Problem mounting/unmounting a CD

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem mounting/unmounting a CD

Gabriel George POPA
       Hello BSD users,

   I think the following things are pretty clear and they don't
need a loooong explanation that anyone will be able to read:
# cd /mnt
# ls -al
ls: dvdrw0: Input/output error
total 24
drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel  512 Feb  8 15:27 .
drwxr-xr-x  19 root  wheel  512 Apr 11 19:48 ..
drwxr-x---   2 root  wheel  512 Feb  3 11:36 cdrw1
drwxr-x---   2 root  wheel  512 Feb 25 19:17 exported
drwxr-x---   2 root  wheel  512 May 29 18:39 floppy0
drwxr-x---   2 root  wheel  512 Nov 28  2005 netmount
# mkdir /mnt/dvdrw0
mkdir: /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
# df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a     18.8G   14.9G    3.0G    83%    /
/dev/wd0d      9.4G    8.2G    737M    92%    /home
/dev/wd0f      4.7G    5.4M    4.5G     0%    /tmp
/dev/wd0e     28.2G   18.7G    8.1G    70%    /usr
/dev/wd0g     26.0G   16.7G    8.0G    68%    /var
/dev/cd0a     93.9M   93.9M      0B   100%    /mnt/dvdrw0
# umount /dev/cd0a
umount: /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
# eject /dev/rcd0c
# # (the tray doesn't move, it's shut)
# eject -t /dev/rcd0c
# eject /dev/rcd0c
# # (the tray still shut remains)
# # (not CD is in the drive)
# # (my question is what happens, I cannot mount anymore any CD):
# # (take a look:)
# mount /dev/cd0a
mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
# mount /dev/cd0a
mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
# mount /dev/cd0a
mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
# mount /dev/cd0a
mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
# (the tray can be ejected and closed but only manually, by pressing the
buonly manually, by pressing the button)
 

Yes, the CD I inserted is good. No, a dmesg for you won't be useful.
And, yes, I know you would ask, here is my fstab:
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0d /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0f /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0e /usr ffs rw,nodev 1 2
/dev/wd0g /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/fd0a /mnt/floppy0 msdos rw,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0
/dev/cd0a /mnt/dvdrw0 cd9660 ro,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0
/dev/cd1a /mnt/cdrw1 cd9660 ro,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0

The optical unit is a DVD+/-RW DL, ASUS (DRW-1608P2, Rev 1.17).
Processor Intel P4, 3GHz etc. You can imagine the rest...
I run the standard OpenBSD 3.8 system. I don't think you would ask, but
if I restart the system it's all OK. It happened to me several
times; I'm not stupid, I can assure you, but every time I was tired and
I cannot reproduce the situation;
My question is: what's going on here?
All commands were of course executed from the root account.


                                                                                                     
Thanks in advance
 

                                                                                                                                 
Yours in BSDness,
                                                                                                                                             
Gabriel George POPA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem mounting/unmounting a CD

Otto Moerbeek
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Gabriel George POPA wrote:

>       Hello BSD users,
>

> /dev/cd0a     93.9M   93.9M      0B   100%    /mnt/dvdrw0
> # umount /dev/cd0a
> umount: /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
> # eject /dev/rcd0c
> # # (the tray doesn't move, it's shut)
> # eject -t /dev/rcd0c
> # eject /dev/rcd0c
> # # (the tray still shut remains)
> # # (not CD is in the drive)
> # # (my question is what happens, I cannot mount anymore any CD):
> # # (take a look:)
> # mount /dev/cd0a
> mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
> # mount /dev/cd0a
> mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
> # mount /dev/cd0a
> mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
> # mount /dev/cd0a
> mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
> # (the tray can be ejected and closed but only manually, by pressing the
> buonly manually, by pressing the button)
>

Before you try anything else, you must unmount the device. Try
umount -f /dev/cd0a
 
> Yes, the CD I inserted is good. No, a dmesg for you won't be useful. And, yes,

Home come you know a dmesg isn't useful? A dmesg is almost always useful.

        -Otto


> I know you would ask, here is my fstab:


> /dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
> /dev/wd0d /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
> /dev/wd0f /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
> /dev/wd0e /usr ffs rw,nodev 1 2
> /dev/wd0g /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
> /dev/fd0a /mnt/floppy0 msdos rw,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0
> /dev/cd0a /mnt/dvdrw0 cd9660 ro,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0
> /dev/cd1a /mnt/cdrw1 cd9660 ro,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0
>
> The optical unit is a DVD+/-RW DL, ASUS (DRW-1608P2, Rev 1.17). Processor
> Intel P4, 3GHz etc. You can imagine the rest...
> I run the standard OpenBSD 3.8 system. I don't think you would ask, but if I
> restart the system it's all OK. It happened to me several
> times; I'm not stupid, I can assure you, but every time I was tired and I
> cannot reproduce the situation;
> My question is: what's going on here?
> All commands were of course executed from the root account.
>
>
>                                                                                                      Thanks
> in advance
>
>
>                                                                                                                                 Yours
> in BSDness,
>                                                                                                                                             Gabriel
> George POPA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem mounting/unmounting a CD

Gabriel George POPA
Ok, I will send you the dmesg when it will happen again. For the moment
I have no problems.
I forgot to mention that I have tried with umount -f /dev/cd0a and
unfortunately this didn't
help either.

                                                                                 
Yours,
                                                                                       
Gabriel George POPA


Otto Moerbeek wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Gabriel George POPA wrote:
>
>  
>
>>      Hello BSD users,
>>
>>    
>>
>
>  
>
>>/dev/cd0a     93.9M   93.9M      0B   100%    /mnt/dvdrw0
>># umount /dev/cd0a
>>umount: /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
>># eject /dev/rcd0c
>># # (the tray doesn't move, it's shut)
>># eject -t /dev/rcd0c
>># eject /dev/rcd0c
>># # (the tray still shut remains)
>># # (not CD is in the drive)
>># # (my question is what happens, I cannot mount anymore any CD):
>># # (take a look:)
>># mount /dev/cd0a
>>mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
>># mount /dev/cd0a
>>mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
>># mount /dev/cd0a
>>mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
>># mount /dev/cd0a
>>mount: realpath /mnt/dvdrw0: Input/output error
>># (the tray can be ejected and closed but only manually, by pressing the
>>buonly manually, by pressing the button)
>>
>>    
>>
>
>Before you try anything else, you must unmount the device. Try
>umount -f /dev/cd0a
>
>  
>
>>Yes, the CD I inserted is good. No, a dmesg for you won't be useful. And, yes,
>>    
>>
>
>Home come you know a dmesg isn't useful? A dmesg is almost always useful.
>
> -Otto
>
>
>  
>
>>I know you would ask, here is my fstab:
>>    
>>
>
>
>  
>
>>/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
>>/dev/wd0d /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>>/dev/wd0f /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>>/dev/wd0e /usr ffs rw,nodev 1 2
>>/dev/wd0g /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>>/dev/fd0a /mnt/floppy0 msdos rw,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0
>>/dev/cd0a /mnt/dvdrw0 cd9660 ro,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0
>>/dev/cd1a /mnt/cdrw1 cd9660 ro,nodev,nosuid,noauto,noexec 0 0
>>
>>The optical unit is a DVD+/-RW DL, ASUS (DRW-1608P2, Rev 1.17). Processor
>>Intel P4, 3GHz etc. You can imagine the rest...
>>I run the standard OpenBSD 3.8 system. I don't think you would ask, but if I
>>restart the system it's all OK. It happened to me several
>>times; I'm not stupid, I can assure you, but every time I was tired and I
>>cannot reproduce the situation;
>>My question is: what's going on here?
>>All commands were of course executed from the root account.
>>
>>
>>                                                                                                     Thanks
>>in advance
>>
>>
>>                                                                                                                                Yours
>>in BSDness,
>>                                                                                                                                            Gabriel
>>George POPA