Primepower 250 vs Sunfire v215

Kihaguru Gathura-2
Hi,

For those who have experience with older Sparc machines, Which hardware
offers better reliability/stability?

Fujitsu Primepower 250 or Sun fire V215.

Kind regards

Kihaguru.

Re: Primepower 250 vs Sunfire v215

Claudio Jeker
On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 09:02:55AM +0300, Kihaguru Gathura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For those who have experience with older Sparc machines, Which hardware
> offers better reliability/stability?
>
> Fujitsu Primepower 250 or Sun fire V215.

Depends mostly on how well they were handled. Also if they are equipped
with all the PSUs. I used both for a long time, neither caused me issues.
The Primepower is bigger and needs more power but if you find a box with
good CPUs and memory it should run faster than a V215.
On the other hand the V215 has PCIe slots and so NVMe disks are an option.

:wq Claudio

Re: Primepower 250 vs Sunfire v215

Kihaguru Gathura-2
> The Primepower is bigger and needs more power but if you find a box with
> good CPUs and memory it should run faster than a V215

How did the performance of the PrimePower 250 SCSI drives compare to Sun
Fire V215 SAS drives?

Thanks and regards,

Kihaguru

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 08:00:45PM +0300, Kihaguru Gathura wrote:
> > The Primepower is bigger and needs more power but if you find a box with
> > good CPUs and memory it should run faster than a V215
>
> How did the performance of the PrimePower 250 SCSI drives compare to Sun
> Fire V215 SAS drives?

Any spinning rust is slow compared to SSD disks. I run my Fire V215 with a
NVME disk for the busy partitions (but boot from the SAS drives). This is
not really possible with the primepower 250 (hard to find any kind of SSD
for that system).

:wq Claudio

Re: Primepower 250 vs Sunfire v215

Kihaguru Gathura-2
Hi Claudio,

Based on your experience, which is the go to make for NVME Drive?

Do you have experience with the Oracle 3.2TB NVMe PCIE 3.0 Solid State
Drive with the V215?

Kind regards,

Kihaguru.

On Sunday, September 20, 2020, Claudio Jeker <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 08:00:45PM +0300, Kihaguru Gathura wrote:
>> > The Primepower is bigger and needs more power but if you find a box
with

>> > good CPUs and memory it should run faster than a V215
>>
>> How did the performance of the PrimePower 250 SCSI drives compare to Sun
>> Fire V215 SAS drives?
>
> Any spinning rust is slow compared to SSD disks. I run my Fire V215 with a
> NVME disk for the busy partitions (but boot from the SAS drives). This is
> not really possible with the primepower 250 (hard to find any kind of SSD
> for that system).

> :wq Claudio

Re: Primepower 250 vs Sunfire v215

Theo de Raadt-2
Kihaguru Gathura <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you have experience with the Oracle 3.2TB NVMe PCIE 3.0 Solid State
> Drive with the V215?

Wow, you have a thick wallet.  Use a regular laptop NVME + adapter card
for PCIE and find somewhere else to spend the money.

Primepower 250 vs Sunfire v215

Kihaguru Gathura-2
Hi Theo,

Thanks,

This would have gotten me broke.

Just looked at the price tags. unbelievable!

Regards,

Kihaguru.

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Kihaguru Gathura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Do you have experience with the Oracle 3.2TB NVMe PCIE 3.0 Solid State
>> Drive with the V215?
>
> Wow, you have a thick wallet.  Use a regular laptop NVME + adapter card
> for PCIE and find somewhere else to spend the money.

Re: Primepower 250 vs Sunfire v215

Kihaguru Gathura-2
> not really possible with the primepower 250 (hard to find any kind of SSD

There is industrial grade 80-pin SCA-2 SSD, Ultra320 by Hagiwara. Can be
limited to 73GB or 147GB usable on a Primepower 250.

They say and I quote: "Hagiwara specializes in industrial grade flash
storage and our customers pay a premium for extra endurance and
reliability."