Problems using intel driver on i386 laptop i915

Problems using intel driver on i386 laptop i915

Marko Saarela
Hi list,

Eager to test the new intel driver in tree I went and compiled current
on the other day. However I was unable to get X start at all with the
new intel driver. i810 driver seems to work fine still though. Is this
driver supposed to work yet on 915 series on OpenBSD or am I being to hasty?

I'm using OpenBSD i386 on Dell Latitude D410. Dmesg and X.org logs from
both drivers follow.

- Marko

http://www.saunalahti.fi/masaare/dmesg

http://www.saunalahti.fi/masaare/X.org.log.i810

http://www.saunalahti.fi/masaare/X.org.log.intel

Re: Problems using intel driver on i386 laptop i915

Matthieu Herrb
Marko Saarela wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Eager to test the new intel driver in tree I went and compiled current
> on the other day. However I was unable to get X start at all with the
> new intel driver. i810 driver seems to work fine still though.

Apparently from your logs, you didn't follow the instruction from the
FAQ on following -current, and did't create /dev/agp0.

> Is this
> driver supposed to work yet on 915 series on OpenBSD or am I being to
> hasty?

Yes, it is, but apparently it doesn't cope with a missing agp device as
well as the i810 driver. These kind of annoying behaviours explain why
we are keeping the old i810 driver for now on i386.

> I'm using OpenBSD i386 on Dell Latitude D410. Dmesg and X.org logs from
> both drivers follow.

Please check <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html#20071128> and try
again.
Matthieu Herrb

On Dec 29, 2007 12:08 AM, Matthieu Herrb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Eager to test the new intel driver in tree I went and compiled current
> > on the other day. However I was unable to get X start at all with the
> > new intel driver. i810 driver seems to work fine still though.
>
> Apparently from your logs, you didn't follow the instruction from the
> FAQ on following -current, and did't create /dev/agp0.
>
> Please check <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html#20071128> and try
> again.

Ahem, *blushes*. It seems rushing to test new stuff makes you forget
the basics. My apologies. The intel driver seems to work fine after
creating the new agp device (brings X up, youtube flash videos and
videos played with mplayer work).

Thanks for you help!

 - Marko