Problems with installation OpenBSD 4.4

canavar
Good day.

I have a little problem with installing OpenBSD 4.4 on my computer.
I have successfully booted from cdrom drive and created drive partitions.
I get problem when I want to install sets. I am choose to install
bsd, bsd.rd, base44.tgz, etc44.tgz, misc44.tgz, comp44.tgz,
man44.tgz, game44.tgz. After openbsd installer has got all this sets
it does nothing.

It looks like this:

Getting bsd...
100% |********| 6700 KB 00:04
Getting game44.tgz ...
100% |********| 2552 KB 00:00

And after that openbsd doesn't do anything... It stops..
The only way is to reboot system...

I think it is problems with sata drive..

Can you help me?

WBR, Ozerov Vasiliy aka fr33man.

Re: Problems with installation OpenBSD 4.4

canavar
There are all sets:

bsd, bsd.rd, base, game, and others...
And they all are readable.

WBR, Ozerov Vasiliy aka fr33man.

Re: Problems with installation OpenBSD 4.4

Jacek Artymiak (devGuide.net)
On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:45 PM, wASILIJ oZEROW <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are all sets:
>
> bsd, bsd.rd, base, game, and others...
> And they all are readable.
>
> --
> WBR, Ozerov Vasiliy aka fr33man.

The first thing I'd do is check the cable that connects the
motherboard to the disk. I had a similar problem just two weeks ago.

--
Jacek Artymiak
http://devGuide.net

Installing OpenBSD 4.4 Webinar (web seminar)
http://www.devguide.net/training/webinars/openbsd001

vi(1) Tips: Essential vi/vim Editor Skills, 1st ed.
http://www.devguide.net/books/vitips1

Re: Problems with installation OpenBSD 4.4

canavar
Ok. Thanks a lot!

I was installing sets from cd.
And I have just successfully installed it from
ftp server.

Thanks a lot for responses.

WBR, Ozerov Vasiliy aka fr33man.

Re: Problems with installation OpenBSD 4.4

Jesus Sanchez
Install from FTP doesn't seems to solve the problem of the cdrom,
did you checked de motherboard cable as Jacek said?

PP0QP8P;P8P9 PP7P5QP>P2 escribiC3:
> Ok. Thanks a lot!
>
> I was installing sets from cd.
> And I have just successfully installed it from
> ftp server.
>
> Thanks a lot for responses.

Re: Problems with installation OpenBSD 4.4

J.C. Roberts-3
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:19:54 +0300 "PP0QP8P;P8P9 PP7P5QP>P2" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I have a little problem with installing OpenBSD 4.4 on my computer.
> I have successfully booted from cdrom drive and created drive
> partitions. I get problem when I want to install sets. I am choose to
> install bsd, bsd.rd, base44.tgz, etc44.tgz, misc44.tgz, comp44.tgz,
> man44.tgz, game44.tgz. After openbsd installer has got all this sets
> it does nothing.
>
> It looks like this:
>
> Getting bsd...
> 100% |********| 6700 KB 00:04
> Getting game44.tgz ...
> 100% |********| 2552 KB 00:00
>
> And after that openbsd doesn't do anything... It stops..
> The only way is to reboot system...
>
> I think it is problems with sata drive..
>
> Can you help me?
>
> --
> WBR, Ozerov Vasiliy aka fr33man.

Your problem with hanging when installing sets is strangely similar to
what was described by Chris last week in message:

From: Chris <atstake<_AT_>gmail.com>
To: misc <[hidden email]>
Subject: 4.4 installation on a large disk
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 03:35:54 -0800

In both your situation and his, the install hung at the same point.

Later in this thread, you said you managed to successfully install via
FTP, even though installing from CD failed. If by some chance both you
and Chris are fighting the same problem, and the same solution works
for both of you, we then have two possibities:

        1.) There's something wrong with the CD-ROM media.
        2.) There's something strange about your CD-ROM drive.

A few years ago we did have an install media problem with a release, but
before we blindly blame the media, it would be best to test the CD
again with another machine. Scratches, fingerprints and other problems
caused by poor handling of the disc could be to blame.

Another possibility is a problematic CD-ROM drive, or a problem between
the CD-ROM drive and chipset/driver.

Could both you and Chris post a dmesg, and provide details about your
CD-ROM drive?

--
J.C. Roberts