Problems netbooting OpenBSD

Adrian Christiansen
Hi guys!,

I'm trying to install OpenBSD on my SPARCstation IPX, from a PC
running OpenBSD/i386 5.8-current as of Sunday. When I got the SUN the
PROM was dead so I've piggy backed a new battery and a new MAC have
been set. Before attempting to install OpenBSD the machine was
installed with NetBSD over the network from a PC running Debian, using
tftpd-hpa, rarpd and the kernel nfs-server.

It seems like the IP 10.0.0.10 is set OK via rarp, based on that the
file 0A00000A.SUN4C is being requested. However that seems to be as
far as it gets. After this it is in an endless loop sending a new
request over and over. tftpd sends the first block of boot.net binary,
doesn't get a response and tries this five times before the SUN gives
up and sends a new request. If I tftp localhost I can get the
0A00000A.SUN4C file without any issues.

The PC's NIC dc0 is set to: 10.0.0.1, 255.255.255.0, 10.0.0.255.

I've attached the output from OpenBoot, rarpd, tftpd and tcpdump
bellow. Please let me know if I'm missing some output that would help
you guys.

Cheers!,
Adrian.

SPARCstation IPX, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.9, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #12648430.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:c0:ff:ee, Host ID: 57c0ffee.

ok boot net
Boot device: /sbus/le@0,c00000   File and args:

$ ls -lah /tftpboot/0A00000A.SUN4C
-rw-r--r--  1 _tftpd  wheel  61.5K Aug 15 13:29 /tftpboot/0A00000A.SUN4C
(tried this with root as the owner too)

# rarpd -d dc0
dc0: 0:10:a4:f2:ae:7e
        10.0.0.1
rarpd: got a packet
rarpd: 08:00:20:c0:ff:ee
rarpd: reply sent

# tftpd -d /tftpboot
tftpd: 10.0.0.10: read request for '0A00000A.SUN4C'
tftpd: 10.0.0.10: retry: Operation timed out

# tcpdump -i dc0
23:26:03.976460 sparky.20641 > 0.0.0.0.tftp: 23 RRQ "0A00000A.SUN4C"
23:26:03.977278 10.0.0.1.18880 > sparky.20641: udp 516
23:26:04.024312 10.0.0.1.19836 > sparky.20641: udp 516
23:26:04.994383 10.0.0.1.26667 > sparky.20641: udp 516
23:26:06.004430 10.0.0.1.46171 > sparky.20641: udp 516
23:26:07.014476 10.0.0.1.25160 > sparky.20641: udp 516

Just to be sure nothing was being blocked I switched pf off abd tested
everything again, with the same output:
# pfctl -d

Re: Problems netbooting OpenBSD

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2015/12/02 00:00, Adrian Christiansen wrote:

> Hi guys!,
>
> I'm trying to install OpenBSD on my SPARCstation IPX, from a PC
> running OpenBSD/i386 5.8-current as of Sunday. When I got the SUN the
> PROM was dead so I've piggy backed a new battery and a new MAC have
> been set. Before attempting to install OpenBSD the machine was
> installed with NetBSD over the network from a PC running Debian, using
> tftpd-hpa, rarpd and the kernel nfs-server.
>
> It seems like the IP 10.0.0.10 is set OK via rarp, based on that the
> file 0A00000A.SUN4C is being requested. However that seems to be as
> far as it gets. After this it is in an endless loop sending a new
> request over and over. tftpd sends the first block of boot.net binary,
> doesn't get a response and tries this five times before the SUN gives
> up and sends a new request. If I tftp localhost I can get the
> 0A00000A.SUN4C file without any issues.
>
> The PC's NIC dc0 is set to: 10.0.0.1, 255.255.255.0, 10.0.0.255.

This may be connected with netmask.

RARP can't set the netmask, it assumes the classful netmask for the
address range used. For 10.0.0.0 this is in class A so it's a /8 or
netmask 255.0.0.0.

Re: Problems netbooting OpenBSD

Brandon Applegate
> On Dec 1, 2015, at 6:23 PM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015/12/02 00:00, Adrian Christiansen wrote:
>> Hi guys!,
>>
>> I'm trying to install OpenBSD on my SPARCstation IPX, from a PC
>> running OpenBSD/i386 5.8-current as of Sunday. When I got the SUN the
>> PROM was dead so I've piggy backed a new battery and a new MAC have
>> been set. Before attempting to install OpenBSD the machine was
>> installed with NetBSD over the network from a PC running Debian, using
>> tftpd-hpa, rarpd and the kernel nfs-server.
>>
>> It seems like the IP 10.0.0.10 is set OK via rarp, based on that the
>> file 0A00000A.SUN4C is being requested. However that seems to be as
>> far as it gets. After this it is in an endless loop sending a new
>> request over and over. tftpd sends the first block of boot.net binary,
>> doesn't get a response and tries this five times before the SUN gives
>> up and sends a new request. If I tftp localhost I can get the
>> 0A00000A.SUN4C file without any issues.
>>
>> The PC's NIC dc0 is set to: 10.0.0.1, 255.255.255.0, 10.0.0.255.
>
> This may be connected with netmask.
>
> RARP can't set the netmask, it assumes the classful netmask for the
> address range used. For 10.0.0.0 this is in class A so it's a /8 or
> netmask 255.0.0.0.
Hmm, I don’t think the netmask would cause this.

If the PC is 10.0.0.1/24 - then 10.0.0.10 is indeed within that subnet.  As you said - the IPX is using /8.  So even though the netmasks on each machine don’t match - they still agree that each other is on the wire.

If the IPX was 10.0.1.10 for example - then your PC would NOT believe he was on the wire and therefore need a (default) gateway to send packets back to him.

--
Brandon Applegate - CCIE 10273
PGP Key fingerprint:

On 2015/12/02 00:38, Brandon Applegate wrote:

> > On Dec 1, 2015, at 6:23 PM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 2015/12/02 00:00, Adrian Christiansen wrote:
> >> Hi guys!,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to install OpenBSD on my SPARCstation IPX, from a PC
> >> running OpenBSD/i386 5.8-current as of Sunday. When I got the SUN the
> >> PROM was dead so I've piggy backed a new battery and a new MAC have
> >> been set. Before attempting to install OpenBSD the machine was
> >> installed with NetBSD over the network from a PC running Debian, using
> >> tftpd-hpa, rarpd and the kernel nfs-server.
> >>
> >> It seems like the IP 10.0.0.10 is set OK via rarp, based on that the
> >> file 0A00000A.SUN4C is being requested. However that seems to be as
> >> far as it gets. After this it is in an endless loop sending a new
> >> request over and over. tftpd sends the first block of boot.net binary,
> >> doesn't get a response and tries this five times before the SUN gives
> >> up and sends a new request. If I tftp localhost I can get the
> >> 0A00000A.SUN4C file without any issues.
> >>
> >> The PC's NIC dc0 is set to: 10.0.0.1, 255.255.255.0, 10.0.0.255.
> >
> > This may be connected with netmask.
> >
> > RARP can't set the netmask, it assumes the classful netmask for the
> > address range used. For 10.0.0.0 this is in class A so it's a /8 or
> > netmask 255.0.0.0.
>
> Hmm, I don’t think the netmask would cause this.
>
> If the PC is 10.0.0.1/24 - then 10.0.0.10 is indeed within that subnet.  As you said - the IPX is using /8.  So even though the netmasks on each machine don’t match - they still agree that each other is on the wire.
>
> If the IPX was 10.0.1.10 for example - then your PC would NOT believe he was on the wire and therefore need a (default) gateway to send packets back to him.

Ah. Perhaps the problems I saw before were connected with portmap for
NFS rather than tftp then. But there was somewhere in the netboot process
that wanted the correct IP broadcast address which you don't get if the
netmask is wrong.

Re: Problems netbooting OpenBSD

Meelis Roos
> It seems like the IP 10.0.0.10 is set OK via rarp, based on that the
> file 0A00000A.SUN4C is being requested. However that seems to be as
> far as it gets. After this it is in an endless loop sending a new
> request over and over. tftpd sends the first block of boot.net binary,
> doesn't get a response and tries this five times before the SUN gives
> up and sends a new request. If I tftp localhost I can get the
> 0A00000A.SUN4C file without any issues.

Years ago I wrestled with a similar tftp problem on an old computer
(might have been 32-bit Sun, might have been something else from that
era that used tftp). With Linux server there was a difference between
tftp servers (don't remember which one worked and whether it was kernel
version related, but I got it to work). I also compared tcpdumps, it
might have been zero UDP or IP ID-s, or DF bit. Perhaps the last bit can
help you some.

Meelis Roos ([hidden email])

Re: Problems netbooting OpenBSD

Riccardo Mottola
Hi Stuart,

Stuart Henderson wrote:
> It seems like the IP 10.0.0.10 is set OK via rarp, based on that the

do you have perhaps by chance a third computer in that subnet to tftp
from, instead of using localhost? That may guarantee that tftp is
working besides local and that the problem restricts to some
configuration of your venerable IPX.

Riccardo

Re: Problems netbooting OpenBSD

Adrian Christiansen
Hi again!,

I got it sorted and I realize I didn't mention how the network was
setup and that was probably the cause for all of this. The
non-functional setup was the secondary nic dc0 being set to 10.0.0.1
with the different daemons listening to it. The only other host was
the Sparc.

Looking and comparing tcpdumps I saw ARP requests not getting a
response. I think this is because no router was on the network, or a
router being set. I'm really sorry for sending a mail to the
mailing-list for such a trivial mistake on my part. When I ran the
same setup facing my local network everything just worked.

Thanks for the great questions that lead to my answer! In hindsight I
should have waited a day before I posted my question. I'll have to
figure a bit more on why it didn't work when running it over a
cross-over link, but now I know there was never an issues with the
software or hardware.

>> It seems like the IP 10.0.0.10 is set OK via rarp, based on that the
>> file 0A00000A.SUN4C is being requested. However that seems to be as
>> far as it gets. After this it is in an endless loop sending a new
>> request over and over. tftpd sends the first block of boot.net binary,
>> doesn't get a response and tries this five times before the SUN gives
>> up and sends a new request. If I tftp localhost I can get the
>> 0A00000A.SUN4C file without any issues.
>
> Years ago I wrestled with a similar tftp problem on an old computer
> (might have been 32-bit Sun, might have been something else from that
> era that used tftp). With Linux server there was a difference between
> tftp servers (don't remember which one worked and whether it was kernel
> version related, but I got it to work). I also compared tcpdumps, it
> might have been zero UDP or IP ID-s, or DF bit. Perhaps the last bit can
> help you some.
>
> --
> Meelis Roos ([hidden email])

I got some time to check into this again and per your recommendation I
started to compare tcpdumps. They looked very similar, same requests
and so forth. The only difference was ARP requests sneaking in from
the SPARC machine. I think they didn't get a response because there
was no router on this network, only the two hosts connected with a
cross-over cable.

> Hi Stuart,
>
> Stuart Henderson wrote:
>>
>> It seems like the IP 10.0.0.10 is set OK via rarp, based on that the
>

> do you have perhaps by chance a third computer in that subnet to tftp from,
> instead of using localhost? That may guarantee that tftp is working besides
> local and that the problem restricts to some configuration of your venerable
> IPX.
>
> Riccardo

Per your recommendation I started testing accessing the different
services from other machines and by doing so connecting them to my
local network, instead of the cross-over link I started out with. I'm
not completely sure but I think the issue was caused by there being no
router on the network that could respond to ARP requests. When I put
all the machines and services onto the local network it just started
to work.

Anyways I managed to install OpenBSD onto the Sparc from my i386
laptop running OpenBSD (amazed by how well the kernel handle the very
broken ACPI on the T23 Thinkpad). So now I can get on with using this
system! :)

Cheers!,
Adrian.