Problem with Realtek 8139 in very old machine

Problem with Realtek 8139 in very old machine

Giancarlo Razzolini
Hi Folks,

        First of all, i would like to congratulate all the openbsd developers,
because it's a very good OS. I'm a newcomer, from the Linux world,
precisely slackware. I haven't found much problem adapting myself to
OpenBSD, thankful to the excelent man pages, FAQ's, HOWTO's and mailing
list archives, like this.

        Now, to the problem:
        I'm building a firewall solution to my home network on top of OpenBSD.
The machine that i'm using is a very old Pentium 133Mhz, with only 40MB
of RAM (EDO), 4 PCI ports and 5 ISA ports. I do have my VGA card (a
trident TGUI) on one PCI, and a Realtek 8139 os other PCI port. The
problem that i'm having is that i managed to install openbsd correctly,
and it detects my ethernet card correctly, but it can initializate the
device. As i don't have network, i can't put a full dmesg here, but it
is something like this that shows to me:

rl0 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX no interrupt for pin A
: couldn't map interrupt

        The rl(4) man page only says that it is "A fatal initialization error
has occurred". I did some homework and found some guys saying to
deactivate plug and play (my BIOS don't have this, instead i deactivated
auto irq mappings), other guys saying to deactivate the serial ports.
I've done these both, with no success. I've even replaced the card for
one that i was sure that was working, with no success. If any of you
gurus have some hint for this, i would be vary glad. Perhaps, deactivate
the automatic detection, and passing some arguments to the kernel. I
don't know. A, by the way, my BIOS only let me to assign IRQ's 14 or 15
to the PCI port where the Realtek is. 14 is currently used for my IDE
controller. I know that the ethernet card can share the same IRQ with
the IDE controller, but i don't know if the other way arround is true.
And if i force some IRQ, my machine doesn't even pass the BIOS checks,
and freezes.

Thanks in advance,
--
Giancarlo Razzolini
Linux User 172199
4386 2A6F FFD4 4D5F 5842  6EA0 7ABE BBAB 9C0E 6B85

Re: Problem with Realtek 8139 in very old machine

Ted Unangst-2
put it in a different slot.

[hidden email] wrote:
> A stab in the dark.
> Which card in which slot does matter sometimes
> Possible that the video and the nic do not like each other.
> A firewall implies at least 2 nics. Do you see both?
> Which order?

In any slot, i have the same problems. I didn't changed the vga card
slot yet, i'll try that. I didn't putted the other nic yet, because i
didn't made one work. It will be another realtek 8139, so, if one works,
the other will be a walk in the park to configure (i hope so).

Giancarlo Razzolini
Linux User 172199
Moleque Sem Conteudo Numero #002
Slackware Current
Snike Tecnologia em Informatica
4386 2A6F FFD4 4D5F 5842  6EA0 7ABE BBAB 9C0E 6B85

Re: Problem with Realtek 8139 in very old machine

Giancarlo Razzolini
Hi again,

        I've managed to make a serial laplink connection with my linux machine,
so now i'm able to access my OpenBSD machine, using the pppd.

        I'm seding my full dmesg, for your apreciation and i hope it will help
to solve my problem:

OpenBSD 3.8 (GENERIC) #138: Sat Sep 10 15:41:37 MDT 2005
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: Intel Pentium (P54C) ("GenuineIntel" 586-class) 133 MHz
cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8
cpu0: F00F bug workaround installed
real mem  = 41529344 (40556K)
avail mem = 29970432 (29268K)
using 532 buffers containing 2179072 bytes (2128K) of memory
mainbus0 (root)
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(b7) BIOS, date 02/08/96, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xfbcf0
apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.1
apm0: AC on, battery charge unknown
apm0: flags 30101 dobusy 0 doidle 1
pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xf0000/0x638
pcibios0: PCI BIOS has 4 Interrupt Routing table entries
pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371FB ISA" rev 0x00)
pcibios0: PCI bus #0 is the last bus
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0x8000
cpu0 at mainbus0
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82437FX" rev 0x02
pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371FB ISA" rev 0x02
pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1 "Intel 82371FB IDE" rev 0x02: DMA,
channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <SAMSUNG WA32543A>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 2442MB, 5001696 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
pciide0: channel 1 disabled (no drives)
vga1 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "Trident TGUI 9440" rev 0xe3
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
rl0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "Realtek 8139" rev 0x10pci_intr_map: no
mapping for pin A
: couldn't map interrupt
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
midi0 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
spkr0 at pcppi0
sysbeep0 at pcppi0
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
biomask ff6d netmask ff6d ttymask ffef
pctr: 586-class performance counters and user-level cycle counter enabled
dkcsum: wd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
root on wd0a
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302

Once again, my thanks in advance,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
Linux User 172199
Moleque Sem Conteudo Numero #002
Slackware Current
Snike Tecnologia em Informatica
4386 2A6F FFD4 4D5F 5842  6EA0 7ABE BBAB 9C0E 6B85

Re: Problem with Realtek 8139 in very old machine

Chris Zakelj
Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:

>Hi again,
>
> I've managed to make a serial laplink connection with my linux machine,
>so now i'm able to access my OpenBSD machine, using the pppd.
>
> I'm seding my full dmesg, for your apreciation and i hope it will help
>to solve my problem:

<snip dmesg>
Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried clearing your CMOS between
all these card flips, and checking to be sure that a card-edge trace (or
a slot contactor) hasn't become damaged?

Ted Unangst wrote:

> put it in a different slot.
>
> On 12/1/05, Giancarlo Razzolini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Hi Folks,
>>
>>       First of all, i would like to congratulate all the openbsd developers,
>>because it's a very good OS. I'm a newcomer, from the Linux world,
>>precisely slackware. I haven't found much problem adapting myself to
>>OpenBSD, thankful to the excelent man pages, FAQ's, HOWTO's and mailing
>>list archives, like this.
>>
>>       Now, to the problem:
>>       I'm building a firewall solution to my home network on top of OpenBSD.
>>The machine that i'm using is a very old Pentium 133Mhz, with only 40MB
>>of RAM (EDO), 4 PCI ports and 5 ISA ports. I do have my VGA card (a
>>trident TGUI) on one PCI, and a Realtek 8139 os other PCI port. The
>>problem that i'm having is that i managed to install openbsd correctly,
>>and it detects my ethernet card correctly, but it can initializate the
>>device. As i don't have network, i can't put a full dmesg here, but it
>>is something like this that shows to me:
>>
>>rl0 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX no interrupt for pin A
>>: couldn't map interrupt
>>
>>       The rl(4) man page only says that it is "A fatal initialization error
>>has occurred". I did some homework and found some guys saying to
>>deactivate plug and play (my BIOS don't have this, instead i deactivated
>>auto irq mappings), other guys saying to deactivate the serial ports.
>>I've done these both, with no success. I've even replaced the card for
>>one that i was sure that was working, with no success. If any of you
>>gurus have some hint for this, i would be vary glad. Perhaps, deactivate
>>the automatic detection, and passing some arguments to the kernel. I
>>don't know. A, by the way, my BIOS only let me to assign IRQ's 14 or 15
>>to the PCI port where the Realtek is. 14 is currently used for my IDE
>>controller. I know that the ethernet card can share the same IRQ with
>>the IDE controller, but i don't know if the other way arround is true.
>>And if i force some IRQ, my machine doesn't even pass the BIOS checks,
>>and freezes.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>--
>>Giancarlo Razzolini
>>Linux User 172199
>>Moleque Sem Conteudo Numero #002
>>Slackware Current
>>Snike Tecnologia em Informatica
>>4386 2A6F FFD4 4D5F 5842  6EA0 7ABE BBAB 9C0E 6B85

First of all i would like to thank everybody that replyed. I tried
putting it on a different slot, and i did something more radical. i've
installed a slackware linux in the machine, and it gave me the same
error. The kernel said to me to try to boot it with the pci=biosirq
option. I did it, and i got a big kernel panic. I'm almost losing my
hopes. The thing that is most painful is that it had a windows 98
installed on the machine before putting openbsd or the linux. And the
realtek was working. I hate PnP. Well, i'll try to erase the bios, but
i've already tried using the nic, on every slot. My last option will be
to get 2 ISA cards, and try then. Thanks for all you pals. It really
helped me a lot. I've only foung this kind of support in the slackware
mail lists. I heard that the OpenBSD communty was very good, and now i
know why.

My regards,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
Linux User 172199
Moleque Sem Conteudo Numero #002
Slackware Current
Snike Tecnologia em Informatica
4386 2A6F FFD4 4D5F 5842  6EA0 7ABE BBAB 9C0E 6B85

Re: Problem with Realtek 8139 in very old machine

Joachim Schipper
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 12:07:33AM -0200, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
> Ted Unangst wrote:
> > put it in a different slot.
> >
> > On 12/1/05, Giancarlo Razzolini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Folks,

> >>       I'm building a firewall solution to my home network on top of OpenBSD.
> >>The machine that i'm using is a very old Pentium 133Mhz, with only 40MB
> >>of RAM (EDO), 4 PCI ports and 5 ISA ports. I do have my VGA card (a
> >>trident TGUI) on one PCI, and a Realtek 8139 os other PCI port. The
> >>problem that i'm having is that i managed to install openbsd correctly,
> >>and it detects my ethernet card correctly, but it can initializate the
> >>device. As i don't have network, i can't put a full dmesg here, but it
> >>is something like this that shows to me:
> >>
> >>rl0 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX no interrupt for pin A
> >>: couldn't map interrupt
> >>
> >>       The rl(4) man page only says that it is "A fatal initialization error
> >>has occurred". I did some homework and found some guys saying to
> >>deactivate plug and play (my BIOS don't have this, instead i deactivated
> >>auto irq mappings), other guys saying to deactivate the serial ports.
> >>I've done these both, with no success. I've even replaced the card for
> >>one that i was sure that was working, with no success. If any of you
> >>gurus have some hint for this, i would be vary glad. Perhaps, deactivate
> >>the automatic detection, and passing some arguments to the kernel. I
> >>don't know. A, by the way, my BIOS only let me to assign IRQ's 14 or 15
> >>to the PCI port where the Realtek is. 14 is currently used for my IDE
> >>controller. I know that the ethernet card can share the same IRQ with
> >>the IDE controller, but i don't know if the other way arround is true.
> >>And if i force some IRQ, my machine doesn't even pass the BIOS checks,
> >>and freezes.

> First of all i would like to thank everybody that replyed. I tried
> putting it on a different slot, and i did something more radical. i've
> installed a slackware linux in the machine, and it gave me the same
> error. The kernel said to me to try to boot it with the pci=biosirq
> option. I did it, and i got a big kernel panic. I'm almost losing my
> hopes. The thing that is most painful is that it had a windows 98
> installed on the machine before putting openbsd or the linux. And the
> realtek was working. I hate PnP. Well, i'll try to erase the bios, but
> i've already tried using the nic, on every slot. My last option will be
> to get 2 ISA cards, and try then. Thanks for all you pals. It really
> helped me a lot. I've only foung this kind of support in the slackware
> mail lists. I heard that the OpenBSD communty was very good, and now i
> know why.

Looks like *something* is wonky. You could try another card, or this
card in another machine, if you want to have a go at isolating the
problem.

For a more practical solution, ask around a bit and install your
firewall on the best machine you've been offered after a couple of
weeks. It's likely to be much better than what you have now, from my
experience.

                Joachim

Joachim Schipper wrote:

> Looks like *something* is wonky. You could try another card, or this
> card in another machine, if you want to have a go at isolating the
> problem.
>
> For a more practical solution, ask around a bit and install your
> firewall on the best machine you've been offered after a couple of
> weeks. It's likely to be much better than what you have now, from my
> experience.
>
> Joachim

Thanks. I already putted my hands on some ISA nic's and on some PCI
nic's from other vendors, and will try them all. Unfortunately, i have
to sticky with this solution, because i want to build a very low budget
firewall, only for my home needs (5 machines). But thanks for the reply.