Private cloud hosting recommendations

Martín Ferco
Hi misc,

I'm looking for alternatives to host our OpenBSD web frontends off-site. Up
until now we've been using AWS for contingecy, but as you may well know,
they only support Linux and Windows instances. We already have a couple of
OpenBSD frontends on-site, and getting all our frontends to be OpenBSD
would be ideal (instead of using Linux as contingency in AWS).

So I'm trying to find similar solutions to AWS, but with OpenBSD
capabilities. So far the only I've found is rootbsd. I've looked at
arpnetworks but they don't seem to offer private cloud hosting from what
I've seen.

Another importat thing for us is to have a private network that we can
connect to our main site and AWS using a VPN. rootbsd does seem to offer
this as well.

Ideally, I'd like something that runs an ESXi Hypervisor, which is what
we'be been using on-site with good results. rootbsd seems to offer a mix of
Xen and KVM, but I don't have experience with those. KVM seems to work fine
with OpenBSD from what I've read though.

Do you know or can recommend other private cloud providers? rootbsd does
seem to offer every thing we need, but I'm a bit concerned about them
being, probably, a small sized company. I know they won't be AWS, but it
would be reassuring if someone commented on them, especially if they have
experience running a private cloud with them. I started to look at VMware
vcloud air, but haven't heard from him yet, and was starting to take a look
at virtustream -- they seem to offer ESXi hypervisors as well as VMware
vloud air.

Thanks!

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

BergenBergen BergenBergen
Check out https://www.advania.com/cloud/infrastructure-as-a-service/
(Icelandic).

Murk

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Martín Ferco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi misc,
>
> I'm looking for alternatives to host our OpenBSD web frontends off-site. Up
> until now we've been using AWS for contingecy, but as you may well know,
> they only support Linux and Windows instances. We already have a couple of
> OpenBSD frontends on-site, and getting all our frontends to be OpenBSD
> would be ideal (instead of using Linux as contingency in AWS).
>
> So I'm trying to find similar solutions to AWS, but with OpenBSD
> capabilities. So far the only I've found is rootbsd. I've looked at
> arpnetworks but they don't seem to offer private cloud hosting from what
> I've seen.
>
> Another importat thing for us is to have a private network that we can
> connect to our main site and AWS using a VPN. rootbsd does seem to offer
> this as well.
>
> Ideally, I'd like something that runs an ESXi Hypervisor, which is what
> we'be been using on-site with good results. rootbsd seems to offer a mix of
> Xen and KVM, but I don't have experience with those. KVM seems to work fine
> with OpenBSD from what I've read though.
>
> Do you know or can recommend other private cloud providers? rootbsd does
> seem to offer every thing we need, but I'm a bit concerned about them
> being, probably, a small sized company. I know they won't be AWS, but it
> would be reassuring if someone commented on them, especially if they have
> experience running a private cloud with them. I started to look at VMware
> vcloud air, but haven't heard from him yet, and was starting to take a look
> at virtustream -- they seem to offer ESXi hypervisors as well as VMware
> vloud air.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Michel Behr
I don't have a server recommendation. Just my 0.02: for rootbsd, the fact
they might be too small do have its advantages in terms of exposure (who
would spend too much energy trying to hack them?). And for rootbsd or any
other option some backup policy would be recommended, right? (So even with
the
risk of rootbsd guys running off to Mexico with your $139.99 you would be
safe).

On Friday, 9 October 2015, Martín Ferco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi misc,
>
> I'm looking for alternatives to host our OpenBSD web frontends off-site. Up
> until now we've been using AWS for contingecy, but as you may well know,
> they only support Linux and Windows instances. We already have a couple of
> OpenBSD frontends on-site, and getting all our frontends to be OpenBSD
> would be ideal (instead of using Linux as contingency in AWS).
>
> So I'm trying to find similar solutions to AWS, but with OpenBSD
> capabilities. So far the only I've found is rootbsd. I've looked at
> arpnetworks but they don't seem to offer private cloud hosting from what
> I've seen.
>
> Another importat thing for us is to have a private network that we can
> connect to our main site and AWS using a VPN. rootbsd does seem to offer
> this as well.
>
> Ideally, I'd like something that runs an ESXi Hypervisor, which is what
> we'be been using on-site with good results. rootbsd seems to offer a mix of
> Xen and KVM, but I don't have experience with those. KVM seems to work fine
> with OpenBSD from what I've read though.
>
> Do you know or can recommend other private cloud providers? rootbsd does
> seem to offer every thing we need, but I'm a bit concerned about them
> being, probably, a small sized company. I know they won't be AWS, but it
> would be reassuring if someone commented on them, especially if they have
> experience running a private cloud with them. I started to look at VMware
> vcloud air, but haven't heard from him yet, and was starting to take a look
> at virtustream -- they seem to offer ESXi hypervisors as well as VMware
> vloud air.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Randy Westlund
On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 12:04:29PM -0300, Martín Ferco wrote:
> Do you know or can recommend other private cloud providers?

Take a look at https://www.digitalocean.com/. I've heard good things,
and I'm about to set some stuff up there myself.  The only BSD the
officially support is FreeBSD, but I know that people have been putting
OpenBSD there manually.

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Martín Ferco
Thanks for all your input!

I'm not particularly concerned about price -- if they are as expensive as
AWS (paying around $150/mo per instance there), I'd be OK as well. If they
are cheaper, the better, but I want quality and service as a priority.

Also, ideally, it should be located in the US -- we would potentially like
to build some kind of database cluster and datacenter proximity is a plus
in that case.

Thanks!

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Randy Westlund <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 12:04:29PM -0300, Martín Ferco wrote:
> > Do you know or can recommend other private cloud providers?
>
> Take a look at https://www.digitalocean.com/. I've heard good things,
> and I'm about to set some stuff up there myself.  The only BSD the
> officially support is FreeBSD, but I know that people have been putting
> OpenBSD there manually.

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

mbregg
On 2015-10-09 09:04, Martín Ferco wrote:

> Hi misc,
>
> I'm looking for alternatives to host our OpenBSD web frontends
> off-site. Up
> until now we've been using AWS for contingecy, but as you may well
> know,
> they only support Linux and Windows instances. We already have a couple
> of
> OpenBSD frontends on-site, and getting all our frontends to be OpenBSD
> would be ideal (instead of using Linux as contingency in AWS).
>
> So I'm trying to find similar solutions to AWS, but with OpenBSD
> capabilities. So far the only I've found is rootbsd. I've looked at
> arpnetworks but they don't seem to offer private cloud hosting from
> what
> I've seen.
>
> Another importat thing for us is to have a private network that we can
> connect to our main site and AWS using a VPN. rootbsd does seem to
> offer
> this as well.
>
> Ideally, I'd like something that runs an ESXi Hypervisor, which is what
> we'be been using on-site with good results. rootbsd seems to offer a
> mix of
> Xen and KVM, but I don't have experience with those. KVM seems to work
> fine
> with OpenBSD from what I've read though.
>
> Do you know or can recommend other private cloud providers? rootbsd
> does
> seem to offer every thing we need, but I'm a bit concerned about them
> being, probably, a small sized company. I know they won't be AWS, but
> it
> would be reassuring if someone commented on them, especially if they
> have
> experience running a private cloud with them. I started to look at
> VMware
> vcloud air, but haven't heard from him yet, and was starting to take a
> look
> at virtustream -- they seem to offer ESXi hypervisors as well as VMware
> vloud air.
>
> Thanks!

I've been using the VPS provider Vultr.com (https://www.vultr.com/) for
a few months now, and have no complaints.

They're KVM-based, and have datacenters in the US, Europe, Japan, and
Australia.  They allow you to install from a custom ISO, so OpenBSD
works well.

Regards,
Mike

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Seth
  Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:08:21 -0700, Mike Bregg <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> I've been using the VPS provider Vultr.com (https://www.vultr.com/) for
> a few months now, and have no complaints.
>
> They're KVM-based, and have datacenters in the US, Europe, Japan, and
> Australia.  They allow you to install from a custom ISO, so OpenBSD
> works well.

OpenBSD on VULTR customer here too, with a few points to add.

1) OpenBSD is not a supported OS, so even though it works pretty well, if
you run into any weird network drop-out issues on a particular hosting
node, in my experience they are somewhat quick to play the 'unsupported
OS' card the and give up troubleshooting.

Your best bet in these instances is to move the VPS to another datacenter.
I've moved a snapshot of a VPS that was having network problems to another
datacenter and the issue went away, go figure.

2) In the past year and a half of hosting, my VPSs have suffered approx
4-5 unplanned reboots. Typically this is when they have a problem with the
host node and it has to be bounced.

3) VULTR is more accurately described as a VPS provider with cloud-like
features, similar to Digital Ocean. I would not classify it a true 'cloud'
infrastructure service like AWS.

For something closer to AWS, you might consider something like dedify [1]
or iwstack [2]

[1] https://www.dedify.com/
[2] http://www.iwstack.com/

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Rick Hanson
Mike Bregg wrote:
> I've been using the VPS provider Vultr.com [...]

I second Vultr, fwiw.  Works a lot like DO, but better in a few ways.
I got a Vultr account back in the day when DO didn't have support for
any of the BSDs.  Been running OpenBSD on Vultr ever since.  BTW,
Vultr never emailed me the root password (or other such nonsense),
because as Mike said, you install the OS yourself.  Can't complain
about the price point either.

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Pedro Tender-2
Vultr also with OpenBSD since 5.7 which makes it something like half a year
with no problems whatsoever.
On Oct 9, 2015 7:36 PM, "Rick Hanson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike Bregg wrote:
> > I've been using the VPS provider Vultr.com [...]
>
> I second Vultr, fwiw.  Works a lot like DO, but better in a few ways.
> I got a Vultr account back in the day when DO didn't have support for
> any of the BSDs.  Been running OpenBSD on Vultr ever since.  BTW,
> Vultr never emailed me the root password (or other such nonsense),
> because as Mike said, you install the OS yourself.  Can't complain
> about the price point either.

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Fred

I'm happily running OpenBSD on:

https://www.mythic-beasts.com/

they have excellent technical support.

Cheers

Fred

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

trondd-2
On Fri, October 9, 2015 1:57 pm, MartÃn Ferco wrote:
> Thanks for all your input!
>
> I'm not particularly concerned about price -- if they are as expensive as
> AWS (paying around $150/mo per instance there), I'd be OK as well. If they
> are cheaper, the better, but I want quality and service as a priority.

$150 per instance?  For that money, why not go with dedicated hardware.

Tim.

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Martín Ferco
I can consider that as well, but I'd like to not depend on someone
inserting CDs or something like that for installing the OS for example and,
also, I'd like to have the possibility of having our private network
connected via VPN to our other sites.

I used Softlayer in the past for hosting FreeBSD, perhaps they somehow
support OpenBSD, and mounting CD images via IPMI or something like that? Do
you know any big providers that can do this?

Thanks!

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:18 PM, trondd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, October 9, 2015 1:57 pm, MartĂn Ferco wrote:
> > Thanks for all your input!
> >
> > I'm not particularly concerned about price -- if they are as expensive as
> > AWS (paying around $150/mo per instance there), I'd be OK as well. If
> they
> > are cheaper, the better, but I want quality and service as a priority.
> >

> $150 per instance?  For that money, why not go with dedicated hardware.
>
> Tim.

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Pedro Tender-2
I know that in iweb dedicated servers you can request a spider kvm with 24h
notice and not pay for that. If it's an urgent request you have to pay a
fee.
On Oct 9, 2015 9:36 PM, "Martín Ferco" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can consider that as well, but I'd like to not depend on someone
> inserting CDs or something like that for installing the OS for example and,
> also, I'd like to have the possibility of having our private network
> connected via VPN to our other sites.
>
> I used Softlayer in the past for hosting FreeBSD, perhaps they somehow
> support OpenBSD, and mounting CD images via IPMI or something like that? Do
> you know any big providers that can do this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:18 PM, trondd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, October 9, 2015 1:57 pm, MartĂn Ferco wrote:
> > > Thanks for all your input!
> > >
> > > I'm not particularly concerned about price -- if they are as expensive
> as
> > > AWS (paying around $150/mo per instance there), I'd be OK as well. If
> > they
> > > are cheaper, the better, but I want quality and service as a priority.
> > >

> > $150 per instance?  For that money, why not go with dedicated hardware.
> >
> > Tim.

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Steven Shockley
On 10/9/2015 11:04 AM, Martín Ferco wrote:
> Do you know or can recommend other private cloud providers?

I use ramnode (kvm) and core networks (physical).  Both support OpenBSD.
  Ramnode doesn't do a private network but they'll give you extra
bandwidth to compensate; I'm not sure about core.

On Fri, October 9, 2015 4:34 pm, MartÃn Ferco wrote:
> I can consider that as well, but I'd like to not depend on someone
> inserting CDs or something like that for installing the OS for example
> and,
> also, I'd like to have the possibility of having our private network
> connected via VPN to our other sites.

For a measly $30 a month I have my own system and can get a network KVM
attached for console access through which you can also provide an ISO for
it to boot from / read.  And no reason you can't VPN to the box.  I have
that set up for myself.  For $150 you've gotta be able to do even better
than that.

I was looking for cheap, so I don't have easy access to that KVM, it's by
request, and support is through their ticketing system only.  No phone or
the like.  This isn't a recommendation for a business (but for personal
use, I recommend them) but for a comparison:
https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated

For $85 you could have a 12 core 72G system, install ESX and then whatever
VMs you want. :)

Tim.

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Luke Call
I've been happy with pair networks (pair.com) for a long
time. They're up front about things, easy to work with, and
have never said or done foolish things to my knowledge.
You can check their plans and pricing. OpenBSD isn't
directly supported
but I'm pretty sure they have a cloud option where you get
a virtual server under your control. and you can probably
run OpenBSD on it (they normally support FreeBSD
and ubuntu).

On 10/09/15 09:04, Martín Ferco wrote:

> Hi misc,
>
> I'm looking for alternatives to host our OpenBSD web frontends off-site. Up
> until now we've been using AWS for contingecy, but as you may well know,
> they only support Linux and Windows instances. We already have a couple of
> OpenBSD frontends on-site, and getting all our frontends to be OpenBSD
> would be ideal (instead of using Linux as contingency in AWS).
>
> So I'm trying to find similar solutions to AWS, but with OpenBSD
> capabilities. So far the only I've found is rootbsd. I've looked at
> arpnetworks but they don't seem to offer private cloud hosting from what
> I've seen.
>
> Another importat thing for us is to have a private network that we can
> connect to our main site and AWS using a VPN. rootbsd does seem to offer
> this as well.
>
> Ideally, I'd like something that runs an ESXi Hypervisor, which is what
> we'be been using on-site with good results. rootbsd seems to offer a mix of
> Xen and KVM, but I don't have experience with those. KVM seems to work fine
> with OpenBSD from what I've read though.
>
> Do you know or can recommend other private cloud providers? rootbsd does
> seem to offer every thing we need, but I'm a bit concerned about them
> being, probably, a small sized company. I know they won't be AWS, but it
> would be reassuring if someone commented on them, especially if they have
> experience running a private cloud with them. I started to look at VMware
> vcloud air, but haven't heard from him yet, and was starting to take a look
> at virtustream -- they seem to offer ESXi hypervisors as well as VMware
> vloud air.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Private cloud hosting recommendations

Etienne
On 2015-10-09 16:04, Martín Ferco wrote:

> I'm looking for alternatives to host our OpenBSD web frontends
> off-site. Up
[...]
> vcloud air, but haven't heard from him yet, and was starting to take a
> look
> at virtustream -- they seem to offer ESXi hypervisors as well as VMware
> vloud air.

My two cents: http://buyvm.net

I have seen a few issues with their network in Europe, and they consider
you crazy for running any BSD, but they provide you with OpenBSD images,
and they're cheap.

--
Étienne