Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

Turvamies IT Security Services
Hello!

Running the CURRENT version of OpenBSD, installing cfengine fails both
from ports and from binary packages. Googling has not produced
solutions. We've removed the partial installation, compiled the
package using ports tree etc. Any ideas, anyone?

# pkg_add cfengine
quirks-2.243 signed on 2016-08-11T11:03:55Z
quirks-2.241->2.243: ok
bogus symlink bin/cf-agent
Fatal error: can't continue
Read shared items: ok
Fatal error: Installation of cfengine-3.7.2 failed, partial
installation recorded as partial-cfengine-3.7.2.21
at /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgAdd.pm line 817.

# mount
/dev/sd1a on / type ffs (local, softdep)
/dev/sd1k on /home type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/sd1d on /tmp type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/sd1f on /usr type ffs (local, nodev, softdep)
/dev/sd1g on /usr/X11R6 type ffs (local, nodev, softdep)
/dev/sd1h on /usr/local type ffs (local, nodev, wxallowed, softdep)
/dev/sd1j on /usr/obj type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/sd1i on /usr/src type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/sd1e on /var type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)

Re: Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

Turvamies IT Security Services
Dear everyone,

the problem still persists, even after compiling the whole system once
again with the very latest sources. Are we the only one experiencing
this issue?

Re: Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 11:28:10AM +0000, Turvamies IT Security Services wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Running the CURRENT version of OpenBSD, installing cfengine fails both
> from ports and from binary packages. Googling has not produced
> solutions. We've removed the partial installation, compiled the
> package using ports tree etc. Any ideas, anyone?

Try these commands:

pkg_check
pkg_add -u
pkg_add cfengine

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

Stuart Henderson
No need - it's repeatable, not a local problem. The symlink in the tgz
looks ok to me, so probably something relating to this changed in pkg_add.

On 14 August 2016 21:04:06 Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 11:28:10AM +0000, Turvamies IT Security Services wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Running the CURRENT version of OpenBSD, installing cfengine fails both
>> from ports and from binary packages. Googling has not produced
>> solutions. We've removed the partial installation, compiled the
>> package using ports tree etc. Any ideas, anyone?
>>

> Try these commands:
>
> pkg_check
> pkg_add -u
> pkg_add cfengine
>
>> # pkg_add cfengine
>> quirks-2.243 signed on 2016-08-11T11:03:55Z
>> quirks-2.241->2.243: ok
>> bogus symlink bin/cf-agent
>> Fatal error: can't continue
>> Read shared items: ok
>> Fatal error: Installation of cfengine-3.7.2 failed, partial
>> installation recorded as partial-cfengine-3.7.2.21
>> at /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgAdd.pm line 817.
>>
>> # mount
>> /dev/sd1a on / type ffs (local, softdep)
>> /dev/sd1k on /home type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
>> /dev/sd1d on /tmp type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
>> /dev/sd1f on /usr type ffs (local, nodev, softdep)
>> /dev/sd1g on /usr/X11R6 type ffs (local, nodev, softdep)
>> /dev/sd1h on /usr/local type ffs (local, nodev, wxallowed, softdep)
>> /dev/sd1j on /usr/obj type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
>> /dev/sd1i on /usr/src type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
>> /dev/sd1e on /var type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
>>

> --
> Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

Turvamies IT Security Services
Hi!

Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No need - it's repeatable, not a local problem. The symlink in the
> tgz looks ok to me, so probably something relating to this changed in
> pkg_add.

Ok, great! I'd be happy to hear more details.

- Jyri

Re: Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

jameswhite
The symlink points to  /usr/local/bin/cf-agent which doesn't appear to be in the archive

source: ftp://mirror.esc7.net/pub/OpenBSD/6.0/packages/i386/cfengine-3.7.2.tgz

tar xvzf ../cfengine-3.7.2.tgz
x +CONTENTS
x +DESC
x lib/libpromises.a
x lib/libpromises.la
x lib/libpromises.so.0.0
x bin/cf-agent
x bin/cf-execd
x bin/cf-key
x bin/cf-monitord
x bin/cf-promises
x bin/cf-runagent
x bin/cf-serverd
x bin/cf-upgrade
x share/doc/cfengine/ChangeLog
x share/doc/cfengine/README.md
x share/doc/pkg-readmes/cfengine-3.7.2
x share/examples/cfengine/abort.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/accessed_before.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/accessedbefore.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/accumulated_time.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/acl.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/acl_generic.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/acl_ntfs.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/acl_secret.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/active_directory.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/activedirectory_listusers.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/activedirectory_showuser.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/ago.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/app_baseline.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/appgroups.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/arrays.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/backreferences_files.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/badpromise.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/badtype.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/bsdflags.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/bundle_return_values.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/bundlesmatching.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/bundlestate.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/canonify.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/cf2_integration.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/change_detect.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/changedbefore.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/chdir.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/classes_global.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/classesmatching.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/classmatch.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/classvar_convergence.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/commands.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/compare.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/container_iteration.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/container_key_iteration.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/control_expand.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/controlclasses.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/copy.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/copy_classes.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/copy_copbl.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/copy_edit.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/copydir_copbl.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/copylinks.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/countclassesmatching.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/countlinesmatching.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/create_filedir.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/createdb.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/customize_by_named_list.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/data_expand.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/data_readstringarray.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/data_regextract.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/datastate.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/defaults.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/defaults2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/defaults3.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/definitions.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/deletelines.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/depends_on.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/depends_on2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/difference.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/dirname.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/disable.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/disable_and_rotate_files.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/diskfree.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/dollar.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_column_files.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_comment_lines.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_deletenotmatch.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_insert_fuzzylines.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_insert_lines.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_insert_lines_silly.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_passwd_file.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_passwd_file_basic.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_replace_string.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_sectioned_file.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_setvar.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_template.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_triggerclass.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/edit_xml.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/ensure_line_present_prepend_append.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/env.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/epimenides.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/escape.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/eval.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/every.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/exec_args.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/exec_in_sequence.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/execd.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/execresult.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/expand.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/failedcommand.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/failsafe.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/file_change_detection.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/file_hash.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/file_owner_list_template.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/fileexists.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/filenames.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/fileperms.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/filesexist.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/filesexist2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/filesize.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/filestat.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/filter.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/findfiles.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/fix_names.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/format.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getclassmetatags.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getenv.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getfields.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getgid.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getindices.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getindices_and_values.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getmacaddress.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getregistry.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getuid.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getusers.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getvalues.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/getvariablemetatags.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/global_list_expansion.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/global_list_expansion_2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/grep.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/groupexists.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/guest_environment_kvm.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/hash.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/hashcomment.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/hashmatch.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/hashuncomment.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/helloworld.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/host2ip.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/hostrange.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/hostsseen.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/hostswithclass.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/hub.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/id.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/inherit.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/insert_users.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/intarray.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/intersection.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/inventory_cpu.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/ip2host.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/iprange.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/irange.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/isdir.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/isexecutable.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/isgreaterthan.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/islessthan.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/islink.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/isnewerthan.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/isplain.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/isvariable.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/iteration.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/join.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/knowledge_driver.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/knowledge_txt.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/lastnode.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/ldap.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/length.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/linking.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/literal_server.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/locate_files_and_compress.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/log_private.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/loops.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/lsdir.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/maparray.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/mapdata.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/maplist.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/max-min-mean-variance.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/measure_log.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/measurements.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/menu.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/mergedata.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/meta.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/method.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/method_polymorph.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/method_validate.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/method_var.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/method_var2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/module_exec.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/module_exec_2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/monitord.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/motd.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/mount_fs.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/multipassvars.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/namespace.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/namespace1.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/namespace2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/namespace3.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/namespace_class1.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/namespace_classes.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/namespace_var_meta.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/namespace_var_meta2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/neighbourhood_watch.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/none.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/nth.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/null_config.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/occurrences.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestrate_chain1.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestrate_chain2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestrate_delay_trigger.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestrate_dominoes1.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestrate_dominoes2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestrate_dragon.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestrate_dragon_load_balancer.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestrate_n_of_m.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/orchestration_hostlist.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/ordering.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_apt.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_bundles.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_freebsd.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_latest.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_msi_file.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_msi_version.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_rpm.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_solaris.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_windows_feature.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_yum.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/package_zypper.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/packagesmatching.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/parallel_exec.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/parseintrealstringarray.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/parsestringarray.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/parsestringarrayidx.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/pathtype.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/pattern_and_edit.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/peerleader.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/peerleaders.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/peers.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/postfix.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/process_kill.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/process_matching.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/process_matching2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/process_matching3.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/process_restart.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/process_restart_basic.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/process_signalling.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/processes_define_class_based_on_process_runtime.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/product.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/promise_knowledge.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/promises.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/randomint.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/readcsv.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/readdata.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/readfile.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/readintrealstringlist.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/readlist.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/readtcp.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/reg_multiline.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/regarray.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/regcmp.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/regex_win.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/regextract.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/registry.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/registry_cache.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/registryvalue.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/regline.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/reglist.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/remake_outputs.pl
x share/examples/cfengine/remoteclasses.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/remoteclasses2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/remotescalar.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/remove_deadlinks.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/rename.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/repairedcommand.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/report_custom.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/report_diffs.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/report_state.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/reporting.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/reporttofile.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/resolveconf.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/returnszero.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/reverse.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/root_passwd.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/select_class.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/select_mode.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/select_region.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/select_size.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/selectservers.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/server_callback.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/server_copy_localhost.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/server_copy_purge.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/server_copy_remote.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/server_flatcopy_localhost.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/service_catalogue.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/service_catalogue_separate.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/service_disable.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/service_start.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/services_concept.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/services_win.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/setuidlog.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/setvar.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/shuffle.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/software_dist.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/software_update_version_yum.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/some.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/sort.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/splitstring.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/sql_table_structure.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/storage.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/strcmp.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/strftime.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/string_downcase.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/string_head.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/string_length.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/string_mustache.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/string_reverse.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/string_split.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/string_tail.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/string_upcase.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/stringarray.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/sublist.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/sum.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/switchcase.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/syslog.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/syslog2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/template.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/template2.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/test_environment.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/tidy_all_files.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/translatepath.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/unique.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/unpack_method_calls.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/update.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/user_edit.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/user_edit_method.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/userexists.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/users_type.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/varclass.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/varexpansion.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/variablesmatching.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/varnet.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/vars.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/warnifline.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/webserver.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/win_dns_client.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/win_emergency.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/win_registry.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/win_schedule.cf
x share/examples/cfengine/zenoss.cf
tar: Removing leading '/' from member names
x etc/rc.d/cfengine
x etc/rc.d/cf_execd
x etc/rc.d/cf_monitord
x etc/rc.d/cf_serverd
x bin/cf-agent
x bin/cf-execd
x bin/cf-key
x bin/cf-monitord
x bin/cf-promises
x bin/cf-runagent
x bin/cf-serverd
x bin/cf-upgrade

$ ls -l bin/cf-agent
lrwxr-xr-x  1 jameswhite  staff  23 Jul 26  2016 bin/cf-agent -> /usr/local/bin/cf-agent

Re: Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

Stuart Henderson
It *is* in the archive, it's in the output you pasted (though it's clearer
if you far tvzf). Someone who cares about cfengine needs to play with this
and figure out a fix/workaround. Maybe try changing the @cwd in the plist
to the parent directory and adjust the following page; perhaps something
doesn't like the two files in the tar with the same name.
--
  Sent from a phone, apologies for poor formatting.

On 19 February 2017 17:15:27 jameswhite <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> x share/examples/cfengine/win_emergency.cf
> x share/examples/cfengine/win_registry.cf
> x share/examples/cfengine/win_schedule.cf
> x share/examples/cfengine/zenoss.cf
> tar: Removing leading '/' from member names
> x etc/rc.d/cfengine
> x etc/rc.d/cf_execd
> x etc/rc.d/cf_monitord
> x etc/rc.d/cf_serverd
> x bin/cf-agent
> x bin/cf-execd
> x bin/cf-key
> x bin/cf-monitord
> x bin/cf-promises
> x bin/cf-runagent
> x bin/cf-serverd
> x bin/cf-upgrade
>
> $ ls -l bin/cf-agent
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 jameswhite  staff  23 Jul 26  2016 bin/cf-agent ->
> /usr/local/bin/cf-agent

Re: Problem installing cfengine: bogus symlink bin/cf-agent

Just removing the symlinks from PLIST lets the package build and install from a ports tree, but cf-agent appears to jus segfault on i386. Still digging into that.

--- PLIST.orig  Sun Mar  5 23:39:32 2017
+++ PLIST       Sun Mar 19 02:38:05 2017
@@ -359,14 +359,6 @@
 @rcscript ${RCDIR}/cfengine
 @cwd ${CFENGINE_BASE}
 bin/