Presentation tool

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Presentation tool

Mr Man
Hi,

I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop for it. What is the recommended application for a slides driven presentation?

Thanks

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

STeve Andre'
On Monday 24 August 2009 19:58:40 Mr Man wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop
> for it. What is the recommended application for a slides driven
> presentation?
>
> Thanks

Magicpoint, in packages.

--STeve Andre'

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Kevin Lo
In reply to this post by Mr Man
Mr Man wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop for it. What is the recommended application for a slides driven presentation?

misc/magicpoint

> Thanks

        Kevin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

nealHogan
In reply to this post by Mr Man
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 04:58:40PM -0700, Mr Man wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop for it. What is the recommended application for a slides driven presentation?

OpenOffice impress


>
> Thanks

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Rod Whitworth-3
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:52:27 -0500, neal hogan wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 04:58:40PM -0700, Mr Man wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop for it. What is the recommended application for a slides driven presentation?
>
>OpenOffice impress
>

That was a nice brief reply from one who likes it.

It would take more pages than my old hands can type to tell you all the
reasons that I found it to be totally frustrating, illogical and poorly
documented. Note that I don't try for sliding in points, embedded music
or video and otherwanky things.

As a hint try building a custom layout and master page and making them
survive saving and closing the app. It is so bad that Google found an
expert for me who told of the torture and suggested a way to achieve
it. Even that did not succeed completely for me.

If you <must> use it and want a personalised look, as soon as you get a
page that looks like you want it to, duplicate that page as many times
as you need for the presentation at hand. Always leave one of these
blank so that you have an empty page to make another copy.

etc etc etc...

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
---
This life is not the real thing.
It is not even in Beta.
If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Mr Man
In reply to this post by Mr Man
OpenOffice and magicpoitn will probably be too heavy on the little thinkpad
240x.
I am gonna try to learn latex and beamer, any good intros?
I have 2 more
thinkpads which I could comfortably run openoffice on in case the latex
experiment goes bust.

Thanks everyone.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Predrag Punosevac-2
In reply to this post by Mr Man
> Hi,

> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop for it. \
> What is the recommended application for a slides driven presentation?

> Thanks

LaTeX/Powerdot beats the crap out of Beamer. The manual is only
50 pages unlike Beemer which is 400 and some pages.
It is contained in TeXLive

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/powerdot/

Cheers,
Predrag

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Zhan-2
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Predrag
Punosevac<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi,
>
>> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop for it. \
>> What is the recommended application for a slides driven presentation?
>
>> Thanks
>
> LaTeX/Powerdot beats the crap out of Beamer. The manual is only
> 50 pages unlike Beemer which is 400 and some pages.
> It is contained in TeXLive
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/powerdot/
>
> Cheers,
> Predrag
>
>
hey,

Wow, a nice package that I have never heard of. Looks great and simple
enough to pick up.


--
Thanks and regards,

Zhan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Mr Man
In reply to this post by Predrag Punosevac-2
okay you win :)



________________________________
From: Predrag Punosevac <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 9:16:56 PM
Subject: Re: Presentation tool

> Hi,

> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop for it. \
> What is the recommended application for a slides driven presentation?

> Thanks

LaTeX/Powerdot beats the crap out of Beamer. The manual is only
50 pages unlike Beemer which is 400 and some pages.
It is contained in TeXLive

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/powerdot/

Cheers,
Predrag

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Matthieu Herrb-5
In reply to this post by Zhan-2
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Zhan<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Predrag
> Punosevac<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>
>>> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop for it. \
>>> What is the recommended application for a slides driven presentation?
>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> LaTeX/Powerdot beats the crap out of Beamer. The manual is only
>> 50 pages unlike Beemer which is 400 and some pages.
>> It is contained in TeXLive
>>
>> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/powerdot/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Predrag
>>
>>
> hey,
>
> Wow, a nice package that I have never heard of. Looks great and simple
> enough to pick up.
>

Also, have a look at Impressive! (productivity/impressive), a nice
tool to display the PDF file produced by latex. It has functions to
highlight or zoom some parts of your slides while you're talking.

--
Matthieu Herrb

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Gary Thornock
In reply to this post by Mr Man
--- On Mon, 8/24/09, Mr Man <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my
> OpenBSD laptop for it. What is the recommended application for
> a slides driven presentation?
>
> Thanks

Another option that works fairly well is s5, together with the
browser of your choice. http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

William Boshuck
In reply to this post by STeve Andre'
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 09:47:27PM -0400, STeve Andre' wrote:

> On Monday 24 August 2009 19:58:40 Mr Man wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my OpenBSD laptop
> > for it. What is the recommended application for a slides driven
> > presentation?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Magicpoint, in packages.

LaTeX's beamer class is another option (especially if there is
much mathematics in the talk).
-wb

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Lars Nooden-2
In reply to this post by Gary Thornock
Gary Thornock wrote:

> --- On Mon, 8/24/09, Mr Man <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a presentation coming up, and I would like to use my
>> OpenBSD laptop for it. What is the recommended application for
>> a slides driven presentation?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Another option that works fairly well is s5, together with the
> browser of your choice. http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

I would second S5.

Also, don't underestimate the value of a single, plain HTML page.  It
works very well, too.  The scroll bar shows how far along you are during
the presentation and to publish it on the web, well it's there already.

-Lars

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Martin Toft-2
In reply to this post by Mr Man
Vim is also an option :-)

Example presentation:

  1. wget  http://www.thecamp.dk/wiki/images/2/22/Slides.vim http://www.thecamp.dk/wiki/images/0/0c/Vim2007tc.txt
  2. Open a terminal and resize it to 80x25
  2. vim -u Slides.vim Vim2007tc.txt
     Use K to open/close major topics and zo/zc til open/close minor
     topics...

Martin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Martin Toft-2
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:52:27PM +0200, Martin Toft wrote:
>   2. vim -u Slides.vim Vim2007tc.txt

s/2/3/ ... need coffee!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Presentation tool

Aaron W. Hsu
In reply to this post by Lars Nooden-2
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 04:17:24 -0400, Lars Nooden <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> Also, don't underestimate the value of a single, plain HTML page.  It
> works very well, too.  The scroll bar shows how far along you are during
> the presentation and to publish it on the web, well it's there already.

And actually, Opera has special support for Presentations in HTML mode. If  
you can run Opera, you might find it to be just the thing you want.

<http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/operashow/index.dml>

        Aaron W. Hsu

--
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its  
victims may be the most oppressive. -- C. S. Lewis