Problem with booting

annne annnie
I don't really know much, so bear with me.B  I had windows installed on my
first partition, then I installed OpenBSD (I kept windows as my primary
partition).B  I used bootpart to add openbsd to the boot.ini file in windows
so that I could use ntldr to dual-boot.B  When I boot into OpenBSD though, it
gives me this:
RUN ATLEAST 'trace' AND 'ps' AND INCLUDE OUTPUT WHEN REPORTING THIS PANIC!B
then something like DO NOT EVEN BOTHER REPORTING THIS WITHOUT [that?]
Then it just say ddb>
I'm guessing I need to include the trace and ps outputs for you guys to help
me out, but is there a way to do that without writing it all down?B  The trace
output is really long.B  Also, should I include the dmesg so that you guys
know all my hardware?B  How would I do that in my position?

Sent from
Yahoo! Mail.

Re: Problem with booting

Sean Malloy-2
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 07:34:21AM -0700, annne annnie wrote:

> I don't really know much, so bear with me.B  I had windows installed on my
> first partition, then I installed OpenBSD (I kept windows as my primary
> partition).B  I used bootpart to add openbsd to the boot.ini file in windows
> so that I could use ntldr to dual-boot.B  When I boot into OpenBSD though, it
> gives me this:
> RUN ATLEAST 'trace' AND 'ps' AND INCLUDE OUTPUT WHEN REPORTING THIS PANIC!B
> then something like DO NOT EVEN BOTHER REPORTING THIS WITHOUT [that?]
> Then it just say ddb>
> I'm guessing I need to include the trace and ps outputs for you guys to help
> me out, but is there a way to do that without writing it all down?B  The trace
> output is really long.B  Also, should I include the dmesg so that you guys
> know all my hardware?B  How would I do that in my position?

If the computer has a serial port you could use that to capture the
dmesg. See FAQ 7.7 for details.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#SerCon

--
Sean Malloy
www.spmalloy.com
GPG Fingerprint:  D059 5076 ABB3 1E08 9965  1958 F820 CE83 13EE B747

Re: Problem with booting

annne annnie
I'm sorry, but I tried to figure out how to do it by looking on the
internet, but I couldn't figure it out.B  What equipment would I need?B
I have a serial port I believe, but what would I connect it to?

Also, I apologize for replying to you Sean.B  Honest mistake.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 07:34:21AM -0700, annne annnie wrote:
> I don't really know much, so bear with me.B  I had windows installed
on my
> first partition, then I installed OpenBSD (I kept windows as my primary
> partition).B  I used bootpart to add openbsd to the boot.ini file in
windows
> so that I could use ntldr to dual-boot.B  When I boot into OpenBSD though,
it
> gives me this:
> RUN ATLEAST 'trace' AND 'ps' AND INCLUDE OUTPUT WHEN
REPORTING THIS PANIC!B
> then something like DO NOT EVEN BOTHER REPORTING THIS WITHOUT [that?]
> Then it just say ddb>
> I'm guessing I need to include the trace and ps outputs for you guys
to help
> me out, but is there a way to do that without writing it all down?B  The
trace
> output is really long.B  Also, should I include the dmesg so that you guys
> know all my hardware?B  How would I do that in my position?

If the computer has a serial port you could use that to capture the
dmesg. See FAQ 7.7 for details.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#SerCon

--
Sean Malloy
www.spmalloy.com
GPG KeyID: 0x13EEB747
GPG Fingerprint:  D059 5076 ABB3 1E08 9965  1958 F820 CE83 13EE B747
Sent from Yahoo!
Mail.

Re: Problem with booting

Philip Guenther-2
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:34 AM, annne annnie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm guessing I need to include the trace and ps outputs for you guys to help
> me out, but is there a way to do that without writing it all down?  The trace
> output is really long.  Also, should I include the dmesg so that you guys
> know all my hardware?  How would I do that in my position?

In the past, I have whipped out a pencil and written it all down on
paper.  Just about had a hand cramp at the end, but got it all.  More
recently, I used my cell-phone's camera to photograph the screen in
small enough chunks to give readable images, and then typed it all in.
 (Do not even _think_ of sending the images.)

Philip Guenther