Problem with 3.7 qemu package

Dave Feustel
Qemu running on OpenBSD 3.7/3.8 looks like the
greatest thing since sliced bread, but I am having
no success getting the 3.7 qemu package to boot
from the OpenBSD 3.7 cdrom, although qemu works
fine with the openbsd3.7.img file from free.os.zoo.com.
Man qemu says that qemu should boot from a real
cdrom with the  following command:

qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda x.img

where x.img is a 10G file created by qemu-img create.

Since there is no /dev/cdrom on a stock Openbsd,
I tried using /dev/cd0a instead, but to no avail.
I have tried the above command using /dev/cd0a
instead of /dev/cdrom in user mode,
with sudo, and as root. Nothing worked.

Any suggestions for getting qemu to boot from the
OpenBSD cdrom will be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone tried to compile the rawrite.c file
in the tools directory on the cdrom lately?

Thanks,
Dave Feustel
--
Tired of having to defend against Malware?
You know: trojans, viruses, SPYWARE, ADWARE,
Then Switch to OpenBSD with a KDE desktop!!!

Re: Problem with 3.7 qemu package

Jonathan Gray
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 08:57:58PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:

> Qemu running on OpenBSD 3.7/3.8 looks like the
> greatest thing since sliced bread, but I am having
> no success getting the 3.7 qemu package to boot
> from the OpenBSD 3.7 cdrom, although qemu works
> fine with the openbsd3.7.img file from free.os.zoo.com.
> Man qemu says that qemu should boot from a real
> cdrom with the  following command:
>
> qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda x.img
>
> where x.img is a 10G file created by qemu-img create.
>
> Since there is no /dev/cdrom on a stock Openbsd,
> I tried using /dev/cd0a instead, but to no avail.
> I have tried the above command using /dev/cd0a
> instead of /dev/cdrom in user mode,
> with sudo, and as root. Nothing worked.
>
> Any suggestions for getting qemu to boot from the
> OpenBSD cdrom will be greatly appreciated.

I suspect someone needs to write some code that
uses ioctls to get some information about the media
before qemu will attempt to start reading blocks
off it.

You could always use the netboot image to boot
then install off a mounted cdrom via ftp or http
if you have qemu networking setup.

Re: Problem with 3.7 qemu package

umaxx
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:57:58 -0500
Dave Feustel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Qemu running on OpenBSD 3.7/3.8 looks like the
> greatest thing since sliced bread, but I am having
> no success getting the 3.7 qemu package to boot
> from the OpenBSD 3.7 cdrom, although qemu works
> fine with the openbsd3.7.img file from free.os.zoo.com.
> Man qemu says that qemu should boot from a real
> cdrom with the  following command:
>
> qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda x.img

afaik qemu does no support this.

try this:

# readcd dev=/dev/cdrom f=file.iso
# qemu -boot d -cdrom file.iso -hda x.img

readcd is part of /usr/ports/sysutils/cdrtools.

Re: Problem with 3.7 qemu package

Todd T. Fries-2
qemu does not currently read hard drive or cdrom devices on OpenBSD. Use
an image until this is fixed.

--
Todd Fries .. [hidden email]

|                                             \  1.636.410.0632 (voice)
| Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                 \  1.405.227.9094 (voice)
| http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com             \  1.866.792.3418 (FAX)
| "..in support of free software solutions."  \          250797 (FWD)
|                                             \
  \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

               37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
                         http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt

Re: Problem with 3.7 qemu package

Ray Lai
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 08:57:58PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:

> Qemu running on OpenBSD 3.7/3.8 looks like the
> greatest thing since sliced bread, but I am having
> no success getting the 3.7 qemu package to boot
> from the OpenBSD 3.7 cdrom, although qemu works
> fine with the openbsd3.7.img file from free.os.zoo.com.
> Man qemu says that qemu should boot from a real
> cdrom with the  following command:
>
> qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda x.img
>
> where x.img is a 10G file created by qemu-img create.
>
> Since there is no /dev/cdrom on a stock Openbsd,
> I tried using /dev/cd0a instead, but to no avail.
> I have tried the above command using /dev/cd0a
> instead of /dev/cdrom in user mode,
> with sudo, and as root. Nothing worked.
>
> Any suggestions for getting qemu to boot from the
> OpenBSD cdrom will be greatly appreciated.

I did it by making a CD image first.  See dd(1).  I'm not sure if
booting directly from the device will work.

-Ray-

On Monday 07 November 2005 00:48, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 08:57:58PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > Qemu running on OpenBSD 3.7/3.8 looks like the
> > greatest thing since sliced bread

Now that I have used Qemu on OpenBSD for a day or two,
I can report that the combo is actually *greater* than sliced
bread, even when the bread has butter and jam on it :-).
Here is the URL  of a Qemu FAQ which has a lot of good info in it
not present in the standard Qemu documentation.

http://lilly.csoft.net/~jeffryj/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-b566901cb0207e8c085232c84e354cf97684ddc4