x21),
C1(1000@1 mwait.1@0x1), PSS
acpipwrres0 at acpi0: FN00, resource for FAN0
acpitz0 at acpi0: critical temperature is 100 degC
acpibtn0 at acpi0: PWRB
"INT3452" at acpi0 not configured
"INT3452" at acpi0 not configured
"INT3452" at acpi0 not configured
"INT3452" at acpi0 not configured
"INT33A1" at acpi0 not configured
"MSFT0101" at acpi0 not configured
"PNP0C0B" at acpi0 not configured
acpivideo0 at acpi0: GFX0
acpivout0 at acpivideo0: DD1F
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep 1497 MHz: speeds: 1501, 1500, 1400, 1300, 1200,
1100, 1000, 900, 800 MHz
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5af0 rev
0x0b
inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5a85
rev 0x0b
drm0 at inteldrm0
inteldrm0: msi
error: [drm:pid0:i915_firmware_load_error_print] *ERROR* failed to load
firmware i915/bxt_dmc_ver1.bin (-22)
error: [drm:pid0:i915_gem_init_hw] *ERROR* Failed to initialize GuC, error
-8 (ignored)
inteldrm0: 1920x1080, 32bpp
wsdisplay0 at inteldrm0 mux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 7:05 PM, Marcus MERIGHI <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [hidden email] (Nils Reu??e), 2018.01.16 (Tue) 16:29 (CET):
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm still investigating the issue, and while reading the motherboards
> > handbook, i noticed that it has a COM1 connection port.  I've never
> > done anything over serial, but if i understand the FAQ correctly, i
> > could attach an adapter and get the boot messages over the serial
> > console, and if there is a kernel panic even play around in ddb.
> >
> > Is that correct, and would i need any (other) hardware than the ones
> > listed below? (sorry for german amazon)
> >
> > https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0015S32W4/
> > https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00QUZY4UG/
>
> if it has the chip it says it has ("mit PL2303 Chipsatz") then:
>
> uplcom(4) - Prolific PL-2303 USB serial adapter
>
> Marcus

Re: Problems with inteldrm on ASRock J3455-ITX (Apollo Lake)

Nils Reuße-4
Hi all,

with the help of Chris i finally got it working and i'm happily writing this email from X!  I broke it down to these two settings one has to change in the UEFI:

* Disable c-states and enable legacy BIOS:

  - Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> CPU C States Support => Disable
  - Boot -> CSM => Enable

Also, i had to connect my monitor with VGA, with DVI the screen goes black when the graphics card gets initialized (did not try HDMI).

I'm a bit confused about the xrandr output, there's no VGA and no DVI, but eDP and DP, and also two HDMI connectors shown, even though the board only has one.  Could this be firmware—related?  Anyway, it works:

$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 8192 x 8192
eDP-1 connected primary 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 474mm x 296mm
   1680x1050     59.88*+
   1400x1050     59.98
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02
   1280x960      60.00
   1152x864      75.00
   1024x768      60.04    75.08    75.03    70.07    60.00
   960x720       60.00
   928x696       75.00    60.05
   896x672       75.05    60.01
   832x624       74.55
   800x600       75.00    70.00    65.00    60.00    72.19    75.00    60.32    56.25
   700x525       74.76    59.98
   640x512       75.02    60.02
   640x480       60.00    75.00    72.81    72.81    75.00    66.67    60.00    59.94
   720x400       70.08
   576x432       75.00
   512x384       75.03    70.07    60.00
   416x312       74.66
   400x300       72.19    75.12    60.32    56.34
   320x240       72.81    75.00    60.05
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Here's an excerpt from dmesg for drm (full dmesg attached):

$ dmesg | grep -i drm
inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x5a85 rev 0x0b
drm0 at inteldrm0
inteldrm0: msi
error: [drm:pid0:i915_firmware_load_error_print] *ERROR* failed to load firmware i915/bxt_dmc_ver1.bin (-22)
error: [drm:pid0:i915_gem_init_hw] *ERROR* Failed to initialize GuC, error -8 (ignored)
inteldrm0: 1680x1050, 32bpp
wsdisplay0 at inteldrm0 mux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation)
error: [drm:pid51995:intel_pipe_update_start] *ERROR* Potential atomic update failure on pipe A

I can quit from cwm to console and restart X as much as i like, it does not crash X.

Thanks to all of you who replied and especially to Chris for his time!

Nils

dmesg_j3455-itx.txt (11K) Download Attachment